American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 am 

Is it possible for the Confederates in HPS Shiloh to capture the Pittsburgh Landing hex space with no negative repercussions? Does the 5 hex "magic envelope of automatic rout" count for this game?

I seem to remember that one of the versions (perhaps it was the Talonsoft title) that the real objective of the battle was the capture of that hex and the subsequent prevention of the arrival of Buell's army.

If not, that is one of the problems I have with the game. Can't the confederates just get a point lead and then retreat and still win the game? It seems completely contrary to history if they can, and rather 'gamey'.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 am 

the magic envelope only exists if the designer put one in. If he/she set it at zero there is no magic envelope. Open the scenario in the editor to see what range the designer set. They may have left it at the default five hex range.

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
1st Div, I Corps, AoP, USA

http://albert-amos.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 am 

The Pittsburg Landing hex is not protected in the historical scenario although the road where Wallace comes in is, but that may not be true in some of the other scenarios as this can be set in the editor for each reinforcement. Theoretically I believe you could have protection on for one reinforcement but not for another.

Gen. Ken Miller
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:33 am 
If it is a stand alone battle the Confederates can't retreat of fof the board. But if it is part of a campaign the Club Rules allow for the removal of units. Although the game has the Pittsburg Landing hex on the map at coordinates (56, 31) the ACTUAL coordinates of it are at (56, 33)! If you take the hex correctly labeled on the board you will find Union transports still unloading men just south of your position. If you make it to Pittsburg Landing be sure to capture the correct hex at (56, 33). There is no protective distance for the Landing either. Your men will not rout automatically if Union reinforcements appear at the Landing if you are nearby.

Lt. Col. Blake L. Strickler
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps
AotM
stricklerblake@yahoo.com