American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 pm 

I am currently perusing "The Sword of Lincoln, The Army of the Potamac" by Jeffry D. Wert.

Very solid book and an excellent overview of how Lincoln related to it's commanders and troops.

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:01 am 

I'm currently reading This Terrible Sound by Peter Cozzens on the Battle of Chickamauga. I'm glad to hear you like the Wert book as I picked it up on the bargain rack the other day at my local book store.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:42 am 

Finishing "Fighting for the Confederacy" by E.P. Alexander. They're just abandoning Richmond, so there's maybe 30 pages left. It's a largely unrevised version of his civil war reminiscences, the core of which was later published as his "Military Memoirs", but without much of the original stuff. Actually it's a jolly good read, especially the early parts where there are many anecdotes of the war and how it felt to be there, how the artillery was organized etc. The later sections, beginning with the Wilderness, and especially when EPA commanded all the artillery of the Richmond-Petersburg lines, are more in the nature of a general operational history of the seabord theater and thus not quite as refreshing, because mostly you've read it before somewhere.
EPA is harshly critical of Jackson for his Seven Days performance, and moderately critical of Lee for allowing his lieutenants too much latitude, not controlling them more once battle was joined. Of course, Longstreet is his hero.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image
"... and keep moving on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 am 

Currently I am reading O'Reilly's <i></i>The Fredericksburg Campaign<i></i>. A great read, and as far as I know, the best and most detailed description of the Battle of Fredericksburg out there... Recommended [:)]

Lt Gen Atle Jenssen
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:34 am 

That Terrible Sound is a great read.

Lt. Elkin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 pm 

Hi,

am just into "Why the South Lost the Civil War" by Archer Jones and a couple of others. Have earlier read "How the North Won the Civil War" by the same authors and both are really good.

Another great title is "Roads From Gettysburg" which is very interesting as it treats the immediate days/ week after the battle and the race back to Viginia.

Fld Lt Lars Magnus
SS Bn/ 1/ III/ AoG/ CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:52 pm 

Shelby Foote's Red River to Appomattox - I am determined to get through this one, as I read the first 2 volumes in sequence -then I can get on with my life. :)

Capt. Stephen Trauth
XVI Corps 1st Division 6th Brigade (divisional artillery)
AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 am 

Anybody read "Lee's Lieutenants"--the original three-volume edition I mean, not the abridged? I might read that one next (I read the introduction to vol. 1 a while ago and instantly liked it).

And Longstreet's "Manassas to Appomatox"? That too is waiting on my shelf to be read.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:30 am 

Gen Walter <salute>

I have read the 3 volume edition of Lee and the Longstreet book. The Lee book is brillant, and Longstreet's book is also good, but somewhat self serving. However, since I really like James, I enjoyed it. If I had to read just one Civil War Book, I believe it would be "Killer Angels".

Lt. Elkin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cruces</i>
I have read the 3 volume edition of Lee and the Longstreet book. The Lee book is brillant, and Longstreet's book is also good, but somewhat self serving. However, since I really like James, I enjoyed it. If I had to read just one Civil War Book, I believe it would be "Killer Angels".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, as you may have noticed from what I said earlier, I too have picked my Southern sympathies quite discriminatingly.

Of course, with respect to Alexander, as a gunner at heart, I am simply interested in artillerymen. One of my earliest civil war biographies was Henry Hunt's.

Regarding "Killer Angels", I devoured it the first time I saw it, and read it many times since then. A great read, but to be sure, not a really accurate portrayal of the battle. And once you've read Alexander (and probably Longstreet too, and there we go again), you know what Shaara must have read ...

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:33 pm 

Have read Wert's AoP book as well as a couple others of his, also have Cozzen's books on Stone's River and Chick in my bookcase.

Currently reading Gordon Rhea's book on Spotsylvania. A friend bought the whole set and has loaned it to me, have finished the Wilderness book and about halfway through this one with North Anna and Cold Harbor still to go. I've always had a good opinion of Grant and the author does a pretty good job of pointing out that he was not the butcher he was made out to be by the early ACW historians, many of whom had their own ax to grind. His narrative shows Grant's attempts to maneuver and the problems he had with the AoP officers mindset. At the same time he doesn't whitewash Grant pointing out the mistakes he felt were made. All in all for me an interesting read so far as I'm not very familar with this campaign.

Gen. Ken Miller
3/VIII
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:48 pm 

Hello:

Osprey-Native American Mounted Rifleman 1861-65.

Regards:

Lt. General A. de Meré

1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:01 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="4">Gents,

I always have at least one ACW book going at all times, usually is my lunch time read. Currently I am reading "War Along The Bayous - The 1864 Red River Campaign in Louisiana" by William Brooksher.

I have read all of the book that Jeff Shaara has written as I love his story telling ways, good read. I thought that Noah Trudeau' Gettysburg was a great read with very nice maps and good detail on units.

I also thought a great deal of Stephen Sears book 'To the Gates of Richmond - The Peninsula Campaign'. Again some nice maps and good detail on the OoB for both sides. Larry Daniel's book Shiloh is another very nice read.

Okay, I just can't stop here. My all time favorite author and I have read all of his books is W.E.B. Griffin, started with the Brotherhood of War (US Army after WWII) and then the Corps (US Marine Corps in China just prior to WWII and into Korea). What a story writer and now his son is joining him so the hits should just keep on coming!

If I was to select just one book to read it would be Anton Myrer's 'Once an Eagle' (1291 pages). I am still trying to find a copy of the mini series from back in the late 70's starring my main man Sam Elliott. Follows the career of an army Officer from WWI thru Vietnam.

Okay, my library also includes my other favorite authors such as Irishman Jack Higgins, with his Flight of the Eagles as my favorite. Stephen Coonts, Dale Brown and Tom Clancy all of them related to more modern warfare. Thank goodness for Costco and Ebay for expanding my reading materials.

<font color="orange">David, yeah Harold Coyle wrote some real good ones early on. He has also written (1995) a ACW novel called 'Look Away'. I have the book but haven't read it. In the back of the book is a pic of Harold in a CSA reinactment uniform.[:D]</font id="orange">

<font color="pink">Gents, just completed Coyle's Look away and am looking forward to the second part of the story picking up after the battle of Gettysburg.

Have started James McPherson's 'Tried by War'. Also just picked up last week from Costco Jeff Sharaa's final book in the WWII Trilogy which starts with the Battle of the Bulge. First couple of chapters are real interesting. The 1st one was a navigator on a B-17 flying daylight bombing, pretty terrifying. Next we pick up a squad from the 106th ID moving to replace the 2nd IN on line. New guys being subject to artillery fire, cold, wet, mudding, snowy conditions. Pretty powerful stuff.</font id="pink">

Regards,</font id="size4"></font id="Book Antiqua">

<font color="limegreen"><font size="4">Gen Nick Kunz
Commanding
3/4/II Corps
Army of Georgia</font id="limegreen"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 pm 

Gents,
Devouring Shelby Foote at the moment, just past Mine Creek in Red River to Appomattox. Nothing like 3000 pages of Civil War reading!!
<salute>

Lt. Col. Nick DeStefano
IV "Wolf-Pack" Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:23 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Currently I am reading O'Reilly's The Fredericksburg Campaign. A great read, and as far as I know, the best and most detailed description of the Battle of Fredericksburg out there... Recommended <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm reading that same book right now. It is very good, actually.
Also, has anyone else read John Hennessy's <i>Return to Bull Run</i>? I think its one of the finest Campaigns studies I've read.

Lt. Dylan McCartney
IV Brigade/ I Division
XIV Corps
Army of the Cumberland
Union Army