American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with hated 7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:28 pm 

Gentlemen

I just got Windows 7 and hate it! The heart is willing but the brain is found wanting. Any help by anybody would be extremely gratefull. Problem number 1 is I'm not that nimble around PC's. Problem number 2 is that I can't figure out how to send moves via PBEM. I feel like a newborn babe on the subject. If anyone out there could contact me and help me find my way I'm sure it would lead to a reduction in sleepless nights. Hoping for help.

BG Paul Brennan
2/2/XV AoT
"The Shamrock Brigade"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:36 am 

I've found that the way I've done it for years still works fine, but you may be doing it in a different way that's giving issues. So...

1) I use WinZip. Yeah, I had to pay, and the recent upgrade is actually a step back in terms of user-friendly, but it's reliable for me.
2) I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my mail program.

So, when I finish a turn, I open WinZip, open the .zip file I want to send, zip the turn file into that, and then use the Attach Function in Thunderbird.

Major General Gary McClellan
Reserve Artillery
2/XV AoT USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 pm 

I use Eudora & WinZip - have for well over a decade now.

What directory do you have the games installed to? I run Win 7 and have no issues what so ever - BUT - I have all my games in:

C:\Games\ACW\...

Then other sub-folders for the other series / time periods.

Give us specifics and I'm confident we can get you running...I wouldn't go back to XP now that I am acclimated to 7 and it is stable.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:52 am 

Try 7 zip, it is a free download and has a zip and mail option.

MG E.L.Bird
2ND, 2nd Div,II Corps,A.o.G.,C.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

With winzip you just need to right click the file you want to send, the drop down menu should show you Winzip (if you have it installed of course), hover you mouse over that and there is an option to choose zip and email. It automatically opens up the email program and you just need to fill the send and subject. Been doing this forever.

Win 7 is great as an operating system. You still need a zip program and an email program. I use outlook.

You can also send it unzipped directly by email seems to work ok for most situations.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 am 

Gentlemen

First off I want to thank everyone for their help in this enigma I'm stuck in. Boy, how many times do you get to use that word. Anyhow I would say the heck with it and stay with XP but I'm trying to get 2 new members to join the club. I got them to each purchase a game but, sadly, they both have the Windows 7. I tried to upgrade their games to the current versions but they would not take. I took Gen. Hamilton's advice and downloaded the games into a differant directory. That worked. So the game files aren't under HPS Simulation. After reading everyone comments it would appear that the issue lies in not having a Zip program. I'll try this 7 zip download Gen Bird suggested and see where that takes me. Well, into the mouth of madness I go again.[V] I'll let everone know how it all ends. Again...Thanks for all your input. Like trying to fix a golf swing though[:D]

BG Paul Brennan
2/2/XV AoT
"The Shamrock Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:01 am 

Well, one thing that didn't get mentioned in full detail (though Rich did hint at it).

Aside from HPS games that have come out in the last year or so (which have a new Vista/7 friendly installer), you -cannot- install to the default directory in Vista or Windows 7. I'm sure Rich or someone could give more details, but an attempt to put the game in the Program Files directory (as the older installers default to) makes a mess of things.

I'm not quite so thorough as Rich :) I simply created a C:\HPS Simulations directory and put all the game there (as opposed to breaking them by ACW, Nap, and so forth)

Major General Gary McClellan
Reserve Artillery
2/XV AoT USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary McClellan</i>
I'm not quite so thorough as Rich :) I simply created a C:\HPS Simulations directory and put all the game there (as opposed to breaking them by ACW, Nap, and so forth)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When you have 80+ games loaded you gotta be organized! [:D]

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 am 
Wouldnt it be wonderful if we lived in a world where all computer programs just magically worked the way we want them to!

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Target1221</i>
<br />Wouldnt it be wonderful if we lived in a world where all computer programs just magically worked the way we want them to!

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI
Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Or even the O.S.s such as Vista and W7.

<font color="yellow"> Colonel John Sheffield,</font id="yellow">
Second Infantry Division
<font color="black">("The Lost Tribe")</font id="black">
XVI Corps
<font color="orange">Army of the Tennessee.</font id="orange">
<font color="red">U.</font id="red"><font color="white">S.</font id="white"><font color="blue">A.</font id="blue">

[img]C:\Users\John\Documents\Wargaming\Army%20of%20the%20Tennessee\INF%20COL%20Set%201.gif[/img]
<font color="gold">War doesn’t determine who’s right. War determines who’s left.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font id="gold">

<font color="black">Last night I lay in my bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought;...... where the hell is my ceiling?!</font id="black">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:59 pm 
Hey Now!!!!!! We can't have this!!!! No personal attacks!!!! Windows 7 DOES work perfectly!!!!! In fact better than perfect!!!!! I know this because I watched their commercial on TV and they siad on there that its better than perfect!!!! If I saw it on TV it must be true!!!! So my brave forum censor, this constitutes a personal attack on Windows 7!!!!! After all, operating systems are people too!!!!???? [:D]

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding