American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Great Historical Site
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:18 pm 

It lists the names of Soldiers and Sailors who served in the Civil War.

I have discovered that 135 soldiers served in the Civil War with the surname of Elkin

I even found myself

Elkin, David Union Infantry
27th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry

The site is located at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/

In looking up the regiment Wiki says that it served in the 1864 Knoxville campaing

Quoting the site:

The 27th Kentucky Infantry was organized at Rochester, Kentucky and mustered in for a three year enlistment on March 21, 1862 under the command of Colonel Charles D. Pennebaker.

The regiment was attached to 19th Brigade, 4th Division, Army of the Ohio, to September 1862. 19th Brigade, 4th Division, II Corps, Army of the Ohio, to November 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Left Wing, XIV Corps, Army of the Cumberland, November 1862. District of Western Kentucky, Department of the Ohio, to June 1863. Unattached, 2nd Division, XXIII Corps, Army of the Ohio, to August 1863. Unattached, Munfordville, Kentucky, 1st Division, XXIII Corps, to October 1863. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, XXIII Corps, to November 1863. 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, Cavalry Corps, Department of the Ohio, to April 1864. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, XXIII Corps, to June 1864. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, XXIII Corps, to December 1864. 2nd Division, District of Kentucky and Department of Kentucky, to March 1865.

The 27th Kentucky Infantry mustered out of service on March 29, 1865.

How cool is that?

Col Elkin
AotT

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:28 am 

Thanks for the information. This is a great site.

General
Chief of Armies - CSA
ACWGC Cabinet Member

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Abraham Lincoln
January 12, 1848.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am 

It must not have a complete database because I could not find my antecedent, Pvt. Edmund Dayton of the 36th Wisconsin Infantry, yet he is listed in the OR.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:14 am 

Just noticed this thread as I have not been visiting the new style club forum that much since the switch. Cruces' comment about finding "himself" in the records reminded be of a similar experience I had myself.

I've done a couple of tours round the Normandy battlefields as part of summer holidays in past years including visits to a large number of military cemeteries (not a particularly morbid habit in the context of the visit generally).

From the Teutonic heroism imbued by the dark atmosphere in the German cemetary at La Cambe, the grand scale of the immaculate American cemetery at St Laurent and the modest intimacy of the British cemetery at Bayeux (British war grave commisssion sites are typically modelled along the style of an English country garden) you get a very good sense of the lesson you should come away with.

I was strolling between the plots at Bayeux stopping occasionally to read the inscriptions at random (with over 4000 graves you would be hard pushed to read all of them in a single visit) and after a while your mind starts to haze over at the similarity of the names and dates and ages etched on the headstones of the men buried there (the British soldiers stones nearly always depict the emblem of the Regiment they served with, which is useful for for recognising the distribution of casualties once you have a knowledge of the various designs).

I got to the end of one row and as I was about to move on I stopped abruptly. Something had registered that I hadn't quite absorbed immediately. I worked my way back down the line checking each stone and about 5 or 6 back I found it:

Private
J. Wilkes
Warwickshire Regt
7th June 1944
age 26

My name, beneath the "Digglyda" username, is James Wilkes. My Birthday is the 7th June 1971 and my age at the time of the visit to the cemetery was 26. Furthermore, Warwickshire is the county that my Paternal side of the family come from. My own Father did basic Infantry training with the Warwicks before joining the Parachute Regiment for his National service (as a 20 year old lance-corporal, he had veterans of Arnhem under his command during his time serving in Egypt!).
The sense of shock is imaginable and certainly served as a very personal reminder of the reason for visiting in the first place. Upon returning home I did some researching into my namesakes grave but unfortunately the material available online was limited. I did discover that he was in actual fact a "John" and not a "James" like myself. I certainly made sure to place a stand of flowers on his grave on a subsequent return to Normandy.