American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:56 pm 

To all who had relatives who served in the Civil War:
I just came across a website run by the National Parks Service that lists individual soldiers/sailors by name, side, function (inf, cav etc) and regiment:
"There were individuals during the Civil War who played a leadership role and are well known. There are millions of others who remain nearly anonymous, but whose contributions were beyond measure. Prominent among them are the soldiers and sailors on both sides who were willing to give their lives. They are the ancestors of countless Americans. The Civil War Soldiers & Sailors System is a searchable index of their names."
I typed in my great to the second power grandfathers name and state and there he was. Cool. CHeck it out.
http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/

Lt. Col. Neal Carney
AoT/XVI/2/1

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:22 pm 

Lt Col Carney <salute>

One of my other hobbies is genealogy, and the site mentioned is great! It doesn't have everything, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye [:D]

For those members who have ancestors who were veterans of the Civil War, you can also check the Civil Pension applications. I know that the southern states offered these pensions, as did the Yankee states I believe. These were granted by the state of residence at the application and generally included a statement by the veteran, or his widow, stating the dates of service, unit(s) served in, etc. Not all were accepted, however they make for interesting reading in any case.

I can provide research advice and even some technical support (I subscribe to a genealogy service) if anyone is interested in their family trees or locating records of their ancestor's service. I might caution, however, that my plate is kind of full, so I can't research everyone's ancestry [:I]

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:00 am 

I also beleive you can find individual soldiers in the OR. My great-great(?)grandfather, Edmund Dayton, is listed as a private in the 36th Wisconsin. He fought in the battle of Hatcher's run.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
Commanding 2nd Div, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah