American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Replacement Leaders
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:59 am 

Gentlemen,
I have a question concerning Replacement Leaders. I am fighting scenario in the Atlanta Campaign where I am given replacement leaders for a coulpe of Corps commanders and Division commanders. To be more historicly accurate I should replace the existing commander corp commander(LT. GEN POLk )with replacement leader (Lt. Gen. Stewart)but the replacement leader seems to have no command radius. If I remove Gen Polk from the borad will Gen Stewart get a command radius? What can I do?[?] Help or advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Brig. Gen. Tom Moore CSA
1st(Moore's)Brigade
2nd Div.,III Corp
Army of the Mississippi

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:02 am 

Normally you don't get replacement leaders unless the original leader is killed, wounded, or captured. Are you sure it isn't just the second in command your are looking at? They've been added to the last few games for some historical flavor but don't have any command functions unless they replace the first in command.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am 

If he hasn't got a command range, that would be my guess too.

Does he show in yellow letters?

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url]Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:51 am 

A long time ago there was a "catch-22" of sorts. If a formation contained two leaders in the oob, and both were on the map, AND the first leader (white lettering) was eliminated before the second leader (yellow lettering), then no replacement leader would show up, even IF the second leader was subsequently lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:46 am 

In order to address the specifics of General Moore's post, he would need to send a game file to myself or HPS support.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:49 am 

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all your responses. I have contacted Rich Walker about the Replacement Leaders. Thanks Again for all your help.

Brig. Gen. Tom Moore CSA
1st(Moore's)Brigade
2nd Div.,III Corp
Army of the Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:27 am 

After looking at the game file, both Polk and Stewart are present, so only the senior commander will have a command radius, so yes, if Polk is removed, Stewart will be promoted and have command radius.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:18 pm 

Bill,

As you know, replacement leaders are auto assigned when the named leader list is exhausted. This has been tested for ten years, or perhaps I don't understand your question, which is entirely possible. [:D]

And if you're asking about about SIC leaders, yes they too get promoted.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm 

I ran a few quick checks using some test files I put together with the editor. Here are my results.

I placed both leaders on the map, placing the orginal leader in a hex by himself and captured him with the other side. On the next turn the replacement leader showed up as having replaced the original commander in the command report and then had a command range.

I then placed both officers on the map, set the original leader up on the map edge and removed the original commander from the map edge using the Command/Remove from map function and the replacement officer did not show up in the command report nor did he have a command range.

I then set up the replacement leader on the map without the original leader using the editor and the replacement leader does not have a command range.

Finally I used the Split Leader command in the editor and removed the original commander which produced an unnamed Replacement Leader who then becomes the commander regardless of the existence of the named replacement on the map.

From this test it would seem to me that if the original commander is killed/wounded/captured and the named replacement officer is on the map at that time he will take over the command on the next command phase and will have a command range. Just removing the original commander from the map or leaving him off in the editor will not give the named replacement officer command nor will he have a command range.

It may be that in a campaign if the original commander is killed then the named replacement in the oob will take command in the next battle but I did not check this out.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS