American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ACW Planning Maps
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:55 am 

Steve over at the SDC has been putting together the planning maps similar to what was done for the PzC series - check them out when you get the chance:

http://hist-sdc.com/

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 am 

Steve is providing a great service and great maps-Thank you

Col. Elkin
3rd Div (2nd Cav) XVI Corps AotT

“I have come to you from the West, where we have always seen the backs of our enemies. . . . Let us study the probable lines of retreat of our opponents, and leave our own to take care of themselves. Let us look before us, and not behindâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 am 
What I would love to see is a version of this that has all of the maps with any given game on the map showing where they are in relation to each other.....It would make these campaigns far clearer......

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 am 

Er @#%! there goes my big planned splash for my next upcoming muster report. [:D]

Hank that sounds like a good idea.
I want to get maps up first (working out what are submaps has been a little bit of work) -and think your idea is a logical extension of the concept. Although I think I would probably scale those down from the level I am currently using.

Some maps are recycled from title to title (some of the Campaign Franklin ones look like they were used in Shiloh -leastwise their file name was).

Col Stephen Trauth
3/XV/AotT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11 pm 
Some maps are definatly reused....I think Franklin came out before Shiloh though....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:39 pm 

Yes, sir- it did come out earlier (I've been doing these in sort of the order the titles were released - for two reasons, 1 I needed somewhere to start, and the other was my guess that the earlier titles would have smaller maps).

I also think too that some maps will actually tie directly in to other maps - in other words, in some titles (I think Vicksburg in particular) the smaller maps may actually join together without there being a larger campaign map included with the title. Of course all I am capable of doing is image editing. I think maybe Corinth might be like that as well (as it seems like when I was playing it recently there was a little more territory on the map than the one I used - so I will maybe try to get the largest possible image at some point -even if it means combining a few maps to create an composite image rather than something that will correspond directly to a map file.

I'm going to do some more work with the files HPS provides on the disks as well (like the historical map files, and will try to upload designer notes as either an html file or a pdf file (depending on how many pages the designer chose to use). But all of that is a little down the track. I'm not solely focusing on the Civil War titles just starting there at this point.

Anyways -what I got so far:

Corinth: http://www.hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/cwb_corinth_maps.html

Franklin: http://www.hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/cwb_f ... _maps.html

Ozark: http://www.hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/cwb_ozark_maps.html

Peninsula: http://hist-sdc.com/bookshelf/cwb_peninsula_maps.html

And am working my way through Shiloh at the moment.

Col Stephen Trauth
3/XV/AotT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:53 pm 
An example is that Chantilly and Mannassas overlp and can be tied together.....I used to have a combined map of the two but lost it in a Puter crash....I'd love to have that map back.....Gettysburg and pipe creek also overlap.....some of the Vicksburg maps....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:19 pm 

If they ever unlock the map files I would be very careful trying to tie one map to another even if they border or even share some of the same hexes. If you look closely you'll see that Pipe Creek has a base elevation of 280 ft while the Gettysburg base elevation is 320 ft, Rappahanock map has a base of 170 ft while falling waters base is 310. This means the levels on the maps don't match so level 0 on Gettysburg is 40 feet higher than level 0 on the Pipe Creek map and an LOS that crossed maps will be screwed up if you attempt to combine them. I tried to tell you this before Hank.

Gen. Ken Miller
AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm 
Ken,

You did not try to tell me that before......You sucessfully told me that before....I do understand, I assure you...Chantilly and Mannasas combined quite nicely....If I remember Rich did it for me....Pipe Creek and gettyburg, though I managed to combine them, did not work correctly .....I do think it may be possible to change the base elevations using the EF editor (If I remember correctly), however, likely NOT enough.....But thats not really what we are talking about in this thread....We are talking about planning maps, and those can be combined all we want....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:49 am 
Bill,

That's exactly why I said I did not think it would likely be enough....

Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 am 

CWB's hex grid is 28 x 6

~To be clear, Hank is correct; this project is just about image editing. And while I hadn't considered the elevation difference (in terms of relative elevation) from one title to the next, doing the images within each given title is probably as far as I was considering going to.

I think, but am not positive, but it seemed like in a recent match I'd played in Corinth (1.09 I think) there was more on the map than what I had in the image I had stitched together - and while the file sizes of about 3 or 4 maps within the title look to be about the same file size- I think that they may cover slightly different territories with a significant amount of overlap. So if this is the case I am talking about taking all of the different potential peripheral areas and putting that on one central map image - as opposed to potentially having like 3 or 4 large image files.

I should be able to get a Campaign Shiloh set up today. (Got all of the images stitched together).
___

I also noticed a couple of things - the PzC maps I mentioned on the SDC blog - were done by Arno Roos -not Atle (who has been prolific in other areas -but not on the planning maps posted on Glenn's site). . . and the PzC files are not done to 2d zoom in mode -so that potentially is some more "stuff" to do at some point.

I have to admit that I am getting a little burned out by this at the moment.
[xx(]

Col Stephen Trauth
3/XV/AotT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
Bill,

Have you made any original maps?

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 am 

Hank, sir- I tried replying to your email through the boards here on my regular email account and it bounced on me. I did try it through the boards- and got no message -although I think it was probably set up to use the same email anyways.

I just wanted to let you know I was not ignoring your message. Although to be completely honest I am going to be pretty busy on this project for awhile.

In other words I have seen some of Bill's games' maps- while they give a lot of value to the scenario designer -- some of them are positively massive :) (I think the Augsburg Campaign one from Austerlitz might take about 150 screen shots if I ignore the impassable terrain - as the dimensions of the map area show about 10.5 screen shots wide by about 18 tall (using a monitor set at about 1920 x 1080 resolution). If it doesn't max out my PC's memory -it will probably kill me :D . . . So I'm guessing I'll have to use 2D zoom out for those -no precise timetable though.

I really appreciate the compliment Bill, it means a lot.

Col Stephen Trauth
3/XV/AotT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 am 
hanksteph at comcast dot net

That won't bounce....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding