American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:55 pm 
Gentlemen,

I have noticed for a couple of weeks that MS Word functions such as highlighting, copying and pasteing text, would not work for several clicks, or just sometimes that a single click functioned like a double click.

In my games, sometimes every unit in a hex would be automatically selected and lighted, or a unit might change formation from "in column" to line, and then immediately back to "in column" again with a single click.

I have also seen a "blue box with an arrow pointing upper right" icon show up just beside some text, when trying to highlight the text, and it might or might not let me highlight it, that instead it might suddenly unhighlight, or cut the text out and drop it in a new location on the page, completely messing up the text. When the blue box appears, normal writing functions seem to be interrupted.
I have been known to shout and curse with the latter occurence. [:(!]

Tonight I right clicked on the blue icon and a drop down menu appeared.
The menu is:
Blogg
Define with Google dictionary
Gmail
Google Finance
Google Maps
Search with Google
Translate with live search
All Accelerators -> (Which clicking on creates an edit function for accelerators.)

Somehow, this "Accelerators" function seems to have been programmed in without my participation and taken over MS Word operation and mouse clicks while interfering with our game functions.
It also seems to seize up periodically, slow, and delay the writing of text in e-mails and such.

The culprit, looking at the menu, seems to be "Google".
Right now, I see the best course of action is first to remove this program.

Going through my add/remove programs, I find a Google toolbar but nothing else suspicious.

Do you have advice or suggestions other than removing Google toolbar? I have had it a long time with no problems and am not convinced that this is what has gone wrong.
Does anyone recognize and understand the blue boxed arrow icon that I described?

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:08 pm 
Searching through the internet, it seems that it is the "accelerators" that are causing the problem. Here is a proferred solution:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The icon you are describing sounds like the "Accelerators button", ...

"To disable the Accelerators button select Tools. Then click Internet Options at the bottom of the menu. Choose the Advanced tab. Under Browsing uncheck the box "Display Accelerator button on selection." Click Apply, then OK. Close Internet Explorer 8. When you restart IE8 the Accelerator feature will not pop up when you highlight text. You will still be able to access your accelerators by right clicking on highlighted text".

How to use Internet Explorer 8 Accelerators

http://ie8-internet-explorer-8.blogspot ... ators.html

Have you tried running your browser, if that is what you having a problem in, with No Add-ons, or resetting it to Defaults.

Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just in case someone comes up with a better answer, I went through the procedure for "no add ons" and disable accelerators, and it is not much better.

BG Ross McDaniel