American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: battle of Fredericksburg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:48 pm 

Okay, I'm no expert on Fredericksburg but I am finding out in this battle that the supply wagons can not cross the bridges. the men and artillery can, but not the wagons. Is this historical? Otherwise troops will have to go back and cross the river to acquire ammo.

BG Drex Ringbloom,
Cdr,2nd Div,VIII Corp
Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:02 pm 

Hi, General,

Parameter data for Fredricksburg give a max bridge strength of 500. The bridges on the map are all 300. You have to set troops to repairing them to make them strong enough to carry a wagon. Don't know if they have to be full strength to carry a wagon, but it is certainly more than infantry. Check the manual for the necessary info.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 am 

Not being an expert either I do seem to remember that there were no bridges in the vacinity. The Union had to build pontoon bridges and/or plank over the remaining pilings of destroyed ones. CSA snipers in the town made their life miserable while doing it.

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:08 am 

While I don't have Chancellorsville, the rules on bridge repair state:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Bridge Repair
By default, a bridge must have a nonzero strength before it can be crossed by units and any bridge that has been damaged cannot be repaired. When the optional Bridge Limit and Repair rule is in effect, there are two changes that occur.
The first change is that there are minimum strength values that the bridge must have to support movement depending on the type of unit. These values are based on the Maximum Bridge strength value determined by Parameter data.
• A bridge must have a strength of at least 1/4 the maximum to carry infantry units or dismounted leaders.
• A bridge must have a strength of at least 1/2 the maximum to carry cavalry units or mounted leaders.
• A bridge must have a strength of at least 3/4 the maximum to carry artillery or supply wagons.
For example, if the maximum bridge strength is 200, then a bridge must have a strength value of 50 to carry infantry or dismounted leaders, 100 to carry cavalry or mounted leaders, and 150 to carry artillery or supply wagons.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So if a bridge's max strength is 500 (it can vary by scenario, and probably is a parameter data table setting), .75 of 500 = 375, you'd have to have bridges repaired to at least 375, but would probably want more if they'd be vulnerable to enemy artillery fire as they'd only be useable at 375 in your example.

1st LT Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 am 
I have been playing some of the scenarios as the Rebs against the AI....I notice the AI never seems to build or repair the bridges at all.....Has this ability not been programmed into the AI? My solution has been somewhat comical....I rebuilt the bridges for the Yanks so they could come and fight.....lol......Hows that for ironic?

Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 am 

The A/I logic was enhanced to help with bridge crossings, but not repair.

I made an adjust to the initial brigde strength to allow supply wagons to cross without the need to repair the bridge. Some scns require repair and that fact is mentioned in the scn description, but for the others, I fixed the problem.

Patch due very soon.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"