American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Lesson from Lincoln
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:06 am 
I just spent the last 30 minutes writing a nice long venting letter for posting at the MDT. When I finished it I felt damn good. Then I took a moment - exhaled - and deleted it.

I always try to remember that story about Lincoln and his own venting exercises. I believe it was with McClellen that Lincoln probably practiced this with more than anyone else. He would sit at his desk and write a long letter to the General venting all his anger and frustration. Then he would simply tear up the letter or place it in his desk never to be mailed. When asked why he did this he would reply that the mere act of venting would satisfy him enough that he felt no need to send the letter.

Take whatever lesson from this you will. I feel better [:)]

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 am 
Blake,

I would take that advice, BUT since it is from "that person", I find I cannot. if you would kindly repost said advice and attribute it to some good Southern man, than I could perhaps follow it. After all, I can't go and have a Yankee tell me how to live.....lol.

[:D]

For those of you who might not get it, this post was meant basicly in jest as are virtually all of my jabs at you damn Yankees.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 am 
If it makes you feel any better he was married to a Southerner [:D]

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 am 
Nope, she was "the" crazy Southerner.....She married him after all, did she not? So not a chance there.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 am 
Upper High Command Type Folks of the Confederacy,

I move that charges be preffered against one Col. Blake Strickler for the heinous crime of actually suggesting that we should listen to something that "that man" apparently once said. He is obviously a spy, and if convicted should be hung at once. While this might seem a bit extreme, consider the crime.....After all, it's not like he just murdered a few people.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:31 am 
What is this McCarthyism? [:p]

In actuality, sir, I have in this envelope in my hand the confirmed names of over 34 high ranking spies within the Confederate High Command! The names on this list could bring the entire War Effort to a sudden halt! Mine though [pulling out the list and reading it again] is not one of the names on this list.

There is a Smith on the list... I can't make out the first name though...

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 pm 
Dear Blake,

Now now, I know my name couldn't be on the list....I am well known to be a fanatical Southern man. I will allow that perhaps you are NOT a spy.....It was just the fact that you seemed to be insinuating that something said by "that person" could possibly be correct.....It was an emotional jump by myself to accuse you of being a spy. I retract that statement.

However, your own words convict you of the heinous crime I first charged you with. Being a spy would have carried a sentence of hanging....I no longer think that would be appropriate....Listening to "that man" should only carry the penalty of being shot by firing squad. I'm sure you'll agree that is much better......[:D]

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 pm 
Yes, my good friend, but then if we are forbidden to listen is that not censorship? Wasnt it you who complained of just such censorship not too long ago [;)]

I take pearls of wisdom wherever I can find them. Even if they come from a source as lowly as a Black Republican like Abe.

By the way... has anyone seen my envelope with the names?

Respectfully,
Col. Blake Strickler
Commandant of VMI

Army of the Mississippi
Chief of Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:03 pm 
Not listening to "that man" is the ONLY censorship I believe in....If thats wrong, I don't want to be right.....lol....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am 

Gentlemen . . .

Whilst I do not believe in censorship, I do question the loyalties of any man that would listen to the advice of a 'Politician' . . possibly the lowest breed of Humanity, closely followed by the Lawyer breed. [:p]

"That Man" was possibly one of the most skillful of the Political Class of the 1800's. But rather than crow about that particular 'compliment' from a Southern Officer, "Those People" should hang their heads, as it in reality compares to a statement that he was the "Slimiest of Slugs". [:o)]

IF he practised what He preached, He would have torn or set aside his letters to Anderson, promising re-supply and Reinforcements and instructed the Union Soldiers to vacate Fort Sumter as genteely requested by the Rightful Government!

They were after all Trespassers and their Presence was no longer required nor was it welcome.

Pat. <currently stirring a Pot> [:D]

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Lieutenant General.
Highland Division.
II Corps.
Army of Georgia.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

Profile Send private message