American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robert</i>
<br /><font color="beige"><b>My Top 5 would have to be

And speaking of preserving, it you enjoy visting ACW battlefields help save what is left by joining the CWPT</b></font id="beige"> http://www.civilwar.org/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, please do.

There are many exciting projects going on right now, including a very large parcel at Trevellian Station.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:39 pm 

Fort Fisher,NC
Bentonville,NC.
since both are within an hours drive of my home.Any battlefield is worth the time, even the ones that aren't that well known.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
AoM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:51 pm 

<font color="orange">"BTW, if you visit Chattanooga, don't miss Lookout Mountain. Much nicer then Missionary ridge.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker"</font id="orange">

<font color="beige"><b>Chackamauga would be my 7 or 8 pick for favorite battlefield and Lookout Mt. is something to see, while you are in the area the Chattanooga Aquarium is great, they have very nice down town area.</b></font id="beige">

<font color="orange">Bentonville,NC.
since both are within an hours drive of my home.Any battlefield is worth the time, even the ones that aren't that well known.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani</font id="orange">

<font color="beige"><b>I enjoyed my visit several years ago to Bentonville, the area is still relatively undeveloped and though it doesn't have much of a visitors center they do have one of the neatest little electric maps which clearly shows the progression of the battle....it just so happens I'm wearing my "Battle of Bentonville" T-shirt today!</b></font id="beige">[;)]

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b> </center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 am 

I would go with
1- Chickamauga- I grew up close to it and have been many times.
2- Gettysburg
3- Antietam
4- Richmond area- Cold Harbor, etc..
5- Stone's River

Ed Thornton
Lt. Colonel
2/1/II
Army of Georgia
CSA

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"
MG John Sedgewick-1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:23 pm 

I loved walking the railroad cut at Bull Run/Manassas - I was about the only person at the park on a beautiful fall day, and could really feel like Stonewall was there as the Union soldiers attacked.

I need to get to the Western battlefields, as I've only seen Gettysburg, Antietam, 7 Days, Richmond, Manassas. Would like to go back and follow the Fredricksburg/Chancellorsville battlefields, and the Cold Harbor/Wilderness/Petersburg trail.

Tough living in the Pacific Northwest and trying to do battlefields, though!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 am 

Gents
1. Gettysburg (seeing as I lived there for 5 years, how can it not be my number 1?) The countryside is just gorgeous.
2. Antietam (only a short ride from the 'Burg and equally beautiful)
3. Chancellorsville/Wilderness (have to put these 2 together as they're so close to eachother. When I went a Reb reenactor was there just hanging out near Ewell's lines at Saunders field, it was like a ghost came out of nowhere and started talking about the battle)
4. South Mountain (very little there in the way of monuments, but its pristine, just like it was in 1862)
5. Manassas (was only there once, long ago, but I remember it well. I wish I had known more about the battle at the time)

-others I have visited-
Fredericksburg
Cedar Creek
Front Royal
New Market
Seven Days/Cold Harbor
Spotsylvania
Winchester
Hanover
Richmond/Petersburg (not alot to see from what I remember)
Appomattox
Saylors Creek
Monocacy
Harpers Ferry (very very nice)

There might be a couple that I forgot, most of these I visited with my dad over 10 years ago on numerous family trips. We really want to get back into it and head out west, hit up Shiloh, Chickamauga, etc. The best thing about the Eastern Theatre fields is how close together so many of them are. Out west, there's so many of them but they are so spread out that seeing more than a couple in a short amount of time is impossible.

Major DeStefano
4/4/IV/AoTM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:26 pm 

The only two, real battlefields I've ever visited were the San Pasqual field here in Califonia (a minor clash of the Mexican-American War) and Wake island of WWII. I've never walked a Civil War-era battlefield, and I'm mightily jealous of all of you that have! You should all now chip in to make it possible for me to do so![:)]

Maj. Gen. Jos. C. Meyer
Second Division, 14th Corps,
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:50 pm 

Joe,

Just hitch a ride with General Thompson next time he heads over this way.

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."
-Major General George Meade, Commanding the Army of the Potomac, July 2, 1863

Major General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/mongohuey/generalhodge.jpg[/img]

[IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:19 pm 

A lot have been mentioned, But I'd also add Fort Sumter. You take a boat out to the fort, and once there you can see all the other battery positions around it. The dock you leave from is called Patriot's Point http://www.patriotspoint.org/ where the Carrier Yorktown, a submarine, destoyer, and a Coast Guard Cutter are docked. Here's a link to Sumter with pics:

http://www.nps.gov/fosu/photosmultimedia/sumter.htm

On the way back to Ohio, I stopped by USS North Carolina in Wilmington, NC http://www.battleshipnc.com/

It's fun seeing both Civil War stuff and WW2 stuff all in one place.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 am 

Hey Dirk,
If you had the time, about twenty miles away from the Battleship, you could of seen Fort Fisher which is a state park with visitor center. It still has some of the old earthen works, cannons etc. Which fell to the Yankee hordes in Jan 1865 [B)]and Wilmington,NC. Also across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington was another Confederate fort called Fort Anderson but the only thing left are some historical signs about it. Up the road from Wilmington on I-40 was Bentonville battlefield. I only live about 15 miles from the Battleship, last year in May the Navy had their newest Sub commissioned in Wilmington. It's the fourth Naval ship to carry the name North Carolina they were going to have it next to the battleship but the Cape Fear River isn't deep enough so they had the ceremony at the State Port. As with Naval tradition they have items from the three previous ships on the new one

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
AoM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:35 pm 

Since, "...love is a battlefield..." my favorite is, oh never mind. [:p]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am 

Unfortunately the ACW battlefields are out of reach for me. But we do have the Marston Moor battlefield (1644) just a few minutes drive away. English Civil War, that is[;)]. Also just a few minutes drive from York is Fulford (1066), Stamford Bridge (1066), Towton (1461), the Siege of York (1644). One day I'd love to get across the Atlantic and see the historic sites in North America.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:09 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />Unfortunately the ACW battlefields are out of reach for me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ditto here. The only historical battlefield I ever set foot upon, quite accidentally in fact, was when I lived in London for a short while doing archival research. My tube station was Turnham Green on the District Line and, low and behold!, the small patch of green I crossed each day on my way to the station had a historical marker identifying it as the site of the battle of Turnham Green in 1642 or so. It looked a tad small even for an ECW battle (in fact it looked too small for a soccer field), but it was probably somewhat larger before London suburbs grew all around it. Anyway, that was my only battlefield ever. Of course, absolutely nothing to be seen there. [;)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:40 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />..low and behold!, the small patch of green I crossed each day on my way to the station had a historical marker identifying it as the site of the battle of Turnham Green in 1642 or so.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes it must have been much bigger because there were possibly as many as 36,000 men present. Not much of a battle but more of a standoff with minor skirmishes and bombardment as a large Parliamentary army blocked the advance of the King's much smaller army towards London. You are never far from a battlefield of one sort or another. I would assume that it is the same in Germany, even discounting WWII.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 am 

I lived in Petersburg for several years, but left a lo-o-ong time ago (when I was in the Fifth Grade [:D] !). I re-visited it about 14 years ago, and it was much nicer than I remember as a kid - it has undoubtedly been worked on (or I appreciate it more now!).

I now live in Missouri and I've had the opportunity to visit several western battlefields. One of the nice things about living in the wilderness is that many of the parks are still in pristine condition.

<b>Shiloh </b>is my #1 favorite.

<b>Wilson's Creek</b> - I've probably been here more than any other, due to its proximity. Very nice.

<b>Corinth </b>- The battle was in town, so there isn't much left of it, but the visitor's center is top-notch. Since you won't find hotels in the Shiloh area, you'll probably want to stay at Corinth and you should take this one in while you're here. (A few years ago Dave Danner organized tour at Shiloh. Several of us spent Saturday on a personal tour of Shiloh with a park ranger, then got up Sunday morning and visited the Corinth park before heading home. A great trip!)

<b>Pea Ridge</b> - It just doesn't get much more pristine than this. It rivals Shiloh.

<b>Vicksburg </b>- The raised Cairo museum is a 'must see'.

<b>Prarie Grove</b> - Very nice, but only a state park (not part of the national park service).

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army