American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:38 am 

Gentlemen.

I would like to float an idea for consideration and your thoughts on the matter.

Within the HPS Game system is a facility to play Battle/Game – ‘live’ via Direct Play through ‘Internet TCP/IP connection’. This facility can be used by two Players or by many.

I am interested in organising such a Battle between the USA and CSA.

What I envisage is that a Group of Players from both sides is ‘gathered together’. A Battlefield agreed and a SOLID date confirmed for the Battle.

Each side assigns a Commanding Officer as Team Captain.

Each Team Member is assigned a Brigade/Division/Corps.

At an agreed time, on the agreed date – everyone signs into the Game.

Battle commences with an agreed allotted time for each side to complete their movements/fire etc.

There will be problems regarding Time Zones, Officers having limited time to commit to the Battle on the Day, etc . . . .

It would need a commitment from those playing to maintain their presence in the Game for as long as possible on the day. So I propose that the planning begin now for a Battle occurring over Thanksgiving or during the Christmas Holidays or some time similar.

Basically, the Battle would need to be viewed by all participants as a re-enactment of the Historical Battle. (With or without the Dressing Up and Role Playing). Participants would need to rise on Battleday, eat Breakfast and “go to War” for the duration OR for as long as they can during that Day.

Interested? See Problems? Wanna know more?

Post here and we’ll see what develops . . . :twisted:

Pat.

AoG

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:05 am 

Sir

I for one would be extreely intrested.
There is always the question of the time zone and how much time one has then avalable.
But ,Im intrested and as I have few times played part in a multi player game (it can take
ages and a little or nothing happens ,im al for them and enjoy them greatly ,but I cant
remember getting a game finished in a MP game.

To try staying alive for the game (even 1-3 days ;o) ) would be worth the try.
Take care
Einar

XVth Corp AoT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:51 am 

I used to play(briefly) in a club devoted to TCP/IP play with the Civil War Generals game. To sit at a computer for hours (with hopefully no breaks in the connection) is rather difficult but it can be done in an exciting battle. The problem is time zones. For instance, I am -8hrs from Ireland so it would mean one of us is staying up real late. Your best bet would be to arrange such a game with the guys in the EU. I can say that playing in real time against each other can be a gut wrenching experience (meant in the best way) and extremely rewarding. But you do have to eat and go to the john once in a while so breaks are required. The stability of the connection is also a concern. We would have that problem in the US occasionally. Good luck with setting it up. I hope you can get something going.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:53 am 

The best bet for a stable connection, is going through a system like hamachi, its free, easy to set up, and will keep the connection going strong regardless on how many are on the connection