American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Web Design Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 pm 

I don't know if this is of any use to any future web designers (and I am not volunteering for it) ...

I came across this in some of my other projects - this site has a lot of archived sites ( including this club's site).

http://web.archive.org/web/

<b>Edit:</b> Apparently this has caused an issue, which was not my intent- and as a community service, I will point out that if ownership of a domain is an issue to its having been archived - <b>then that is something that the domain owner at the time needs to take up with archive.org</b>.

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT
XV Corps/3rd Division [1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 am 
I don't think that what you found is actually a "club" site technically......I believe it is an archive of a site owned by a certain EX member of the club who was executed for his heinous crimes by club managment (Twice I think actually).....He hosts many of the ancilliary sites of club members for free to this day, despite not being allowed in the club.....Some club members have helped him with expenses thru donations, but it has not been a requirement.....I could be wrong about this, but I think this is the case....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 am 

With all due respect, your issues with club management are outside the scope of this thread.

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm 
With all due respect, you are incorrect. The archived material you found is not owned by this club. ACWGC.org (which is the site I saw when I followed your link) is owned by Larry Quick. I was simply telling you the history. So it is absolutely within the scope of this thread.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:21 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by S_Trauth</i>
<br />I don't know if this is of any use to any future web designers (and I am not volunteering for it) ...

I came across this in some of my other projects - this site has a lot of archived sites ( including this club's site).

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://acwgc.org/

Edit -- ok the board parses out the link in to 2 parts --- you either have to copy the entire url into your address bar or enter the url to the site you want to look for once you get there. The '*' is the wildcard in the url. And I tried it - and you get a "site not found error - which is wrong (it needs all of the url added to show it).

Col Stephen Trauth
AOT

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Col. Trauth,

As General Smith has said, these were not official club sites. There are, in fact, very few 'official' club sites. Most officers who maintain sites do so on their own. (One of my favorites is the "Link Express", maintained by General Ned Sims.) Even the 'official' sites are maintained free of charge to members - although donations are often accepted.

One of the things I've noted about this club from the beginning is the decentralized nature of web site maintenance. I won't get into the politics of "States Rights" versus "Federal Control", but it seems to work fine for the club. [8D]

I appreciate you sharing this information. Old sites often stop being maintained, especially when those who maintained them leave the club, and it can be helpful to have access to archived material.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 am 

I don't know why there was a need for anyone to leap on this thread as if it contained anything contentious or controversial, or why it was seen as an opportunity to open up old wounds. Get a grip, this needs to stop, you are spoiling things for the rest of us (the contented majority)!!![V]

The web archive that Col. Trauth mentioned contains a valuable store of our club's history. It DOES contain the official club webpages as well as official/unofficial pages created by various members. It's a neutral archive, collected by total strangers with no stake in our club, that's all.

For years I've linked the AotC website to archived pages on there showing the AotC OOB in years gone by, including my own early crude efforts in web design. Brings back memories of the old days and old friends, many of whom are still here. When I was in a senior command position I also used it to research who was in command positions over the years, how the club rules and structures have evolved over the years, etc. A very useful tool indeed.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/aoc.htm"]4/1/XX, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Admin

I think it is pretty cool. Since I stated the ACWGC on the web and do not have a copy of all the past history it brought back a lot of memories.

I don't know what the fuss is about.

As far as decentralization it was one of my major ideas when forming the club. Let members contribute and create their web ideas. Get away from one person running the show and when he leaves there is no more show.

It was also self serving since I did not want to do all the work. :-)

There is some confusion with ACWGC.org and ACWGC.ch, the later being the official club site, but what the heck as long is everyone is helping to move the club forward.

Also as far as I know no one was kicked off the club that was not allowed back in. If they did not come back in after an invite it was their choice.

The Cabinet always made decisions in the best interest of the club. As it does now.

It is easy to criticize decisions being made. If you had to make them you would understand how it is often a no win solution. Someone will always hate you for it.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:18 pm 
First of all, I was through with this topic, BUT given some of the responses I feel I must reply.

1: I never said the discovery of the archiving site wasn't cool....I was just pointing out that it was not a club site but was owned by someone I feel strongly has been done an injustice. He supports this club as much or more than any of the members of the club government, and he spends his own time and money to do it. Whether you are aware of it or not, virtually all of you owe him your thanks. Many of the "Club sites" you use are on his servers, and you use them for free, simply because he cares enough to do it for you. Did he make mistakes, you bet he did. Was he completely innocent, nope. Has he been absolutely fanatical in both his love for this club and his support for it? Absolutely. Yet he cannot post, or even find opponents at the opponent finder. If I am viewed as a bad guy for pointing this out, then so be it, and what a shame that is on those who think I am the bad guy.

2: "Also as far as I know no one was kicked off the club that was not allowed back in."

As of right now, this statement is absolutely incorrect. I do not wish to drag this through the mud any further, by posting proof. I would like this topic to go away also. I have voiced my concerns and I am ready to let things drop as long as I am allowed to do so. I will, of course, defend myself from attacks, but since I do not believe an equitable solution will be coming, I see no reason to continue to try to change the apparently unchangeable, no matter how wrong I think it is. It saddens me because I do have many persons I view as friends here, and if it happened to someone else, well then it could happen to me. I truly wonder if it will? Time will tell.

My apologies for partially hijacking your thread S_Trauth It was actually not my intention, but it kind of hit a nerve. I do know that was not your intention, and I don't think you knew the situation with the ownership of ACWGC.org....Overall, I think it was a good post on your part. Good luck to you, and for that matter, the rest of you also.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />First of all, I was through with this topic, BUT given some of the responses I feel I must reply.

2: "Also as far as I know no one was kicked off the club that was not allowed back in."

As of right now, this statement is absolutely incorrect. I do not wish to drag this through the mud any further, by posting proof. I would like this topic to go away also. I have voiced my concerns and I am ready to let things drop as long as I am allowed to do so. I will, of course, defend myself from attacks, but since I do not believe an equitable solution will be coming, I see no reason to continue to try to change the apparently unchangeable, no matter how wrong I think it is. It saddens me because I do have many persons I view as friends here, and if it happened to someone else, well then it could happen to me. I truly wonder if it will? Time will tell.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I did say as far as I know. I followed this club quite a bit so I can't recall everything. [:)]

There were 3 people that I know of that were at one time banished. All three were asked back in,2 came back, one is currently active, and a friend, and the other actually became a Cabinet member then dropped out for reasons I do not know about. My point is that the Club/Cabinet has bent over backwards to be as fair as possible. It may not always please everyone's agenda but it has been quite good. New members should not get a bad taste of the club. It is a great place, great people, even if we don't always agree, and tries to work things out after the heat of battle. Not perfect but reasonable.

There are probably a lot of things that I do not know about but this is my impression of the club as it stands.

During my tenure in the Cabinet, it voted on all issues with various opinions. I did not always win my ideas by a vote. The majority ruled. I think this is quite fantastic for a club that has lasted over 10 years.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm 

Er... well I did not mean to bump this one up --- I figured to use an innocuous post to test out a signature .... and ... well it bumped it.

I won't be doing that one again... I feel like such a noob [xx(]

Apologies <b>-definitely not my intent.</b>

Col Stephen Trauth
AotT
XV Corps/3rd Division
[1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:17 pm 

Ok -well I guess I can use the topic -and just change the title.
____

In reference to this old post - I had a thought about this in my own limited little web designer world (the topic is basically looking for good fonts and graphics if you don't want to call up the archived post.).

http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.a ... IC_ID=8647

I use this site here - lots of free ones, particularly for private use - and you can generally type in a test word or phrase to see what it looks like.

http://www.dafont.com/

One word ofcaution though - these will generally only work when you use them on a graphic design and then save as an image -- while you can use them in coding a page -and see them on your page -only guys with that particular font installed on their system will ever see any test that you assign the font tag to - as you are. (And yes, I er ... reminded myself of that when I created a recent page for Greek Wars .. look really good -- until I switched machine - then back to good old Times Roman :D ).

Period images- I grabbed a lot of photos off of the Library of Congress' digital collections, wikimedia commons can be good (but pay attention to the copyright statements), and sometimes you can get screenshots off of downloadable books (in my case I found some nice images in some pdf scans of Battles and Leaders that I plan to use in some future CWB page work).

Col Stephen Trauth
AotT
XV Corps/3rd Division
[1st Cavalry] 2nd Cavalry Brigade