American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 am 

The Chancellorsville Disk may turn out to be the best Civil War disk HPS has ever produced, at least for me. For one thing I love the return to sanity of whole batteries for Confederates. Man.....I hated that sectional artillery.

Probably a good part of the appeal for me is the fact that one of my favourite old board games from the late 50's - early 60's period was Avalon Hill's "Chancellorsville" game. That game was fairly 'wide open' in the sense that the Confederates were allowed to set up anywhere south of the Rappahannock River and the North set up to the north. The Union was allowed to select one or two Corps as 'flanking corps' and these could set up anywhere between the Rappahannock and the Rapidan rivers.

Anyway, this disk has a lot of scenarios and should have good game value. I like the new feature that allows you to see who is in Command Control via a button on the main menu bar.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 am 

I had a copy of the Avalon Hill Chancellorsville game back in the day. It was nice but there was no chance of a surprise flanking movement. thank heavens for FOW. Still the old board game was fun.

AWC - Lieutenant General Bob "Stoneheart" Hughes
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, IX Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:02 am 

I'm looking forward to the chance to try out the Campaign!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:02 pm 

Talking about the old C'ville game brought back memories, did you guys play the mod from the General that covered Fredericksburg and the Wilderness battles on that game map. The mod included counter sheets with officer units, the officers had command ratings and when the corps commander failed his command check die roll his whole command could not move. That and the stacking rules allowed a very simple game system to do a decent job of recreating the historical battles allowing the outnumbered confederates to outmaneuver the larger union army.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:15 am 

Ken:

Yes, I remember that variant very well. At the time, we thought it was just great having one board but in actual fact being able to play three different Civil War Battles on it. In those days when maybe you would get a new Civil title every five years or so it was terrific.

Sadly, playing that 'old classic' just doesn't bring any excitement today. Most of us board wargamers have moved onto far more sophisticated designs. But, for its time it sure was a lot of fun.

I don't know if you ever tried the old Avalon Hill hexagon version of "Gettysburg". I'm still amazed even today how the movement factors were completely goofed up in that production. The Confederate division units were rated as 8-2's which meant they had a combat strength of 8 and a movement of 2 hexes per turn. Union units were basically 4-2's.

What was a real hoot though, was the time scale which was hourly turns. In that game it took nearly a day to march from the edge of the board on the Chambersburg Pike to the town of Gettysburg. The units just crawled to the battlefield.

Most of us just doubled the movement factor or allowed movement on roads at about four times the original value.

Those were 'Goldent Years' of war gaming. Seeing this version of Chancellorsville by HPS brings back old memories and shows us how far we have come.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:28 am 
Are there scenarios in Chancellorsville where Longstreet's two divisions were called back north in time to participate so the Rebs aren't quite so heavily outnumbered?

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><