American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:24 pm 

I was trolling the internet when I came across a rare and unpublished study conducted by the Union Army early in the Civil War. What the union were concerned about was the loyalty of their officers and it had been noted that a high percentage of Confederate officers were considered handsome and dashing, whereas most Union officers looked like they had been beaten senseless by an ugly stick. So they were interested to see if they could gauge loyalty by looks of the officer.

The study found that indeed the Confederacy had more handsome officers by a factor of 3 to 1. This lead the Union to generally employ only ugly officers in high command positions. It can be seen that this policy has been carried though to the current day, were a high portion of US Army officers are indeed ugly – just compare them to USN/Marine and Air Force officers.
[:D]

Major General Cam McOmish
Commander Western Theater
Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:42 pm 

General McOmish <salute>

Sir, my compliments! A couple of comments, if I might.

1) I'm happy I retired as an Army noncommisioned officer and escaped the ugly test [:D]

2) In the new Army there are also female officers, and I've served with a couple that must have escaped the other services [:p]

My regards,

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm 

My condolence to you Col Hebert Suh, in your choice of service "Army". Myself I'm a retired Navy Seabee and didn't miss the ugly stick just ask my wife [:D]. If you noticed they've been placing women into what were only male units. Since 1997 they've been placing females into the Seabee battalions and at my last duty station we had a female commanding officer but she wasn't to bad to work for, and I worked with, some were ok others weren't.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3/3/III AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm 
Suh,
The study you referred to was simply a replication of an earlier study which had shown the inescapable fact that Southern men are absolutely better looking, more dashing, and more intelligent than their Northern counterparts. The study has been since confirmed over and over by study after study to the point where it is just accepted as inescapable fact.
The general concensus of the situation was and is that the Southern male has to be these things in order to procreate, as the "Southern Belles" are used to a highly polished courtship, whereas, in general, a six pack and a pizza could easily land a wife up North....Survival of the fittest you know......

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm 

General Bastiani <salute>

Sir, my compliments!

Your condolences are appreciated, however not warranted. I am proud of my service, as I'm sure you are. We both served our nation honorably for a good part of our adult lives. God bless those who have stepped up in our place.

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:07 pm 

Maybe this topic should be retitled "We lost the war but Nana-a -booboo we look better than you"

General Don Golen

1/1/V/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:59 pm 

Col. Hebert Suh,
Was just a pickin at you about the Army, I came from a Navy family. My dad was a career Navy he served 26 yrs, WWII, Korea on Destroyers, an Uncle on Subs WWII. Only one brother served Army and a cousin was a Marine [:0] and me I served from 71 to 97. I heard somewhere that they are thinking of making the active duty personnel pay for their health care "what a bunch of ***********************"[:(!] after all that they go through. Again was just pickin'

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3/3/III AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:22 pm 

One vital fact remains in this discussion -

While Southerners <i>might</i> be more dashing, we can at least undergo surgery to correct, but you Butternut boys face a real dilema - in the eternal words of Ron "Tater Salad" White

<font size="6">You can't fix stupid</font id="size6">

[;)]

General Jeff Laub
Eastern Theater, Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm 

"The general concensus of the situation was and is that the Southern male has to be these things in order to procreate, as the "Southern Belles" are used to a highly polished courtship, whereas, in general, a six pack and a pizza could easily land a wife up North...."

Now I remember why I changed sides!

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 am 

Hm...I guess Roger and I will be trading sides then? =D

If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.
- General Phil Sheridan

Lt. General Rusty Hodgkiss
VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:51 am 
That was of a study of Army personel, a study of the navies showed just the opposite results. As a Seabee I am a prime example of a fine looking naval officer. As for the 6 pack and a pizza to land a northern wife, all I needed was a cafe latte and Snickers bar.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"beyond our ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Suh,
The study you referred to was simply a replication of an earlier study which had shown the inescapable fact that Southern men are absolutely better looking, more dashing, and more intelligent than their Northern counterparts. The study has been since confirmed over and over by study after study to the point where it is just accepted as inescapable fact.
The general concensus of the situation was and is that the Southern male has to be these things in order to procreate, as the "Southern Belles" are used to a highly polished courtship, whereas, in general, a six pack and a pizza could easily land a wife up North....Survival of the fittest you know......

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My recollection is it was a dollar back then. Inflation has made it go up to a six pack and pizza.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:21 am 
Lt General Hodgkiss,
Rusty,

Sir... you must have forgotten that I have already switched from the Union Camp to the good looking, dashing and extremely handsome Confederate Camp!

And I have it on good authority that even a very handsome Les Paul guitar could not gain you admitance into the Confederate Army. Don't make me post your picture to the Mason-Dixon... it would hurt all our eyes! [;)]

I recommend that you and General Walter just find yourself a quiet corner... preferably a dark one... and make the best of what the good Lord has given you! [:D]

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 pm 

General Groce Suh, got you beat. I got my Rhode Island wife with just a medium Dunkin Donut coffee but that was 22 yrs ago [:D]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3/3/III AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:00 pm 
Sir, I only got mine(a New Yorker)5 years ago, inflation I guess.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"beyond our ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there"