American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:49 am 

I have started a commentary on strategy for the game on the open area of the CSA War College. I decided to present both sides and give free access since I don't think these games have enough following to worry about sides on them. Eventually I will add something on the other two Strategic games. In the case of AGEOD's ACW game though I will probably only summarize and give links to the Wiki page for the game which has much more depth than I can provide.

The link is: http: http://www.acwgc.org/CSAWC/S_StrategicGames.cfm

It will take a while to cover the whole war since I they recently made major rule changes to fix some problem areas which affect strategy.

Anyone starting a game of WbtS should get the beta patch, 1.34beta, since it fixes some serious problems with Kentucky invasion, ironclad production and supply useage. Since it is a beta patch you have to log into the members area of the Matrix site and select the special downloads section.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:02 am 

I believe it's the 1.033 Public Beta patch. Check the Matrix Games forum for Gary Grigsby's War Between the States.

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

E-Mail cetrog@comcast.net

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their innermost recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

-<i>William Tecumseh Sherman</i>-

"I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard."

- <i>William Lloyd Garrison</i> -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:49 am 

Nope - the lastest is 1.034 Beta. I am not sure what 1.033 has in it since it isn't listed any longer on the release notes. 1.034 replaces it. 1.030 released the new Kentucky invasion rules but 1.034 has more extensive changes including:

1. CSA ironclad production has a chance of not advancing depending on where it is in the production track. The fourth on ironclads have only 25% chance of advancing.

2. Leader initiative now has some new factors for calculating. Time since last passed check is added as an incremented counter going from 0 to 5. In addition in 1861 a -2 is applied.

3. Initiative Bonus for depots and supplies in hex has changed.

4. Cost of building depots and forts has gone up considerably.

5. Amphibious transport costs have doubled for 1861 through Sep turn putting a real crimp in Union landings.

Plus some other misc.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:50 am 

Went to the Matrix site and found their lastest patch, it is 1.034 Beta and its about 3.0 mb in size

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:20 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Went to the Matrix site and found their lastest patch, it is 1.034 Beta and its about 3.0 mb in size

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah it's 1.034. That's the one I had already. I just screwed up on the number.

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

E-Mail cetrog@comcast.net

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their innermost recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

-<i>William Tecumseh Sherman</i>-

"I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard."

- <i>William Lloyd Garrison</i> -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:14 pm 

I have finished the 1861 strategy guide. For those who haven't tried the game using the new patches it changes the first year of the war quite a bit. Probably favors the Union more since the supply costs for fortifications are giving the South quite a problem building up its defenses.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)