American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:37 am 

I applaud the idea to create sectional batteries and smaller battalions. However, this has had a grave sideaffect in one of my games at Chancellorsville. Because there are more artillery units, columns in the woods take a longer time to move. It doesn't make sense to me that a 6-gun battery lumped together should take up less room on a road than the same battery divided into three sections of two. Columns can therefore be doubled or even tripled in length as a result, and in a place like the Wilderness, that is crippling.

This applies to infantry too, with small sharpshooter units taking up as much road space as the 1000 man regiments behind them. Is there a way that HPS could fix this, to allow these miniscule units to not take up so much space?

Lt. Dylan McCartney
IV Brigade/ I Division
XIV Corps
Army of the Cumberland
Union Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 am 

Hi, Lieutenant,

The short answer is "Yes they Can!"

If you play the WWII games, there is some mechanism in the game where the road can support only a certain number of strength factors at road movement, after which succeeding units move at the cost of terrain. Not sure how it works, or how much trouble it would take to adapt to the ACW engine. There are a number of features in the WWII games I would like to see applied to the ACW engines, but don't know if we will ever see it.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:52 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DMcCartney</i>
It doesn't make sense to me that a 6-gun battery lumped together should take up less room on a road than the same battery divided into three sections of two.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sure doesn't. Though I'd tend to say the problem is the six-gun battery taking up only one hex. Just as with a whole regiment of cavalry. For my money, the longer road column is more realistic.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
USA CoA-elect
[url="http://www.home.datacomm.ch/dierk.walter/2VIIIAoS/persrecord.htm"]Image[/url] Image Image
"... and keep moving on."