American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WTF! ?????
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:21 am 

Ok, so what has happened to the sites?

CSA CoA
CSA Sharpshooters
CSA War College
VMI
VMI LT Cup
VMI Graduates
CSA Western Theater
Army of Alabama
Army of Alabama - I Corps
Army of Alabama - II Corps
Army of Alabama - III Corps
Army of the Mississippi
Army of the Mississippi - IV Corps
Army of the Mississippi - Muster
CSA Eastern Theater
Army of Georgia
Army of Georgia - I Corps
Army of Georgia - II Corps
Army of Georgia - III Corps
Army of Georgia - Muster
Army of Northern Virginia
Army of Northern Virginia - Muster
El Deguello
AoS vs AoA
CSA Reference Library
Army of Tennessee
Army of Tennessee - XV Corps
Army of Tennessee - XVI Corps
Army of the Potomac
Army of the Potomac - I Corps
Army of the Potomac - II Corps
Army of the Potomac - V Corps
Army of the Shenandoah
Army of the Shenandoah - VI Corps
Army of the Shenandoah - VII Corps
Union Army Awards
ACWGC Cartography Office
ACWGC.ORG Forums
ACWGC Ribbons and Flags
ANV vs. AoP
ACWGC Games List
Union Military Academy

Is it true that Notso was not told he was "kicked out" of the club and yet the club let him host all these sites for the last 19 months without compensation and without being a member?

The club members have right to know what happened. We have one side of the story, now we need the other side.[:(!]

BG E.L.Bird
3rd Div,II Corps,A.o.G.,C.S.A.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:59 am 

Yes all these sites are no more. They were hosted on acwgc.org which Larry provided for use to members of the club for free. However, these sites are not ACWGC scanctioned sites. The only site run by the ACWGC is this one that the forum are on; however, I might be wrong on this so someone correct me if their are others. All others are provided by club members to support whatever they are in charge of at their expense and time.

I, being the Commandant of the CSA War College, maintain the CSA War College site. Since Larry has disabled it I will have to find a new hosting location. It will be up and running has soon as I determine a suitable hosting location.

General Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
2/3/IV AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:14 am 

I'm going to ask here for calm on all sides. It goes without saying that Notso has been a "lightning rod" in the history of the club, with a great deal of controversy swirling around him, with some liking him, others not. As such, this situation has the potential of blowing up in our faces in no time flat.

This has the potential of getting ugly, and I plead with everyone to be calm and not start rioting or the like.

Major General Gary McClellan
Reserve Artillery
2/XV AoT USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 am 

Whilst I agree with the need for calm, I also agree with Emmette that the club members deserve some answers from those in the "know" concerning Notso.

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
III Corps
AoG
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 am 

I would like to echo Gary's sentiments. Let us concentrate on where we go from here and not let it turn into a rehash of past events.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
3/4/VIII Corps, AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:00 am 

Why don't we offer to pay NOTSO for the use of the sites until we reach a viable alternative?

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 am 

Yes, let's please all try to work through and resolve this in a calm and civilized manner for the benefit of all.[:)]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acwgc_personal_record.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/aoc.htm"]4/1/XX, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:04 am 

All I want to know is what happened? I'm obviously not in the "know" but I think a public explanation is in order as to why the club saw fit to let a person host sites that benefitted this club and then told that person they could not rejoin the club. If it were the cabinets’ decision not to let him rejoin then he should have been informed months ago - that's just common courtesy.

There will be differences of opinion from time to time but on the surface this situation has a foul odor. I believe the club needs an explanation so there won’t be that potential to get ugly.

BG E.L.Bird
3rd Div,II Corps,A.o.G.,C.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:31 am 
I don't know what's true and what isn't to be honest. I think everyone will have a different version of "what happened" so it will end up being who you want to believe the most. The historian in me says that when multiple versions of the same story contradict then the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all the crap. We could all argue about what happened with Notso until we are red in the face and everyone calls everyone else a liar. Or, we can simply declare that crap happened and its time to move on and look ahead. I choose to move on. Notso shut down my Army site but I have no ill feelings about it. Thats his site - fact. So now we find a new host and rebuild.

As Mr. Sinatra always said, "that's life!"

Also, remember, whatever gets torn down always seems to be rebuilt 10x better. Chicago, Tokyo, San Francisco, Berlin, etc. were all destroyed in the 20th Century by different events. But they are all bustling cities once again and better than ever. Be optimistic, look ahead, and lets get past the drama.

Now, lets all take a drink and throw the glasses into the fireplace and be done with it! Huzzah!

(the Colonel turns and exits the forum having spoken his piece)

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:38 am 
I agree with Gen. McClellan about not playing "Uproar" or "NIGYYSOB." (Games People Play)

But how about "transparency and openness?" The club management conflicts are usually played "behind a veil."
Who are the players and what are the issues?

There is no good reason that the antagonists cannot temperately define their disputes and desired resolutions on this forum.
Knowing the issues, the players and their positions might make a great deal of difference on who runs for office and members' voting for club officers.

The Roman Catholic Church protected molesting, pederast priests and the "Holy Mother Church" by keeping the transgressions quiet and transferring the priests to distant dioceses.
That strategy has turned around to bite the church in its butt... I mean, bank accounts.

Club bank accounts are not a factor here, other than Notso Quick's years of unreimbursed support of club sites.
I have no idea about why he was barred from club membership, but I am impressed by his continued support of ACW websites at his expense and the records work that he has provided.
The controversy was seldom discussed on the M/D forum. A quick search in the club archives reveals nothing of note except that he had bouts of back surgery to relieve pain and left the club temporarily.
And then he was not allowed back in!? [B)][:0]
There must be a lot more to it.

Some of you may remember the Belgian member who was expelled for several reasons followed by his disruptive attacks on our club site. For that, I was glad to see him gone.

I don't take sides until I understand the issues. I am a long time member because I love to play the scenarios and I have been content with having other computer literate members managing the club.
My dissatisfactions have been minor and tolerable. I know that life and other peoples' performances are never perfect for everyone.

I don't play UPROAR unless it is unavoidable. It is usually more appropriate to walk away.

This is an opportunity to air out the club members' disputes.
The club sites' disruption of access affects us all.
What is the genesis of this problem?
Inquiring minds want to know.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

"No matter who you are or what you believe, you have to understand that some day the worst control-freaks among your bitterest enemies will control the federal government, and you better have restored effective, working constitutional limitations on that government before that time arrives."-Rick Gaber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 pm 

Ross,

Larry Quick aka NOTSO always had some difficulty with some of the members of the club. He had numerous conflicts which caused him to change armies, quit, rejoin get kicked out and invited back many times over the years. I knew Larry from the time he joined the AoS and never had any problems getting along with him. I know that was not the case for others. Although he could be difficult to get along with he certainly contributed a lot of time, energy and his own money over the years to help the club. He is probably over sensitive and tends to speak first and ask questions laters. Since we cannot seem to as a club mange his services effectively I guess we need to move away from him. I know nothing of this decision to kick him out or black ball hime by the club leaders but I trust there is more to it than that. Since it involves Larry I am not making to much of the cirmumstances as it is just the latest in a sad saga of serial dust-ups. Let's move on and get to the issue of finding alternatives, asking NOTSO to hold off and pay him if needs funds.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 pm 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 pm 

If you are running one of the now defunct websites please contact your CoA or Cabinet representative as we've got an offer or two on places where you might be able to host them.

General Mark Nelms
5/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:20 pm 

Gents, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread before it gets out of hand. Since not all members of the Cabinet aren't available this weekend to fashion any kind of response I'd ask that the posting stop here.

General Mark Nelms
5/2/XIV/AoC "Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor