American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clarification of Rule
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:53 am 
5.1.4 Withdrawal of all (or a substantial portion of) forces from the battlefield, unless specified in the scenario as a victory condition, will cost the withdrawing player a 2-step reduction in the level of victory. Removal from the map of individual units, routed behind enemy lines by the game engine, is allowed. (This rule is waived in the case of campaign scenarios.)

In the thread "1 to 10" the topic of removing units from the map was brought up. I was always under the impression that the removal of units, except in Campaigns, was not allowed at all. I believe others were also under this impression by postings there. I went to check the Rule once again and now find myself confused.

The Rule states "Withdrawal of all (or a substantial portion of) forces" is not allowed. This, in my opinion, is really open for debate. Each players "substantial portion" will never be the same as any other members idea of "substantial portion."

So what is the best way to interpret this rule? I was always under the impression that it was not appropriate to EVER remove units from a board (again, unless in a Campaign). Is it correct that a non-substantial portion of your army may be removed from board without penalty?

(I also "Bumped" up a former discussion on this topic from a few months back)

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:42 am 

I agree that "substantial" is vague and would substitute "any" unless exit hexes are specifically provided for that side.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:34 am 
You folks should go read the Club rules more thouroughly.....

Rule 546,234,704.004 Section 3.4912B says very clearly,

"Substantial" shall be defined as greater than 9 regiments of infantry, 3 regiments of cavalry, and 2.76 batteries of field artillery, along with all leaders below the rank of Major General, but not to include Army leaders with ratings aboe 4 4. The combined total withdrawn may not exceed 6,427 men with an average quality rating above C or 8912 men C quality or below, unless of course the withdrawal is attempted upon a Sunday (in which case you may withdraw another 5,369 total) or upon a Wednesday where you may withdraw only 10 percent less than the original figures. This of course only applies to withdrawals from the Northern edge of ny tactical map, as we all know there is never a need for good Southern men to withdraw at all!

SO WHAT, I ASK YOU, IS NOT CLEAR ABOUT THAT!

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:34 pm 

General Smith: As usual, your ability to cut through the lawyerese and BS and define the problem in an unassailable light is unquestionable.

Maj.Gen. Drex Ringbloom,
AotS Chief-of -Staff,
2nd Division Cmdr, "Corcoran's Legion", VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:39 pm 

I always disagreed with the part of the rule regarding Wednesdays. Totally unfair to the Union player.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
3/4/VIII Corps, AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
General Last,

Te Wednesday rule is to offset the inherent unfairness of the infamous "Blue Beef" rules on the Confederates! When you see masses on Confederate Soldiers running on the field of battle, well its NOT because the Yankees routed them.....It's something far worse!

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:06 pm 
Uh, you Yankees didn't think that foul smelling brownish green cloud rising from Confederate lines was gunpowder smoke did you?

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:09 pm 
It is wonderful to have all you Veterans here to teach me! Let me get my notepad out!

Okay.... Wednesday Rule... Blue Beef...[:p]

Col. Blake L. Strickler
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff
6th Bd/4th Div/IV Corps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:17 pm 
You are most welcome! Of course there are only a limited number of us that are so completely knowledgeable as to know these things! Just remember though, if you need an answer I'll be here with one!

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding