American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rout by request??
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:32 pm 

How many of us have been in the situation where we'd need our guys to just rout the heck out of here?
<insert obligatory slam here>>> Of course the Rebs know what I'm talking about here...

Anyway what about an option to just have your troops run?
The regimental commander sees opposition forces coming around and flanking him on both sides. In the game you can't retreat far because of ZOC... but sometimes in a real battle it's like "Boys we have to get the heck outta here!! Run for your lives!!!"

The game would have a button you could select to "Rout" your unit(s).
They would take off... hopefully back to our own rear, and have to be rallied just like any routed unit.

Thoughts?

Major General Thompson
Chief of Staff
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 pm 

I've always thought the surronding of units and wiping them off the map seems illogical. Unless of course Custer/Bragg is in charge. The hex's are 150 yards and the enemy can move over multiple hex's and surrond a unit?
I always thought there should be a hex behind them left open to escape thru, take heavy causalties in the process, but be able to escape, wooded scenarios maybe surronded, but open fields??

Col. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:13 am 

Fire into their backs. I often do that by mistake (clumsy mouse finger). Fire from the rear nearly always makes troops rout. Of course not when you really want them too ...

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 am 
Not just a problem for the Rebs, but mostly. I remember a mirror match once in HPS Peninsula where the darned 1st Minnesota just would not route, was disrupted and thus could only move on or two hexes because of the terrain, and just kept fighting on and on, taking around 80% casualties before I was finally able to fully extricate them - kept them from being surrounded but could not get away for many turns and they just refused to route. Drove me nuts. [}:)]

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:00 pm 

Hi,

I have mentioned this in a post under Rich Walker's "New Rule" proposal. My suggestion was create a separate "Rout" phase at the beginning of the player turn where the phasing player could voluntarily rout units. Then he could indicate the general direction he wanted his units to rout in, whether they were voluntarily or involuntarily routed, with the proviso that they could not rout toward enemy units within a certain range, as is currently the case with rout movement.

This would have the advantage of preventing routed troops from doing absurd things like rout to a hex in front of an unlimbered enemy battery.

Another advantage is you can see which enemy units routed and in which direction, something you ought to be able to see but can't in the current system.

I also think routed units ought to have a movement of at least 12. It makes no sense to me that a unit in formation can move faster than a panicked one.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 pm 

Mike,

Yep, that's about what I was thinking... I'm not surprised someone else thought of it first!!

Major General Thompson
Chief of Staff
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:03 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I also think routed units ought to have a movement of at least 12. It makes no sense to me that a unit in formation can move faster than a panicked one.-MG Mike Mihalik <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree and I would recommend routed infantry MFs increased to 15 or even 18.
Calvary should be able to run down routed infantry, but pursuing infantry in formation and good order should not be able to catch them.

As for a "sauve qui peut" button ("save who can" = run for your lives!), I have no objection. Players could agree before play whether to use it or not.

Finally, there should be a priority on retreat routes when the AI routs a unit. The present game engine "always farther away from the known enemy if possible" is a good start. I would suggest that maximum distance, and next priority, concealment from LOS if possible. It would look something like:
1. away from and out of enemy contact if possible...
2. toward and down a road leading to the friendly rear and a supply source if available...
3. into forest hexes
3. into swamp or rough hexes

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA

“Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right—a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 am 

I have to vote no on this one. Yes, there were occasions where the cry "every man for himself" was made and often many of those men would return to the colors the next day or a couple days later but they would not rout as a cohesive unit to be reformed in 20 minutes.

I would rather see programming time spent fixing the AI tendency to rout your units behind the enemy lines than something like this that allows the player more control over his units. Or make it so routed units can't be moved by the player but automatically retreat toward their own map edge whenever enemy units come within 5 hexes.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:35 am 

Pat,

Why did'nt you say you wanted your troops to run, now I know I'll do by best to oblige.

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
2nd Bde
Granite Infantry Div.
III Corps
AoG
CSA