American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Direct Play
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:14 pm 

I saw direct play mentioned as a method of playing the games. I know nothing about it, what is it and how does it differ from normal playing and sending files.

Brigadier General Al Baker
3rd Division II Corp AoG
csaokie@windstream.net

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm 

Al,

Direct play is where two, or more, players are online at the same time playing against each other. One player is the host, he starts the game, and sends in an email the IP info to his opponent. The other player than starts the game, finds the host (it all very magical really), and then you watch him move his troops and he watches you. Time limits can be set in the game to help things move along. Its fun.

(disclaimer: someone with more know how will come along and explain it more properly.)

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
1st Div, I Corps, AoP, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm 

I can't explain it better than Al but I have played that way before. for a short time I was a member of a group that played CivilWar2. This is an older game that only can be played head-to-head, there is no pbem. It was gut-wrenching fun but you couldn't leave the game for any length of time and you need to be close in time zones for obvious reasons. I couldn't stay in the group because at that time I just couldn't spend hours in front of the computer.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Al,

Al (Amos) explained it about as well as I could, it has been several years since I played...would have to look up the directions in the game.
Which I just did[;)]; Users Manual under Network Play;</b></font id="beige">

<font color="orange">"Network Play

This section describes the details associated with multi-player Network Play. Microsoft’s Direct Play is used for this purpose. The TCP/IP protocol is used to connect the computers being used. If you are using a firewall to connect to the Internet, you must configure it before you can connect using Direct Play. Information on how to do this can be found in this Microsoft technical article: DirectX: Ports Required to Play on a Network.

The Player Dialog is displayed so that each player can specify their name and to specify if they want to be on the same side as the Host player or the opposing side.

The Caller will be prompted to enter the IP Address of the Host computer. The Host player must determine their IP Address and communicate this to the other players.

One way for the Host player to determine their IP Address is to perform the following steps:

· Click on Start, then Run, and enter cmd.

· In the window that opens, enter ipconfig.

Once a connection has been established, the Comm Dialog will appear and allow both players to communicate with each other. You can type messages in the area at the bottom of the Comm Dialog and press Return to send them. All messages are displayed in the top area of the Comm Dialog prefaced by the name of the player sending the message. In Multi-Player Network Play games, you can limit the sending of the message to players of your side, by selecting the option at the bottom of the Comm Dialog.

If you are the first Caller of the opposing side, you will be prompted to specify an Encryption Key to be used to encrypt the battle file on the Host computer. This encryption will prevent your opponent from trying to access the battle file in your absence. Be sure to remember your Encryption Key and specify it exactly the next time you open an existing battle or else a read error will occur. If you trust your opponent, it is OK to leave the Encryption Key blank.

Multi-Player

In general, both sides of a Network game can have more than one person assigned to them. The Host player and the first player to connect playing the opposing side, will be the Commander for their respective sides. By default, the Commanders control all units for their side. Additional players on each side can be assigned commands by the Commander. Each player can only move and fire units under their command. The Multi-Player Dialog described in the Main Program Help File describes the actions used to assign commands to players and to manage Multi-Player features."</font id="orange">

<font color="beige"><b>I would add that while direct play has a instant message utility (Comm Dialog) built in, it a good idea to connect with your opponent via one of the instant message services so you can communicate during the initial setup. The command feature is slick too, it's a shame the pbm version doesn't have this.
If you and a friend have a few hours to play then direct play is about as close as playing a good old fashion board game as it gets..well even better cause you get fog of war and the PC to figure all the odds. </b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">

Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robert</i>
The command feature is slick too, it's a shame the pbm version doesn't have this.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We talked about this feature at the last TILLERCON. I think it is VERY worthwhile to bring it up to John Tiller, again. It would make MP games much, much better.

Do you plan on going to Nashville, Bob???

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands, General
4th Brigade, Cavalry Division, XIV Corps,
Army of Cumberland, USA
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:52 am 

For those who can't get to Nashville, this may be a good way to participate, if y'all can hook into a multiplayer online game with some of the guys there.

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
1st Div, I Corps, AoP, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:41 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Ernie,

<font color="orange">"Do you plan on going to Nashville, Bob???"</font id="orange">

With bells on[;)]</b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>General R.A.'Bob'Weir
</b></font id="beige"><font color="green"><b><font size="4">CSA Eastern Theater Commander</b></font id="size4"></font id="green">

Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:46 pm 

[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands, General
4th Brigade, Cavalry Division, XIV Corps,
Army of Cumberland, USA
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:42 pm 
Drex,

You were part of the CWG2 group???? I was too.....Good old days there....What was your SN there?

Regards,
Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Drex,

You were part of the CWG2 group???? I was too.....Good old days there....What was your SN there?

Regards,
Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I was a part only briefly. I used "Drex" as I always do in any club I join. I just couldn't maintain the lateness of the hour being on the West Coast. I still have the game but it pales in comparison to the Tiller Games.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah