American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tiller Cons
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:01 pm 

Will there be anymore Tiller Cons? If so, when?

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

E-Mail cetrog@comcast.net

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their innermost recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

-<i>William Tecumseh Sherman</i>-

"I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard."

- <i>William Lloyd Garrison</i> -

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:11 am 

Truly a shame...I had always wished to come to one...

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:13 am 

If a group of people were to get together and make it happen I could get HPS support for it - in some fashion or another - but having me being the driving force behind it isn't going to happen again, at least as long as I'm working another full-time job outside of the gaming world. [8D] And as Bill alluded to, it would need to be a self-sustaining effort - not driven by Tiller/HPS funds.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Time to put together an ACWGC meeting. All it takes is for someone, preferably local with knoweldge of a good accomodation in the area, secure a meeting room in same. Other logistics could be worked out. Unfortunately we do not have many ACW attractions around Montreal.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:04 pm 

Why couldn't we combine our efforts with another organization. Perhaps HMGS (Historic Miniatures Gaming Club). They have many chapters including Nashville. I think Nashville would be a good location as it is somewhat central and offers many ACW sites near enough to visit before, after, or even during an event.

This method would be cheaper, and have a larger built-in wargaming crowd. The Nashville HMGS meeting always falls on Memorial day weekend. It's called NashCon.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:13 pm 

Combining with other groups seems a worthy effort and as Rich cited more reasonable, also gives a new audience to sell to.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:10 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Rich did have help with the setup but he did the coordination of procuring the site and equipment as well as collecting the fees, getting T-shirts and hats printed, getting our games to the site, etc.

In the future no one person should have to do this. While Rich did have help (I was at TC1 and Glenn Saunders and others helped out) he ran most of it.

If you are really dead set on another TC I would find out from Rich to what level of effort HPS and John Tiller are willing to help with, form up a committee to look over the expenses and logistics and then get people involved that will work on the different aspects.

One person could work on registration and hotel arrangements (getting a block of rooms, etc).

Another could work on procuring a facility.

Another group could work on the equipment angle.

But in the future its obvious that more than one person (or that person's wife!) should have to be the main show.

Rich did an admirable job with both Cons but if I was him I would be loathe to want to assume that role again.

If it does come down to folks on the committee dropping out then I would drop the idea until you can get a committed group that will follow it through.

Ernie may want to help. He is retired and if you asked him might want to help out in some way. I know he assisted Rich at TC1.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just to be clear, Bill is referring to Rich Hamilton in his post.

If there is interest in combining with NashCon, I know some of the people in charge and could ask about a joint Convention

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 am 

Sure, but as I mentioned, it happens over Memorial day weekend. So the next NashCon (not yet announced) would be May, 2010.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 am 

I have yet to visit any Civil War field...

Would love a chance to

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:36 pm 

Rich H and Rich W,

I would be willing to help with Tiller Con III. I live near Philadelphia so I'm not real close to Nashville, but I'm retired and could devote quite a bit of time to it. Rich H, I think we'd still need your help on setting up the computers, but maybe that's all we'd have to ask you to do.

I guess one of the first things we would need to do is to determine if there's an interest in the club for another Tiller Con. I thought the last one was a lot of fun, but I don't know how many we need to break even on the financial side.

Rich H, if you have the information, please let have some idea of the cost of the last two conventions. My e-mail address is GDenney@aol.com.

Thanks.

MG George Denney
1st Division, VI Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:02 pm 

NashCon would make it easy for me to help with the Logistics. The room accomodations, and gaming area should be easy to coordinate. I'd be willing to bet that the added TillerCon folks would be as welcome to their side as their folks would be welcome to ours. More is better.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 pm 

Decent chance I could make it.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:37 pm 

This sounds great, I would love to help in some way as well.

Keep me posted...

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
General
Chief of Armies - CSA
ACWGC Cabinet Member

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Abraham Lincoln
January 12, 1848.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:58 pm 

I live close to Nashville and Chattanooga and would be glad to assist in tours to either city.

Nashville's battle site is extemely small. Franklin is larger and has the Carter house and Carnaton plantaion. The staff can be contacted and private personalized tours arranged. Cold spring mall is at Franklin, for Nashville the 0pry land mall has a lot of hotels. Within 30 minutes is also Murfreesboro, a national park. They have a small site remaining with a vistors center, maps, and a walking driving tour.

30 minutes further down the road is the Springhill battlefield and Rippavilla plantation. It is small, but there is more to see than at Nashville.

Chickmauga is fantastic, and mostly intact. The vistor center contains the largest collection of muskets in the world.

Lookout mountain is worthwhile, and is rated at the south's top scenic site.

Missionary Ridge is a drive along the mountains in older subdivisions.

Ringold Gap is isolated.

Let me know how I can assist. If you time it right the annual civil war fair in Nashville last about a week, and there are re-enactments at almost all sites. I belong to the Franklin battlefield and Carter house foundation, and the staff is great.

Col. Jim Garner
1/2/III
AoA
Sons of Cleburne

"Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:45 pm 

If we do it in Nashville, I know some of the directors for the HMGS Mid-South Chapter. It's a bit early to start actual planning. Later we will need a rough head count, just for starters. When we get serious and if Nashville is chosen, I will go into high gear. But for now, here is the website.

http://www.hmgs-midsouth.org/index.htm

As I mentioned, the rooms and location will be available at the convention site with discounts.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"