American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lieutenant's Cup
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm 

Gentlemen,

If the barkeep will silence the piano for a minute or two I wish to enter a challenge. I have proposed to my superiors the creation of a competition between lieutenants of our armies, the idea of which has been given some thought before. It has been met with enthusiasm, however there seems to be one problem: finding Yankees willing to participate.

The purpose of this proposal is quite simple:
1) To allow newly commissioned officers of both armies to engage in battle against the enemy as quickly as possible.
2) To introduce new members to each other, forming partnerships which would allow for future battles and through networking expand their opportunities for play.

The hope is that eventually as cadets graduate from their respective academies they will be paired off with a recently commissioned officer as quickly as possible, given game requirements, and participate in their first battle. In addition to the OBD points granted each officer, a talley of each quarter's results would determine the home of a cup to be designed for display in the winning academies trophy case. In the even of a tie the trophy would be displayed in this fine establishment for everyone to admire.

I wouldn't be so bold as to imply that the Yankee command is reluctant to see their new officers learn a lesson or two about the qualities of our fine southern commanders. Perhaps it just hasn't come to the attention of those that would be sending in the sheep [:D]

My pickets have been advised to allow riders to pass, and I await all replies.

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 am 

Lt Hebert Sir! (salute)

I send my compliments sir! I have just as of last month graduated from the Union Academy and I am looking for some fine Southern officers to engage in combat and in meeting new friends as well.

I am one Yankee junior officer that would love to participate in this challenge and defend the honor of our fine Union of which I hope I can persuade you fine gentlemen to return to one day. In the meantime, please count me in and let me know what I need to do in order to participate.

Yours, respectfully;

1st Lt. Mark van der Hagen
2/2/XIV/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:14 am 

Lt van der Hagen <salute>

Sir, I thank you for your interest in this endeavor! It is my sincere hope that now that one of you fine Northern gentlemen has stepped forward others may be inclined to join in.

I will dispatch a rider via your contact information, if that is acceptable. Again sir, my appreciation.

Sincerely,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 am 

Lt Herbert

Sounds like a good idea but I think you are forgetting that some new graduates are rookies while some have 30 to 40 years of wargaming experience. Not exactly a fair matchup to go straight by rank.

Anyway, if we are interested in developing a base of good players then the match ups should be newbie to somewhat up the ladder. Otherwise it would end up the blind leading (playing) the blind.

However, as I just finished off one rebel I might be interested in adding another, so add my name to the list.

1st Lt Jack Waldron
2nd Bde/1st Div/XIX Corps/AoS/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:40 pm 

I still have my LT bars, does that count?!

Great idea, looking forward to you getting it off the ground!

Regards,

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:12 pm 

Now, Lt. Waldron, you shouldn't go scaring these new Rebs in such a fashion. This warning talk of <i>mustangers</i> and <i>former sergeants </i>taking rank serves no purpose to our cause in putting this rebellion down, no matter what form it may take. Lt. Hebert is still trying to find out which size gloves are the best fit and I dare say that you'll be most happy to show him into your shop, even though its his idea!

General Laub! You must look to the general health of the Union Army, Sir, and forget this unseemly idea of dragging 3 or 4 Reb lieutenants along throught the dust behind you! We know that Washington can be a dreary place, but you must try to control these baser instincts of yours.

Lt. Hebert, do these so-called "Bayou Devils" have anything to do with Cajun cooking? I had some pretty hot-tasting deviled eggs the last time I was in New Orleans. They went extremely well with <i>Chateau de Goat</i>.

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
Second Division, 14th Corps,
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:11 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sounds like a good idea but I think you are forgetting that some new graduates are rookies while some have 30 to 40 years of wargaming experience. Not exactly a fair matchup to go straight by rank.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I concur, with Lt Walrdon on this point. However that being said, I will make some time for this project.

1st LT Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 am 
Lt Hebert

I am returning to service after away for few months and looking forward to contribute

Salute

Lt Jack Lee
"Cumberland Sabres"
4th Brigade
Cavalry Divison
XIV Corps
Army of Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:31 am 

General Meyer, My respects

I am sorry sir, I did not mean to frighten the rebs or give away valuable intelligence sir. I just thought a little friendly warning that I cut my teeth with Major SPI at Antietam and Cedar Mountain and repulsed the rebs at Pickets Charge with General Yaquinto, and I did that before I earned my commission at Newport Rhode Island (oops I meant West Point), would only be fair.

Of course, by the looks of it General Tisdale is going to hand me my head at Cedar Mountain this time.... won't be the first and most certainly won't be the last time that will happen.

1st Lt Jack Waldron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 am 

General Meyer, My respects

I am sorry sir, I did not mean to frighten the rebs or give away valuable intelligence sir. I just thought a little friendly warning that I cut my teeth with Major SPI at Antietam and Cedar Mountain and repulsed the rebs at Pickets Charge with General Yaquinto, and I did that before I earned my commission at Newport Rhode Island (oops I meant West Point), would only be fair.

Of course, by the looks of it General Tisdale is going to hand me my head at Cedar Mountain this time.... won't be the first and most certainly won't be the last time that will happen.

1st Lt Jack Waldron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 am 

Gentlemen,

General Laub and General Meyer <salute>. I appreciate the kind words and support for this endeavor. I pray that this will become a fixture within the ACWGC and will make every effort to promote and improve it. I also wish to recognize 1st Lt Mark van der Hagen for graciously agreeing to act as the Union liaison. I look forward to working together.

Lieutenants Lee, Trauth and Wauldron <salute>

I thank the gentlemen for their interest and willingness to participate in this competition. With the gentlemen's permission, I will contact you at your contact address when an opponent becomes available to coordinate the battle. I appreciate the concern that some lieutenants may have considerable gaming experience over their opponent, however if a primary goal is to introduce newer members to each other rank seems to be the most efficient way to accomplish this.

That said, if anyone has suggestions I am open to them. I suggest that Union officers work through 1st Lt van der Hagen, and that my Southern comrades contact me.

To answer General Meyer's question, I am Cajun and a grew up near Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. I love my gumbo, crawfish, boudain and cracklins. A little beer never hurts either.

My compliments,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neal Hebert</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

General Laub and General Meyer <salute>. I appreciate the kind words and support for this endeavor. I pray that this will become a fixture within the ACWGC and will make every effort to promote and improve it. I also wish to recognize 1st Lt Mark van der Hagen for graciously agreeing to act as the Union liaison. I look forward to working together.

Lieutenants Lee, Trauth and Wauldron <salute>

I thank the gentlemen for their interest and willingness to participate in this competition. With the gentlemen's permission, I will contact you at your contact address when an opponent becomes available to coordinate the battle. I appreciate the concern that some lieutenants may have considerable gaming experience over their opponent, however if a primary goal is to introduce newer members to each other rank seems to be the most efficient way to accomplish this.

That said, if anyone has suggestions I am open to them. I suggest that Union officers work through 1st Lt van der Hagen, and that my Southern comrades contact me.

To answer General Meyer's question, I am Cajun and a grew up near Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. I love my gumbo, crawfish, boudain and cracklins. A little beer never hurts either.

My compliments,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gentleman of the Union Army:

All Union Lt's that want to participate please free to contact me and I will than coordinate a game and an opponent for you with Lt Hebert.

Lt Hebert (salute)

I see you are a fine officer from the Bayou State. New Orleans (before this current squabble broke out of course) is one of my very favorite cities in the U.S. Great food, wonderful folks and an exciting city too!

Lt. Mark van der Hagen
2nd Brigade/2nd Division
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

I am pleased to announce that the first battle of the Lieutenant's Cup is set to begin. 1st Lt Mark van der Hagen (USA) and Fld Lt Harry Haines (CSA) have been introduced and are preparing their forces for battle.

My appreciation to both gentlemen for participating, and good luck.

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA (Bayou Devils)
Lieutenant's Cup CSA Liaison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

It is my pleasure to present an update on the Lieutenant's Cup competition. Four battles have been arranged or proposed by riders sent out under the flag of truce. Of these four, two battles are in progress:

Field Lieutenant Harry Haines (CSA) and 1st Lieutenant Mark van der Hagen (USA) are currently engaged in a HPS Gettysburg scenario.

Field Lieutenant Ian Travers (CSA) and 1st Lieutenant Stephen Trauth (USA) are currently engaged in a HPS Corinth scenario.

I have sent riders to check on the status of the two other proposed engagements and am awaiting their return.

If I may add, there are two fine Southern officers intersted in competing, however we have no Yankee lieutenants to match them against. Are there no more than 4 Yankee lieutenants devoted enough to risk battle?

my regards,
Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA (Bayou Devils)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:51 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

The riders have returned, and it is my pleasure to report that all four matches have either started or will shortly.

Fld Lt Harry Haines (CSA) and 1st Lt Mark van der Hagen (USA) in a HPS Gettysburg scenario

Fld Lt Hampus Drott (CSA) and 1st Lt Jack Lee (USA) in a Battleground Gettysburg scenario

Fld Lt Ian Travers (CSA) and 1st Lt Stephen Trauth (USA) in a HPS Corinth scenario

Fld Lt Paul Van Ravenswaay (CSA) and 1st Lt Jack Waldron (USA) in a Battleground Antietam scenario.

My thanks to the gentlemen for their interest in this competition, and best of luck to each of them. Do not hesitate to send a rider if you are a lieutenant and wish to be added to the list of interested officers. I have a couple of fine Southern gentlemen waiting for an opponent.

My regards,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM (Bayou Devils)