American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am 
Gettysburg: The Battle That Saved America appears tonight on the military channel
at 8PM CST, I see it is a repeat, would appreciate any comments, a must see or only
marginal etc. I only partially caught the Civil War Generals discussion on C-Span
by major Civil War authors moderated by Gen Wesley Clark, missed the repeat but
what I saw was excellent and am trying to not miss anymore opportunities. There is a
following hour long program on the Gettysburg address. One of my favorite programs
was an interview of the late Shelby Foote (I've forgotten the interviewer) in his study where
he did his writing and I just happened on that program, he was a very interesting and of course
colorful character.
Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 am 

Is any of this stuff available on the web, us real southern southerners down in Australia can't get all this good stuff :(

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:11 pm 
Cam,
I see where a lot of programs on the military channel and I think the history channel
are available on YouTube and Facebook, I don't know if they are complete programs
and new programs are rotated thru but I think so. I used to have HDTV and a DVR
but when I moved a year ago I downsized and do not have a dvr. I'm thinking you
could record programs to disc but you had to get the computer involved.
I recenly had just the basic cable and am just not interested in pawn shops and ice driving
so expanded to digital cable and am currently enjoying a show on Monty and El Alamein
well worth the extra cable bill.
What I wasn't able to record I could order excellent programs from the PBS shop. I had an excellent
WWI documentary based on the book by Prof Hew Strachan, done in the style of The World at War
and had that complete series with extras also, but a certain unnamed Major borrowed and never returned
the WWI while stationed in Kabul 2006-2007 with the national guard, anyway, the military channel
recently showed this but I wasn't able to record it, but PBS Shop seems to carry a lot of history and military
programs from these speficic channels, but they must be purchased. HDTV's are getting cheaper, my cable only offers DVR's
but there are digital video recorders that record to various devices but think my cable co would only let me use it's DVR which only stores a limited amount of programs and not able to record to other devices, maybe other members know more about this, would appreciate any information.
Cam, I thought with a satellite dish in Australia you might have access to about anything.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:45 pm 

I was able to record this one and the one about the GB address. I watched a few minutes of the show and found it very interesting.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm 

Ray,

Thanks for the advice, I will look up PBS. We have satellite TV, but the History Chanel does not appear to show much ACW stuff.

Cheers

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 pm 
Gentlemen,
I also like the Gettysburg program, although it said it was a repeat I do not
remember seeing it before and offered some new insights.
The History Channel has a great series on the Civil War, hadn't seen it on in a long time,
the last I saw one was very early in the morning, they seem to be more into profiling current
jobs, modern marvels, or how things are made, last week there was a show on "dirt".
Since I added the digital package lately, there are 3 additional history channels (in addition
to the military channel) and they show a lot more of the traditional history programs, but the
pawn, pickers, and extreme job programs seem to be popular right now. They are interesting
but an occassional World at War or something from the Civil War series are always repeatedly
watchable to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:32 am 

Civil War Journal is on Tuesday mornings on the History Channel at 7 AM EST. Seems as though their better stuff is on during non primetime hours.

The Military Channel has been a welcome addition to my viewing, now that we have digital.

Stewart's Corps
Army of Tennessee
Confederate Army