American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:00 pm 

Lt Gen T Thompson: noted and changed it to Lt Gen P Thompson. My apologies but Roger said that you wouldn't notice nor care. I thought that it would have been cute if I could have included a middle initial (Lt Gen T N Thompson or General TNT).

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

BTW...

I think Roger prefers to go by his nickname, "Pumba"...

So if everyone refers to him this way... all is well...

http://www.catshoes.com/Tubes/Cartoons/pumba003.gif

Lt. General Thompson
XIX Corps,
Army of the Shenandoah

"That's damn ungenerous! I shall take those guns for that!"

-General Phil Sheridan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 am 

How goes Round 2?

(Mostly just to bump this topic back to Page 1!)[;)]

General Jeff Laub
Eastern Theater, Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:42 pm 

General Laub <salute>

Sir, I will provid a report if you demand so! General Ed Blackburn won a major victory over me in a well-fought battle on his part. I surprised him with a two-brigade attack on his right flank, however insufficient movement points for my forces prevented a disaster for him [:D]

Raid on Stephenson's Depot is a nice scenario, however if the Yankee sits back on the defense it is near impossible for the Rebels to advance in my opinion. You take too many casualties on the offense to offset the 75 points (I believe) you might gain from taking the objective.

My regards,

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Deputy Commandant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:47 pm 

With 2.5 weeks to go in Round Two (deadline is Wednesday May 5th), let’s see how things look.

Round Top Bracket:
This round started with 11 Yanks and 5 Rebs still alive. At the moment, 2 Yanks and 1 Reb have advanced to the quarterfinals with 5 matches unsettled thus far. The Union No 1 seed (Brig Gen Shaw) has successfully advanced, as has the Union No 3 seed (Gen Laub) and the Confederate No 2 seed (Brig Gen Taylor). In return, 2 Yanks and 1 Reb have bitten the dust.

Cemetery Ridge Bracket:
This round started with 6 Yanks and 10 Rebs still kicking. As of now, 3 Yanks and 2 Rebs have advanced to the quarterfinals with 3 matches unsettled thus far. The Union No 1 seed (Brig Gen Shaw) is still alive in this bracket as well along with the Union No 2 seed (Lt Gen Thompson) and the Union No 6 seed (Lt Gen Blackburn). Joining them is the Confederate No 2 seed (Gen Mallory) and 13 seed (Lt Col Gandt). In return, 1 Yank and 4 Rebs have bit the dust.

Culp’s Hill Bracket:
This is the quarterfinal round for this bracket. There were 7 Yanks and 1 Reb that started this round. 3 Yanks are still standing with the Union No 1 seed (Brig Gen Shaw) trying to sweep every bracket, the Union No 2 seed (Gen Laub) is also still alive in every bracket and trying to keep pace with Brig Gen Shaw, while the Union No 3 seed (Lt Gen McBride) has also advanced and will be the next test for Brig Gen Shaw. The Confederate No 1 seed ( Lt Col Magnus) is still locked in battle with the Union No 4 seed (Maj Gen Seger) for the final slot in the semifinals.

Just a word concerning the scenario that will be used for the next round in each bracket. This scenario pits the Rebel and Union cavalry corps against one another. If you are feint of heart, then you might as well surrender before you start. Since every unit is cavalry (or artillery or commander or supply wagon) then think of them as fast infantry. You will meet on high ground in the middle of the field which is where the objective hexes are located. But watch your front, watch your flanks, watch your rear. This one should quench any blood thirsts that you might have.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:54 pm 

Gentlemen, Round Two finishes at midnight (Central Standard Time) on Wednesday, 5 May. Most results are already in with the following being the only outstanding games:

Round Top Bracket
…..Lt Col Welleman vs Brig Gen Jones
…..Lt Col Magnus vs Maj Gen Seger

Cemetery Ridge Bracket
…..Gen Laub vs Gen Tisdale
…..Lt Col Magnus vs Maj Gen Ringbloom

Culp’s Hill Bracket
…..Lt Col Magnus vs Maj Gen Seger

If you’ve already finished then contact me. If you can’t finish, then contact me. If you can finish, then contact me when you do.

The system used to seed the participants has worked pretty well thus far. Which seeds have survived is as follows:

Round Top Bracket Remaining Contestants

C1 Lt Col L Magnus, AoG (match results pending)
U1 Col D Shaw, AoC
C2 Brig Gen A Taylor, AoG
U2 Lt Gen P Thompson, AoS
C3 Maj Gen J Welleman, AotM (match results pending)
U3 Gen J Laub, ETC
U4 Gen D Golen, AoP
U6 Brig Gen K Jones, AoT (match results pending)
U8 Gen K Miller, AoP
U9 Maj Gen M Seger, AoS (match results pending)

Cemetery Ridge Bracket Remaining Contestants

U1 Col D Shaw, AoC
C2 Gen D Mallory, AotM
U2 Lt Gen P Thompson, AoS
C3 Brig Gen A Taylor, AoG
U3 Gen J Laub, ETC (match results pending)
U6 Lt Gen E Blackburn, AoS
C7 Gen W Tisdale, CoA (match results pending)
U8 Maj Gen D Ringbloom, AoS (match results pending)
C13 Col M Gandt, ANV

Culp’s Hill Bracket Remaining Contestants

U1 Col D Shaw, AoC
U2 Gen J Laub, ETC
U3 Lt Gen D McBride, AoP
U4 Maj Gen M Seger, AoS (match results pending)

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AoS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:15 am 

Sirs:

My apologies -- it would appear that the paperwork has lost its way. Col. Wellman defeated BG Jones in our contest. It was a good fight, a nice scenario, but had an unfortunate ending (for me). Congratulations to Col. Wellman, I hope to meet him again somewhere on another field.

BG Ken 'Muddy' Jones
Army of Tennessee
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:49 am 

The second round the tournament has been completed and round three has commenced. How about a hand for the gentlemen who have succeeded in making it this far!

Round Top Bracket Quarterfinals (Round 3)
…..U1 Brig Gen D Shaw, AotC…….. vs ..U8 Gen K Miller, AotP
…..C2 Brig Gen A Taylor, AoG……. vs ..U3 Gen J Laub, ETC
…..U2 Lt Gen P Thompson, AotS….. vs ..C3 Maj Gen J Welleman, AotM
…..U9 Maj Gen M Seger, AotS…….. vs ..U4 Gen D Golen, AotP

Cemetery Ridge Bracket Quarterfinals (Round 3)
…..U1 Brig Gen D Shaw, AotC…….. vs ..C13 Col M Gandt, ANV
…..C2 Gen D Mallory, AotM………. vs ..U3 Gen J Laub, ETC
…..U2 Lt Gen P Thompson, AotS…... vs ..C3 Brig Gen A Taylor, AoG
…..U8 Maj Gen D Ringbloom, AotS.. vs ..U6 Lt Gen E Blackburn, AotS

Culp’s Hill Bracket Semifinals (Round 3)
…..U1 Brig Gen D Shaw, AotC…….. vs ..U3 Lt Gen D McBride, AotP
…..U2 Gen J Laub, ETC…………….. vs ..U4 Maj Gen M Seger, AotS

That means that 15 of the 20 remaining slots belong to Yanks. At least this round no Reb will be eliminating a Reb so Confederate nation needs to get behind your 5 representatives and cheer them on. There are no Rebs left in the Culp’s Hill Bracket for you to cheer for as the top 4 seeded Yanks are all that survive.

The scenario that they are playing this round is Worth Dying For Scenario A. This is a scenario that is all cavalry (along with leaders, artillery, and supply wagons) and it is not designed for the feint at heart. If you aren’t fighting by turn 2 then you may be … cluck, cluck … chicken.

It’s time for a look back at the Round 2 scenario results (the scenario was Raid On Stephenson’s Depot). The side that played the Yanks won it 9 times outright, the Reb side won it 5 times outright, and there were 6 draws/disqualifications. Again, the wins were tilted in favor of the Yank side. It can be argued whether or not that is due to bad karma or lack of shoes.

Again, 13 different folks lay claim to the 20 remaining slots in the tournament. Give them support or give them hell (guess it depends upon your leaning and upbringing). Two gentlemen (Generals Laub and Shaw) are still alive in all three brackets and still don’t fight each other in this round but face some pretty tough opposition. Meanwhile Generals Seger, Taylor, and Thompson are still in two brackets but the opponents keep getting tougher and tougher.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AotS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 am 

Gentlemen <salute>

Congratulations to all who have advanced to round three! I'd love to see something at the War College from the Confederate officers who advanced from the "Raid on Stephenson's Depot" scenario, as I know all to well how it can be lost [B)]

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Deputy Commandant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 am 

I, the Tournament Director, will be out of touch 16-21 May (Sunday thru Friday of next week) so if you have any issues with round 3, don't delay in addressing them. Personally, by next week I expect all of you to be battling so hard that it'll be difficult for the rest of us to get any sleep due to the battle noise and smell of gunpowder.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AotS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 am 

Quite a distinguished list of opponents! Two former CoA's battling in the Cemetery Ridge division!

Good luck, all (except my opponents of course!)[:D]

General Jeff Laub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:42 am 

Time for a tournament update as we’re about halfway through the 3rd Round (deadline for finishing Round 3 is midnight 3 July). Of the 10 games scheduled for this round, 4 of them have already been completed (not a surprise as this scenario probably won’t go the distance with very many contestants).

In the Round Top Bracket, Brig Gen Shaw (the Union Army top seed) has advanced to the semi-finals as has Gen Laub (the Union Army 3 seed). We are still waiting on final results from Lt Gen Thompson (the Union Army 2 seed) against Maj Gen Welleman (the Confederate Army 3 seed) and also waiting on results of Maj Gen Seger (the Union Army 9 seed) versus Gen Golen (the Union Army 4 seed). As you notice, there is only 1 Reb still alive in this bracket and every opponent is a tough hombre.

In the Cemetery Ridge Bracket, Maj Gen Ringbloom (the Union Army 8 seed) has advanced to the semi-finals. The others are still battling it out, which are Brig Gen Shaw (the Union Army top seed) versus Col Gandt (the Confederate Army 13 seed); Gen Mallory (the Confederate Army 2 seed) versus Gen Laub (the Union Army 3 seed); and Lt Gen Thompson (the Union Army 2 seed) versus Brig Gen Taylor (the Confederate Army 3 seed).

In the Culp’s Hill Bracket, Brig Gen Shaw (the Union Army top seed) has advanced to the finals. He awaits the winner of Gen Laub (the Union Army 2 seed in this bracket) versus Maj Gen Seger (the Union Army 4 seed in this bracket). As you notice, Rebs have already been eliminated from this bracket.

I haven’t noticed any Reb cheerleaders trying to encourage their own to victory! Of course, I don’t blame the Reb command for hiding them as I got a peek at the little piggies. I’d hide them too if my cheerleaders were as fat, ugly, and had such hairy legs as those little piggies had. The Union Command can’t talk too much though because the Union cheerleaders got arrested for indecent exposure and they were fully dressed with coats, leggings, and the whole works. I guess it was the noses.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/VIII/AotS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:59 pm 

Colonel Shaw and I have begun our Championship match in the Culps Hill division!

General Jeff Laub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:16 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />Colonel Shaw and I have begun our Championship match in the Culps Hill division!

General Jeff Laub
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Here's to a Union victory!

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />Colonel Shaw and I have begun our Championship match in the Culps Hill division!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gen. Laub,

Having been beaten soundly by Colonel Shaw I can tell you it won't be easy beating him.

Gen. Ken Miller
AotP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next