American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: High Tide Tournament
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 pm 

It appears that the great server in the sky has swallowed up the previous High Tide Tournament posts so let’s catch you up to speed.

You can catch up with the results of the High Tide Tournament brackets in the Link Express at http://garyned.tripod.com/High%20Tide%20Home.htm . High Tide was designed to be a single elimination tournament employing many of the different styles that members play. The Round Top Bracket is played in turns with all options on except MDF and Optional Melee Resolution; while the Cemetery Ridge Bracket is played in turns with all options on except MDF to include Optional Melee Resolution is turned on; and the Culp’s Hill Bracket is played in phases with all options on to include MDF and Optional Melee Resolution.

Using the tournament as a reflection of what members prefer as their main playing options, Round Top started with 29 participants, Cemetery Ridge with 30 participants, and Culp’s Hill started with 16 participants. The expectation would be that each bracket would see a different champion since the skills required for each bracket are so varied. Well, expectations do not always come to fruition.

The Champion of the Culp’s Hill Bracket has been decided as Brig Gen Doug Shaw of the Army of the Cumberland (USA) garnered the trophy by advancing past Gen Jeff Laub in the final round.

The Round Top Bracket is down to the finals with Brig Gen Doug Shaw having advanced past Gen Jeff Laub in one semi-final and Lt Gen Pat Thompson advancing past Maj Gen Mike Seger in the other semi-final. Their final match is about to begin.

The Cemetery Ridge Bracket is also down to the finals with Brig Gen Doug Shaw again having advanced past Gen Jeff Laub in one semi-final and Maj Gen Drex Ringbloom advancing past Lt Gen Pat Thompson in the other semi-final. So far, we have been talking about #1 and #2 seeds but Maj Gen Ringbloom is a #8 seed which would indicate that either a fella can learn from experience or that money talks and I’m not trying to determine which that it is. The final match in the Cemetery Ridge Bracket is also about to begin.

One of the biggest challenges that this tournament has shown has been the difficulty in identifying balanced short scenarios available in a HPS format. The only good method of identifying balanced scenarios in BG has been long term playability as captured by the club data base. Results from being played by only a few players can be skewed due to the different playing capabilities of each player. Without a lot of balanced short scenarios, tournaments would need to use mirror matches which are also not completely fair and doubles the game load. We have also learned from this tournament that a balanced scenario today can become an unbalanced scenario tomorrow due to changes made to the HPS engine or the options that are chosen to be played with.

But enough rambling as we have two more champions to decide in this tournament and they are waiting on their green flag to start their games. I would point out though that it has boiled down in the last two finals to be Army of the Shenandoah against Army of the Cumberland.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: High Tide Tournament
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:56 pm 

That was a very interesting post, Ned! Thanks for going to the trouble of making it. I wonder if its really possible to construct a truly balanced scenario without designing one side of the field and placing the troops on it, and then flipping the whole thing over for the other side, hex for hex, unit for unit.

Of course, my money has to be on Doug Shaw for anything he is entered into. He literally exploded onto the scene while I was an officer in the Army of the Cumberland, and I cannot recall that he's ever been "bushwacked" in anything.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:03 pm 

I'm Drexel VIIIth I am,
VIIIth Corps man with an 8th seed plan,
I've been playing way over my head,
but its not too late for sh*t to hit the fan,
Still I'm just a Drexel,
Not a Dougie or a Pat,
I''m Drexel VIIIth I am, Iam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:26 pm 

Drex, that's good. You're like a Greek Siren - enticing your opponents into shipwrecking on the rocks at your feet. I don't think that Siren was the word that came to mind though when I sang your tune to my family.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:30 pm 

You remember Herman's Hermits? Boy, you are old. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 pm 

I'm Into Something Good
Mrs Brown, You Have a Lovely Daughter
Can't You Hear My Heartbeat
There's a Kind of Hush

I'm early Baby Boomer all the way but you had better be singing what Doug either loves or hates so that you can keep him distracted.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:11 pm 

Congrats to the winners and finalists, Drex and Ned keep the day jobs. :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am 

We now have the Champion decided in two of the three brackets. Brig Gen Doug Shaw has won both the Culp's Hill and the Cemetery Ridge Brackets and is currently engaged with Lt Gen Pat Thompson for the Round Top Bracket title. Will there be a sweep or will Lt Gen Thompson have the broom put back into the closet and claim one title himself?

VMI Class of '00