American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 am 

I'm playing the 3 day battle as the Reb side. It's got to night of day one and John Bell Hood and his Texans have just arrived.
Great! I thought ...but then just as I was moving the Divisional Artillery along I thought to myself: "where the hell is the supply wagon?".
Well, it's not here. It's not on the map, it's not been grabbed by my opponent and it isn't listed as a reinforcement. I have accidentally removed it from the map either.
I'm running the version 1.04 with the latest patch from the HPS site ...and I checked that the scenario file in the patch matches the one that I'm using in my game folder.
I'm stumped ...anyone else seen this? [xx(]

Brigadier-General Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am 

Welcome to the world of out of ammo Rebel armies.

I don't however know the justification for it not showing up but it never does. Have to do some searching.

General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 am 

No supply for Mr. Hood.

I'm guessing his Texans just put rocks down the barrels of thier muskets. That's why he talks about the Yanks only need to throw rocks at his boys on day 2. I think he's under the impression that's standard issue for infantry. :-)

I'd like to see that 20 mile wagon train myself.

MG Al "Ambushed" Amos, Commanding Officer
1st Div, I Corps, AoP, USA

http://albert-amos.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:46 pm 

One thing though, is that any supply wagon can supply any unit of the same side (which is something that I didn't realize when in the prior patched version Heth's supply wagon didn't arrive until sometime during day 2).

So Hood's may be in there; if it were me, I'd probably just have it arrive at the same time as the division (if I were doing a scenario edit), if only for simplicity's sake, unless there is some compelling reason for it not to be there.

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT
XV Corps/3rd Division [1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 pm 

Did it have anything to do with Starr's cavalry attack on a rebel supply train at Fairfield defended by Grumble Jones 7th Virginia Cav on July 3?

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:35 pm 
Too few wagons to be Hood' divisional trains, but a worthwhile read below:

http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-fai ... ictory.htm
Battle of Fairfield: Grumble Jones' Gettysburg Campaign Victory

Excellent account of BG Wm. E Jones's cav brigade of 1000 troopers versus Major Starr's rgt of 400 troopers near Fairfield.

Starr had been sent by Merritt to capture a lightly guarded rebel supply train, according to reports, and then to hold the Fairfield town to cut a possible line of retreat by the ANV.
However there were only about 8 wagons and the cavalry encounter led to a Union disaster with about 100 escaping after a generally good performance by Starr's command. Only 2 junior officers escaped death, capture, or wounding.

A short excerpt from the rather lengthy account:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The Confederates pursued the routed Yankees for about three miles, through the streets of the town to the entrance to Fairfield Gap, where they gave up the chase. The remnants of the 6th U.S. fled to Emmittsburg, Md., where its exhausted survivors found the rest of the reserve brigade. The fight had been severe. The 6th U.S., numbering about 400 men and officers at the beginning of the battle, suffered more than 50 percent casualties, including six killed, 28 wounded, and 208 captured. Only two officers, Nolan and Lieutenant Henry Carpenter, escaped. Severely wounded, Starr lost his arm, and Balder died of his wounds a few days later. Despite the debacle at Fairfield, Starr was brevetted to colonel for his performance during the Gettysburg campaign. He did not return to duty until November 1863, when he was exchanged by the Confederates. One member of the 1st U.S. Cavalry wrote in his diary on July 3: The 6th U.S. is cut to pieces; there are less than a hundred of them left<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 pm 

Jim just checked the scenario, Hood's corps is expected at 8am July 2 and the supply is supposed to come in with it. Has Hood's corps come in early then maybe the supply will come in at 8am. There is a 100% chance of the supply coming in according to the reinforcement schedule.
So maybe the hps techs could make you the wiser.

General
Frank (Old Banshee) Mullins,
XVI Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.
Commanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:12 pm 

Get with the script Frank you old banshee... I think you're looking at the "small" map version of the 3 day battle that is designed for the young boys and old ladies to play with!

Us veterans usually refer to the "big" map 007 version of the fight as being the real deal and only one worth considering...

Brigadier-General Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.