American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DoR Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:54 am 
General Sands,
Ernie,

Sir, in my opinion the single greatest improvement in the Club of yester year to the Club today is the DoR system. It is wonderful!

I can remember spending hours and hours entering information into spreadsheets in the past... but the DoR is an awesome system indeed. My hat is off to everyone who had a part in it. Thank you!

I'm wondering if there is a way that I can look up a specific game in the DoR by it's individual Game ID? I know a lot of times when I'm looking at the DoR to determine whether an Officer is eligible for a specific award (like a campaign ribbon) it would be cool if instead of looking at an Officer's entire gaming history... if I could pull up a single game by it's specific Game ID?

I don't think that option is available at the moment... but by viewing the current functionality of the DoR... I think it might be a minor tweak to allow such a function?

What do you think, Sir?

Warmest Regards,

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, Cavalry
IV Corps, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:29 am 

At the present time, adding more functions to the DOR is not an option.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hulinsky</i>
(...) it would be cool if instead of looking at an Officer's entire gaming history... if I could pull up a single game by it's specific Game ID?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I suppose you can use the search function of your web browser in the list of all games for that officer. Of course, you'll still have to wait for that long list too load. In my case it takes minutes. Don't know if it's my computer, or too many games played.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

I've noticed that I "time out" and get an error message if the member has more than a few games. Also, I use the DoR to confirm Lieutenant's Cup battles have been entered and see there appears to be confusion between "battle" and "maneuver", as I've noticed on several occations where members of the same army have competed in "battles". It's too bad the system can't recognize which armies the opponents are assigned to and input the correct type automatically.

Captain Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM (Bayou Devils)
Quartermaster, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neal Hebert</i>
<br />Gentlemen <salute>

I've noticed that I "time out" and get an error message if the member has more than a few games. Also, I use the DoR to confirm Lieutenant's Cup battles have been entered and see there appears to be confusion between "battle" and "maneuver", as I've noticed on several occations where members of the same army have competed in "battles". It's too bad the system can't recognize which armies the opponents are assigned to and input the correct type automatically.

Please develop, maintain and update your own version of the DOR at whatever website you want.

When YOURS is ready for all to use, I will gladly remove the current DOR.

Sorry you are so inconvenienced!

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 am 

General Sands <salute>

Sir, my compliments! I do not recall that my comments were directed at anyone, and as the DoR WAS the subject addressed I thought I'd offer my own observations. If you have taken offense to these, then I offer my apologies.

I am somewhat surprised at the beligerent manner of your response to what was an innocent observation, and will simply avoid any discussions in the future where you are a participant.

My regards,

Major Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM (Bayou Devils)
Quartermaster, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:17 pm 
General Sands,
Ernie,

Thank you, Sir!

I didn't know if it was a possibility or not. I don't know anything about such things... HTML is about my limit when it comes to this computer stuff but I thought I'd ask!

Thanks again,

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, Cavalry
IV Corps, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:24 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Neal Hebert</i>
<br />General Sands <salute>

Sir, my compliments! I do not recall that my comments were directed at anyone, and as the DoR WAS the subject addressed I thought I'd offer my own observations. If you have taken offense to these, then I offer my apologies.

I am somewhat surprised at the beligerent manner of your response to what was an innocent observation, and will simply avoid any discussions in the future where you are a participant.

Well, after re-reading your first message, I see that I did have a knee-jerk reaction and you were NOT making a proposal for additional functions. I had made the comment in response to Gen Hulinsky that "At the present time, adding more functions to the DOR is not an option."

So, to answer your post, perhaps the members of the same army being listed as their game being a battle vs a maneuver is a result of errors by the individual making the game entry. These such errors, when found, can be checked out and corrected.

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:59 am 

General Sands <salute>

Sir, my compliments. As General Lee stated in the movie Gettysburg "Things will get out of hand". I believe the DoR is quite an accomplishment and given 100 years I couldn't replicate, much less improve, the functions it performs. Perhaps my observations simply arrived at an inappropriate time or were worded poorly. For that my apologies.

I am thrilled to be a member of the ACWGC and have enjoyed my time here very much. I appreciate everthing that happens behind the scenes that make it function.

My regards,

Major Neal Hebert
4/1/I AotM
Quartermaster, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 am 

Dierk. What do you mean by" "use the use the search function of your web browser in the list of all games for that officer"? I have been trying the DOR for months and have not been able to get my "MY GAMES" or my Individual record. I CAN, however, get the Army reports for when I do the AoC's Adjutant Report. I don't want to bother Ernie about this because I know that he is working on the problem. But I was interested in what you seem to describe as another way to search the DOR with one's browsers search function. I typically log into the DOR go to Reports and hit either MY GAMES or Indvidual Officer record and get the fusion error.So how, excactly, does one use their web browser INSIDE of the DOR?

And Ernie...my sympathies and good luck. You have taken wonderful care of us for a decade or more and I know that it is a problem witih the hosting and very frustrating for you.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hulinsky</i>
(...) it would be cool if instead of looking at an Officer's entire gaming history... if I could pull up a single game by it's specific Game ID?

I suppose you can use the search function of your web browser in the list of all games for that officer. Of course, you'll still have to wait for that long list too load. In my case it takes minutes. Don't know if it's my computer, or too many games played.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps, Cumberland Sabres
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AN, AT,CHK CTH, GB, OZK, PEN, SH, VK,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:53 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
So how, excactly, does one use their web browser INSIDE of the DOR?

Well, obviously only if you actually get a report.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:09 am 

Sorry for my misunderstanding but it wasn't obvious to me. I thought you meant that one could somehow use the search in a browser to ACCESS a report. That is my problem. I have not been able to view MY GAMES report or my Individual Officer report in virtually months and months which is no exaggeration. I see now that you were responding to Neal Hebert who was in a report and wanted to find a specific members game. My bad.

BTW, the only reason I wanted to check my MY GAMES or Individual report is because of a recent peculiar error in someone's end game reports related to my adjutant's work. The only reports I can check are any player, mostly new members, who have only 10 to 12 or so games. Anyone with years of playing and a couple of dozen or more games will not come up for me. Fortunately until recently it has not infringed upon my ability to complete my adjutant reporting for the awards program. But it would have helped in this recent incident to have access. I have also tried from other computers on other systems remote from my own with the same result. I know that Ernie is working on it, and of course life goes on anyway.

Thanks for answering me.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
So how, excactly, does one use their web browser INSIDE of the DOR?

Well, obviously only if you actually get a report.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps, Cumberland Sabres
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AN, AT,CHK CTH, GB, OZK, PEN, SH, VK,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />
Just curious: has Ed dropped out or is he too busy to add more features to the database?

This truly is a really nice site. Sorry to hear that for now its gone static.

Appreciate anything you guys do on this end.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA

Who is Ed?

This site is still very much active and is not static at all. Games can be entered and ended and new members added and promotions are handled. There are problems with some of the larger reports and that is a temporary situation.

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Who is Ed? Ed was one of the guys that started the DOR database from what I remember.

Met him at Tiller Con I.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA

Are you thinking of Don Adams perhaps?

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:09 pm