American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:55 am 

Southern artillery ( in the 3 day battles scenario) , is inherently limited by its ammo supply. The Union advantage in ammo is significant to the point where if you play the Union, you can fire at will. I'd played the 3 day scenario once with each side.

I disagree that as the South you have to push as hard as possible on day one; but it depends upon the situation. You start with an infantry vs cavalry situation and if the Union player is careless enough to defend with these cavalry men, then you should be cleaning up on as many of them as you can. You do get a lot of artillery early that you can apply to Union units along the Chambersburg Pike - but there really isn't anything forcing the Union player not to adopt a reverse slope strategy; and there are a lot of rolling gullies along the NW approaches to Gettysburg.

I found Mr Whitehead's comparison very interesting, and wonder if maybe he could also apply it to some of the other series titles? As from what I understand, that it seems like different scenario designers have different ideas about using a morale differential to compensate for play balance. In my opinion that only goes so far; in fact it really is only one piece of the puzzle - but that is more along the lines of the series, so is larger in scope than only Campaign Gettysburg.

Mr Wilkes makes some interesting observations, and I wonder what effect on combat a uniform application of 350 fatigue points would have. In theory it should dilute the fire effects, and lead to more disruptions/routs.

As a Confederate what I would go for is to get the point differential to a minor victory and force the Union side to attack upon terrain of your choosing. A lot of that, though depends upon giving up the initiative and watching what you are going to be given; it is going to vary by opponent.

I tend to agree with Mr Whitehead, in that it seems pretty difficult to lost this battle as the Union player; but you do have to get your cavalry out of the way; plus you also have to understand your role in the big picture of the battle. You are not there to attack, but to absorb attacks and set up the best possible lines (of which you are going to have some interesting choices -plus some artillery in depth as well). The Cemetery Hill position can become virtually impregnable because of the nature of the terrain and the arriving Union artillery that can be screened off by infantry.

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT
XV Corps/3rd Division [1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:09 am 

<b>First Day Force Comparisons</b>

Throughout the first day of the battle the relative strengths of the two armies vary tremendously. This is due to Gettysburg being essentially a meeting engagement. As various divisions arrive in the vicinity of Gettysburg the situation changes dramatically. Keep in mind that the forces indicated as available below depend on where the battle is taking place. I am assuming here that it is around Gettysburg and this is for scenario 007. If the Rebel has retreated to Cashtown then expect a delay of a few hours for the Union and a gain of a few hours for the Rebel. If the Union has retreated South during the day they will likewise benefit from earlier arrivals of the same forces.

<b>The Morning Contest</b>

This is a rather long period from daybreak to almost 11 AM when the Union I/1 division arrives near Cemetery Hill area. Buford's cavalry must slow down Hill's two divisions and Ewell's as well. He must accomplish this without getting his own cavalry drawn into an infantry fight he can't win.

CSA Forces
7,750 4.0 Heth
6,825 4.0 Pender
14,575 4.0 Total

USA Forces
1,750 4.6 Davis's Cavalry Brigade
1,125 4.1 Devin's Cavalry Brigade
2,875 4.4 Total

<b>Mid-Day Fight</b>

This is a short period extending from around 11 AM when the I Corps starts getting into position followed by the XI Corps to 1 PM when Rodes makes his presence felt. Here the balance of power shifts to the Union. Even though a significant number of their forces are poor quality they still can be traded for good Rebel troops. Also, only infantry is now shown but Buford is still a significant forces that the Rebel must watch and allocate badly needed troops for. XII Corps release at noon but is much too far to affect things until late afternoon.

CSA Forces
7,750 4.0 Heth
6,825 4.0 Pender
14,575 4.0 Total

USA Forces
9,850 4.4 I Corps (less I/3/3)
8,875 3.0 XI Corps(less 41st NY)
18,725 3.7 Total

<b>Afternoon Fighting</b>

This last from about 1 PM to about 4 PM. Here the Rebel has the upper hand both in numbers and quality. With Rodes arrival the balance of power shifts heavily in their favor. If he can manage to also get Early in support range he has more than enough to drive the Union but this analysis I assume the Union position is too far away and Early delayed enough to not affect the fighting. The Union is still fighting with just the I and XI Corps. They probably have the high ground but no fresh troops will arrive until XII Corps and some early brigades from III Corps get into the area.

CSA Forces
7,750 4.0 Heth
6,825 4.0 Pender
8,225 4.2 Rodes
22,800 4.1 Total

Evening Fighting
The next shift in the balance of power occurs somewhere around 4-5 PM as first XII Corps reinforces the Union troops on Cemetery Hill along with some late arriving I Corps troops. For the Rebel Early has by now joined in the attack but the sun is setting.

CSA Forces
7,750 4.0 Heth
6,825 4.0 Pender
8,225 4.2 Rodes
6,550 4.6 Early
29,350 4.2 Total

USA Forces
9,850 4.4 I Corps(less I/3/3)
8,875 3.0 XI Corps(less 41st NY)
5,900 4.1 XII Corps(less 1/2)
18,725 3.7 Total

<b>Late Afternoon</b>

The last shifts in odds occur almost at dusk. For the Rebel Anderson reaches the Gettysburg area and for the Union the two brigades of the III/1 division plus the missing I/3/3 are near enough to affect the situation. However, night usually ends any offensive by Anderson so it isn't significant.

General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:32 am 

It really changes if you play the meeting engagement starting it on June 30 versus July 1. Much different on how you set up Union armies when the Rebs already have Gettysburg before you get there.

Col Elkin
Chief Engineer AotT

“I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies. . . . Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behindâ€