American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:50 pm 

General Hodgkiss <salute>

Sir, my compliments! It's unfortunate to hear of any misfortune you might have suffered at Franklin, however I'm sure we will put the captured supplies to good use in defense of our noble cause. Some may even make it to Gettysburg, as it appears our forces are moving steadily toward a showdown there.

Enough with business. Barkeep! A drink for the honorable Yankee officer, and everyone else for that matter. Nicodemus tells me General Hulinsky is in a festive mood and good for it.

Lt Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:15 pm 

Thank you Col. Hebert and Gen. Hulinsky for the kind words, tomorrow two gallant military schools will meet on the field of honor. Again Navy with triumph again over Army [B)]for the eighth time in as many years [:D] "SALUTE"

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3/3/III AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:47 am 
Gentlemen,

The following Officer's have earned AotM Maneuver Citations for maneuver games within the Army of the Mississippi in the month of November.

<center><b>FRONT & CENTER</b></center>

<center><b>Major General Przemek Niedzielski</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Jul15766.</center>

<center><b>General Roger Hulinsky</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Jul15766.</center>

<center><b>Brig. General Owen Evans</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16278 (a KotH Match).</center>

<center><b>Lt Colonel Chris Newcomb</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16278 (a KotH Match).</center>

<center><b>Lt Colonel Neal Hebert</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16295 (a Koth Match).</center>

<center><b>Lt Colonel Herb Nagel Jr</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16295 (a Koth Match).</center>

<center><b>Lt Colonel Neal Hebert</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16307 (a KotH Match).</center>

<center><b>Brig. General Owen Evans</b></center>

<center>Image</center>

<center>For 09Nov16307 (a KotH Match).</center>

A significant number of these maneuvers represent matches played in the KotH Tournament in which Round Three is nearing completion. <salute>

Congratulations, gentlemen!

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:52 am 

General Hulinsky <salute>

Sir, I have received a rider from General Amos with a reply to our first proposed scenario which reads

"Although the "Struggle" is an impressive scenario there are alternatives. I'll keep you posted."

Sir, I have a copy of your "Yankee translator" and if I'm deciphering the message correctly it reads:

"You've got to be kidding me! There is no way I am facing 100,000 screaming Rebels with an unlimited supply of ammunition. We'd prefer Pickett's Charge".

Does the general's translation come out the same?

My regards,

Lt Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:11 am 
Lt Colonel Hebert,
Neal,

Well Sir... though it is pretty hard to read the chicken scratches that General Amos calls writing... I came out with pretty much the same thing that you did... except instead of "Pickett's Charge" it was McClellan's retreat up the Pennisula. [;)]

BTW... what's up with Nicodemus? He looks pretty buff! Is he on some sort of protein supplements or has his diet of Yanks increased significantly lately?

Warmest Regards,

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:21 am 

Sir, Nicodemus has been working with our division's master fitness trainer to prepare for our upcoming battles. His diet has been rich in protein, however we discourage him from eating Yankee guests to the tavern. They might notice their inventory of pack horses is down, however.

My regards,

Lt Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:43 am 
Howdy there rebs...has anyone seen Lt Col. Hebert? I was ah... inspired by that cool new Battle Flag you've been sporting around the M&D Tavern. I ah contacted General Frank Mullins to sees if he could ah come up withs a new flag for the VIII Corps. How does you like it? I mean...it IS Christmas...General Mullins knows me...(hiccup)...and even put it on his tab! He knows I'm good for it... [;)]

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."
-Major General George Meade, Commanding the Army of the Potomac, July 2, 1863

Lt. General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS
<i>"Like sheep to the slaughter"</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:53 am 

[:0]

Lt Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am 

My dear Southern Generals;

Any fool can push 100,000 men with unlimited time and supplies to victory, well except McClellan perhaps (not you Gary![:)], the guy from the 1860's).

Real generals are able to get the job done with minimum resources. I'm thinking a much smaller force, with a much shorter time frame to work within.

Afterall, although mpgs are fun, I'm not married to you guys, and don't want the game to last 'til death do we part! [:o)]

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
4th "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, 1st Div, XX Corps, AoC, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:08 am 

General Amos <salute>

Sir, we are mobilized and await a proposal.

My regards,

Lt Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:00 pm 

General Hulinsky, Colonel Hebert,

MPGs don't have to be huge lifetime commitments. Struggle isn't too impressive for me, it will just take too much of our real life time to play out, and has a very high chance of falling apart due to its size. I'd like to suggest something more reasonable to work with.

I have made a scenario called the 'Battle of Littlestown'. (16 turns)

3:00 p.m. June 12th, 1863 - *Hypothetical* Nearly identical forces.
Some small arms range difference amongst the cavalry, a few leader
variences, and the Rebel artillery has better quality (recommend
"DO NOT" use the "Quality Fire Modifiers" Optional Rule.) Each
infantryman and cavalryman is worth 1 VP, each cannon is worth
25 VPs. Supply Points are worth zero VPs. The Union holds Littlestown
to start and each hex of the town is worth 5 VPs. A Minor Win
represents 15% of an army's strength, while a Major Win represents
30%. Since the battle starts late in the day, all combat units
begin with 350 Fatigue Points (recommend you "DO" use the "Higher
Fatigue Recovery Rates" Optional Rule.)

Each army has 4 brigades: 3 of infantry, and 1 of cavalry. They each have 18 guns in support, in 9 sections. Each army has an identical number of infantry units. All infantry units are armed the same, and of the same quality: C. Each infantry unit has a 'mate' of the same size in the other army. Each army has an identical number of cavalry units, as well. There are 4, and they are all 100 men strong. 3 are B quality, and 1 is C quality. The brigade and division commanders are fairly equal. The artillery is comprised of 3 3" rifle armed sections (6 guns with 21 hex range), and 6 Napoleon armed sections 12 guns with 13 hex range.) All troops start on the map. The battle starts at 3pm and ends at 8pm, giving players 4 hours of daylight (12 turns), 1 hour of dusk (3 turns), and 1 turn of night (to tidy up.) The town of Littlestown is twelve hexes, and each is worth 5 VPs for a total of 60 VPs. It begins in Union hands, and is in the center of the map. I have set the Minor Win level at 15% of an army's strength, and the Major Win at 30%. The Union is the first army, therefore setting the levels as: -1,440; -690; 750; and 1,500. The game starts at 60 DRAW.

I have place the zip file containing the scenario and map file at the GameSquad. In thier download section under HPS/American Civil War/Scenarios. Hopefully, this link will take you there directly.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... le&id=2122

I propose a mpg could be played with one player commanding the cavalry, reserve artillery battery, and divisional CO, and 3 other players each commanding a bde of inf. Of course this can be modified. I hope this scenario will challenge player's tactical, and operational skills, and not thier human endurance. [;)]

Of course it would be good as a one-on-one, two-on-two, three-on-three, or even a five-on-five if one person played just as the divisional CO, directing the others, and not moving units. The OPTIONAL MELEE at the end of the turn could be used with this one without too much difficulty, as well. (I think.) It could even be good for tournament play.

BTW, plenty of arty ammo for each army: 576.

I recommend NOT using the Opional Rule "Quality Fire Modifiers" as I could only find B quality CSA arty, and C quality USA arty.

I recommed Do use the Optional Rule "Higher Fatigue Recover Rates" as all combat units start with 350 Fatigue Points, to reflect any marching, etc they've been doing prior to the 3pm start time.

So that's my idea, let's not waste weeks of wandering about with thousands of troops only to have player after player drop out. Let's see how good each of can actually fight.

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
4th "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, 1st Div, XX Corps, AoC, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:25 pm 
Major General Amos,
Al,

It sounds like a very interesting scenario! Thank you for taking the time to put it together! <salute>

I fully understand your not wanting to be tied into a 200 turn scenario and we can accommodate you with a shorter one. I'm in the process of downloading your scenario and taking a look at it. <salute>

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 pm 

Sir, my compliments! I have observed the proposed scenario from General Amos and provided my comments by rider to each of the commands. Riders have also been dispatched to our commanders for their observations.

My regards,

Lt Col Neal Hebert
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:14 pm 

General Bullinsky?!

What in tarnation happened to my flag?! IV Corps may NEVER get a shot at getting theirs returned!

"General Sickles, this is in some respects higher ground than that to the rear, but there is still higher in front of you, and if you keep on advancing you will find constantly higher ground all the way to the mountains."
-Major General George Meade, Commanding the Army of the Potomac, July 2, 1863

Lt. General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/mongohuey/generalhodge.jpg[/img]

[IMG]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 am 
Lt General Hodgkiss,
Rusty,

Good afternoon, Sir! May I offer you a drink? May I suggest black coffee? [;)]

You need to get yourself a different flag anyway! General Miller is sporting a version of your new flag now and since he's the AoP Cmdr... you should just let him have it. Yea, yea... I know you are a Meade man but I'm sure we could come up with something very good for you!

Now seriously... I enjoy playing with graphics (as you well know) and I would be most happy to help you put together something new. If you have some ideas... shoot them to me and I'll try to put something together for you. I actually enjoy creating flags... though I'm not nearly as good at it as Lt General Mark Adams is. I need to discover his secret.

As for the old IV Corps Flag... well, the IV Corps has a new Corps Cmdr and a new Corps Flag. I've moved on to the Army level so I'm not sitting around fretting over it's loss. It would certainly would be nice to reclaim it... but it would only be retired to some stale closet somewhere after it's recaptured.

Send my regards to your lovely wife! <salute>

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next