American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:48 am 

Bill, perhaps you would take the time to write this up as a proposal and send it to the Cabinet for consideration rather then writing it up here in the tavern and threatening to quit if you don't get your way. As a member of the Cabinet I would love to have written proposals put in front of us for discussion so we could debate all the ramifications and then put it up for discussion for the membership. It would be nice if you could send us a description of how the system for your new club works and how we might be able to implement it for a club with a lot more members.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:03 am 

I agree, quarterly musters are all that is needed. Most of the game scenarios are much to long for people to complete in one month so monthly muster usually are the same reports over and over.

While it would be nice to automate the system I don't think its that much trouble for people to respond to a quarterly muster either.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:53 am 

I'm not sure how the other musters are done, but the AoM muster literally takes 10 seconds. Hit the email link, find your name and click "here". Why is that a problem? But if once a quarter would make everyone happy, then go for it.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:18 am 

Well I took the time to go and look up what the ACWGC rules say about mustering:

2.4 Musters. There are no club dues and no regular club meetings. It would be easy for someone to drop out of the club and the club would never know. The rules for the muster may be set up by the Chief of the Army or the Army Commanders and not be less frequently than once per quarter. Generally, the muster will be via the chain of command and is usually by email or by message board postings. Other means might be used, such as a web page format.

Therefore, if you are having a problem with your ability to muster or with your chain of command then send it up to the next level and look for redress there. The only requirement seems to be that it be done at least once per quarter though commands may deem it necessary to do so more often.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:39 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Rich - my point is that HQ still has work to do on this once a month.

They have to track people down that are ACTIVELY playing games.

This was a good example of this.

If you are active in a game there shouldnt be any need to have to muster. Only if a member reports you as AWOL should anything be done then.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't necessarily disagree, but I wonder how many games are technically in progress, but no turns have been exchanged for months or even years. Personnaly, I'm not concerned either way, but I like my AoM muster format and I think good record keeping is essential to knowing how the club is functioning.

BTW, just curious, my last two published titles have mentioned this club in my Campaign notes as a good place to find opponents. Has it had any impact on club membership?

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:53 am 

My thoughts on mustering...

I prefer regular mustering and the AdR in the NWC maty return to more frequent musters.

In general I look at mustering as not just record keeping. I look at it as a way of keeping in touch and keeping the guys involved.

I used to hod AoS musters qrterly but I have seen all to often new guys train up at what evere academy and then disappear. Mustering
is aw ay of getting them to contribute and take part and ultimately
feel like they are part of something.

The DoR is a good resource but it still requires that I go at it one officer at a time to see who is active. The army games report is not really designed well enough to tell me who is active or not.

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:08 am 

Where is the automated mustering link on the home page? I can't seem to find it.

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

E-Mail cetrog@comcast.net

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their innermost recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

-<i>William Tecumseh Sherman</i>-

"I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard."

- <i>William Lloyd Garrison</i> -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris Trog</i>
<br />Where is the automated mustering link on the home page? I can't seem to find it.

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their innermost recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over."

"I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard."

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Individual armies may have automated systems...

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:13 am 

Colonel Peters <salute>

Sir, I realize I'm a "stinky lieutenant", and from the number of posts submitted over the time you've been a member it's quite obvious that you have been very involved in the club. My intent is only to add my experience based on what I found while putting together the Lieutenant's Cup competition.

I went to the Department of Records after floating my suggestion for the Lieutenant's Cup to my superiors and being informed that it was such a great idea I was in charge of putting it together. I compiled a list of lieutenants of both armies from the Army rosters, and then went into the individual reports of each. Some of the lieutenants carried on the rosters have nothing more recent in the individual reports than several years ago. I do not believe this is a valid method of determining who is or isn't present.

my regards,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM
Bayou Devils

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:25 pm 

There's a monthly muster here?

Who knew? (I sure didn't; I thought it might be quarterly or so). I'm engaged in a campaign that has a rather large scenario as well as a smaller battle in Neal's LT's Cup.

Anyway, I guess I have to look into that (whatever or wherever that is supposed to be happening).

1st LT Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:35 pm 

I'm very busy too! But I always make the time to muster. Its how I say thanks each month to all of you for making this club what it is. Its how I stand in line with my peers and acknowledge the history that we keep alive in our gaming. Each month we're all able to stand up together and say simply, "I'm here!" North or South, it makes no matter...we fly our colors and acknowledge each other's commitment and contribution.

I've the utmost respect for <i>The Colonel</i>, and I'm sure that I'd probably feel just as slighted as he obviously does if the same thing happened to me. His presence in this club is an institution! But I also know that the ACWGC Rules may be a little sparse and not as forthcoming as they could perhaps be in how AC's, CC's and DC's go about properly handling this kind of situation. The Union Army Standing Orders at least attempt to outline the proper and courteous procedures to follow in these situations.

"A member is considered to be in good standing if he is heard from at least once per quarter. If a member is not heard from during a given 3 month period, he is moved to the Hospital for 3 months before being Discharged. <i>Every effort should be made to contact the officer in question, including emails, posts at Army and Club taverns, and soliciting opponents (use the game log to find them) for recent activity/contact, <b>prior to</b> moving an officer to Hospital or Discharged status</i>."

Maybe its time to give this thing a good shaking out and see if the muster requirement and its conventions can and should be modified, simplified and/or enhanced. To that end it might be suggested that a General Committee be formed of at least one high-ranking officer from each Northern and Southern Army to consider the issues and hear from any and all who'd wish to contribute their thoughts. I for one would like to hear about all of the various methods in which the different armies actually conduct their musters! It would seem to me that if there's one good method that can be adopted by all of the armies, then it would just make things that much more simple.

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
<font color="blue">Second Division, 14th Corps,
Army of the Cumberland</font id="blue">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 am 

I'd actually like to know how to muster in my army.

It would be nice to have a somewhat standardized system.

CE Trog
CPT, USA
6th Artillery Bde
III Div/XVI Corps
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

I agree with Col Peters that we all have real lives, however replying to an email takes no time to accomplish, and certainly we could all accomplish this within a month's (or quarter's) time. I have a full-time job, a wife, house, two dogs, kids in school, one with a learning disability and the other who can't seem to stay out of trouble lol.

The Army of the Mississippi has a nice system where a "muster" email is sent out with a link. Using a hot button you select your name, submit, and you are mustered. Nice, easy system, however that seems to require some computer expertise.

Mustering can be as easy as a simple email. Division commanders to their brigade commanders, corps to division, etc. Nobody would have more than probably 4-5 people to contact, and an email address group could be easily constructed to simplify this. Mustering is as easly as sending a reply saying "present".

I believe a top-to-bottom recall is in order to determine who is, or isn't, still around. If the recall breaks down in a command then that link needs to be addressed.

My regards,

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM
Bayou Devils

Fld Lt Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM CSA
Bayou Devils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm 

The issue between myself and Bill has been resolved and was a series of unfortunate mistakes.

I further suggest that folks take is easy on the Muster issue, as any system has its issues and the CSA as a whole has been in ups and downs for some time now and we are working to address them. I am not going to reply at all to any of Bill's statements other than we will address the muster system as time allows and conduct points are still being entered, backlogged into DoR.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:29 am 

My thoughts.

Folks expect different things out of the club. For me, it has been to play the games. I accepted division command out of a sense of responsibility to the club. So far, my only real duty has been to conduct muster and report the results to my corps commander. I find it mildly annoying but certainly not onerous. So many other folks contribute so much more to the club and to the games that I would be ashamed to gripe. Bill is one of those who has contributed a lot to the development of the games, so I feel if he wants to gripe, he has earned the right. I find it interesting that in the time I have been in the club (ten years) I have interacted a lot more with my opponents in blue than I have with my own countrymen. In sum, if they did away with the muster requirement I would not shed a tear, but then I would be even more insulated from my own army.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA