American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need 4 Good Rebs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:55 pm 

An oxymoron, I understand. Easier to find a needle in a haystack, I understand. However, I persist.

I have developed a GB scenario patterned loosely on Down the Pike #252. Seeking an MP game. We have the Yanks. Might work best if a Reb division challenges as a group. Please respond to me directly
rfrostrf@comcast.net.

The scenario has 200+ turns, although one side or another would likely resign well before that. Since there will be 3 "corps" CO on each side, your required turn would usually be only once per week.
In addition, you will likely spend much more time marching or standing in place than you will fighting.

BG Robert Frost
Army of Cumberland

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 am 
Brig. General Frost,
Robert,

A most interesting proposition!

I'm sure that some of my boys in the AotM would be most interested in the engagement. I shall send out a dispatch letting them know about it immediately! <salute>

General Leonidas Polk
Cmdg, AotM
Confederate States of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:14 am 
Brig. General Frost,
Robert,

Dang, Sir! I've already been contacted by one of my Division Cmdrs and he says he and I and two other AotM Officer's should take up the challenge! Since he's twisting my arm... I guess we'll step up and accept your challenge, Sir!

At the moment, the Rebel forces consist of myself and Major General Jan Welleman. I shall let you know who the other two Officer's will be shortly. Please send the scenario file to me at husker6101@yahoo.com so that I can review it and begin putting together our battle plan.

Warmest Regards,

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:53 am 
Brig. General Frost,
Robert,

The third Officer on the AotM team will be Major General Jon Hooper! <salute>

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 pm 

Gen Frost,

I'd be interested in seeing your changes.

I sent an e-mail to you directly.

Lt. General Thompson
XIX Corps,
Army of the Shenandoah

"That's damn ungenerous! I shall take those guns for that!"

-General Phil Sheridan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm 

Gentleme,
I'm ready and available.

Maj. Gen. Giorgio Beacco
2nd Division
3rd Corps
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:33 am 
Gentlemen,

The decision has been made to defer to Colonel Neal Hebert and his Second "Gator Alley" Division with regards to this particular battle. His boys have been waiting for an opportunity like this for a couple months and I felt they deserved it more!

I shall lead the Officer's I was putting together into a different battle at a later date!

"Colonel Hebert... bring home the victory, Sir!" <salute>

General Roger Hulinsky
Cmdg, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 am 

General Hulinsky <salute>

Sir, my compliments! 2nd Division has mobilized and the first warning order has been issued to commanders.

In fact, we're already recieving reports from the Emmitsburg area. A local farmer recently filed a complaint with the Yankee cavalry after losing a calf to an alligator, which it seems aren't native to the area. Nicodemus must have been out for an evening swim and needed a snack.

I am your humble servant,

Col Neal Hebert
2nd Division, I Corps, AotM
Adjutant, VMI

Post subject: Re: Need 4 Good Rebs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:33 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

Was trolling about through the old topics and ran across this one. In the event General Hulinsky sneaks in a "peak" now and then, I offer this battle summary.

Gator Alley's strategy was pretty simple to begin the battle. Get our forces east and across the Monocacy River line as quickly as possible, as II Corps arrived on the east side and would need the support of the rest of the army. Orders to General Ewell were that he would retain command of any cavalry arriving on the east side of the river obstacle until such time that the rest of the army linked up, and he was to delay their entry until his corps had arrived to prevent the Yankee cavalry from decimating them prior.

I Corps was the first to arrive west of Emmitsburg, and General Longstreet's orders were to march east and force a crossing just to the west of the Harney P.O. These orders were later changed by General Lee himself who rode to the head of General McLaw's column and directed that McLaws divert south to the crossing just north of the Taneytown Pike. The Harney P.O. crossing offered excellent observation and fields of fire to the Yankees, while the southern crossing offered good concealment to approaching forces with superior terrain to position artillery in support. Once a brigade bridgehead was established, the Yankees would be in a pickle to prevent its expansion.

The Yankee strategy evolved as expected, with I Corps sent north to oppose General Ewell. Lutz Schmidt commanded I Corps, and his delaying fight was excellent. In the end, however, it was just I Corps against General Ewell and by the end of the first day the I Corps had been driven back after suffering tremendous casualties, enough so that they were not again involved in the battle.

The Yankee XI Corps was detailed to guarding crossings well to the south, and for the large part were not involved in the battle. Individual units were identified moving north once the seriousness of the situation in the north was recognized, however never in sufficient force to alter the course of the battle. Of note was von Gilsa, viewed moving past the major effort of McLaws to assume positions at the Harney P.O., and then reversing course to oppose McLaws who had forced a crossing by the time he arrived. This opened a second "front", and we may well have delayed for a lengthy period if he had instead moved to directly oppose McLaws.

I have no idea of the original mission for the Yankee XII Corps, however at least 1 division was diverted to engage McLaws after his crossing. The Yankee command seemed to be overly concerned with our intentions toward Manchester, well to the north of the exit hexes at the extreme southeastern corner of the map. Their cavalry was deployed primarily in defense of this and was never a factor in the battle.

Day 1 ended with our forces having forced a river crossing and seriously depleting I Corps and a portion of XII Corps. We anticipated that day 2 would find the Yankee line just to the east of Taneytown, however they instead decided to construct a defense along a portion of the historic "Pipe Creek Line".

Our day 2 advance found I Corps had been detailed to guard against an approach from the north (never considered), with XII Corps entrenching well north of the Taneytown Pike opposite our II Corps. General Ewell was directed to engage at distance with artillery and keep them occupied, but by no means launch an assault against fortified positions on superior ground.

By this time, I Corps was almost fully in place with III Corps directly behind them. General Longstreet was directed to advance east along the Taneytown Pike and maneuver to the north of the crossing, flanking any position established blocking the bridge and denying the Yankee forces the opportunity to delay the column along the unfordable portions of the creek. General Hill was directed to send his lead division in the direction of Uniontown and force a crossing, or at least tie up any opposition from assisting farther north, while the other 2 divisions would follow Longstreet.

In the end, the Yankee II Corps was the only unit facing both I Corps and III Corps. We had also identified a 1 mile gap between XII Corps to the north and II Corps, and couriers were dispatched to General Ewell to advance available forces to exploit that gap, denying any opportunity to assist.

With II Corps facing destruction and III Corps still well over an hour away from providing any help the Yankee command surrendered the battlefield in hope of establishing a defense of Washington D.C.

The final tally:
Yankees suffered 17,263 infantry and 1,250 cavalry casualties
Confederates suffered 7,902 infantry and 699 cavalry casualties.

Roger, thanks for giving us the opportunity. We miss you!

CSA Cabinet Secretary