American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 pm 

July 23, 1861 Tuesday
While the reverberations of Bull Run or Manassas continued in both capitals and both nations, people did wonder what was coming next. It seemed that the battle in Virginia had ended one phase of the war or started another. Federal command changes continued, with Maj Gen John A Dix taking over the Department of Maryland, and Brig Gen W.S. Rosecrans assuming command of the Department of the Ohio, which included western Virginia. In New Mexico Territory Federal troops were forced to abandon Fort Buchanan.

President Lincoln was busy indeed, but he did jot down a memorandum of military policy, a result of the Bull Run defeat. In this he suggested pushing the blockade, strengthening forces in the Shenandoah Valley, reorganizing the troops around Washington, bringing new men forward quickly, and in general firmly standing and preparing for increased war. A disgruntled captain tells President Lincoln of Gen. Sherman having threatened to shoot him, to which Lincoln replies: "Well, if I were you and he threatened to shoot, I would not trust him, for I believe he would do it." President Lincoln and Sen. Sumner (Mass.) discuss emancipation until midnight.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 pm 

July 24, 1861 Wednesday
Confederate troops of Brig Gen Henry A. Wise at Tyler Mountain in western Virginia, near Charleston, retreated as the Federals of Jacob D, Cox, after a difficult march, began to attack the rear of the Confederate camp. During the night Wise pulled his entire force out of Charleston and vicinity and retired toward Gauley Bridge. There was slight skirmishing also at Back River, Virginia and at Blue Mills, Missouri but fighting for the moment was limited.

President Lincoln sees experiments with Sherwin's rifled cannon and orders construction of the six-pounder.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:54 pm 

July 25, 1861 Thursday
The United States Senate, following the course of the House, passed the Crittenden Resolution that the present war was being fought to maintain the Union and Constitution and not to interfere with established institutions such as slavery. Andrew Johnson of Tennessee moved adoption. The vote was 30 to 5.

Three new Federal commanders assumed important posts – Maj Gen Banks superseded Patterson in the Shenandoah, Maj Gen Dix took command in Baltimore, and Maj Gen John Charles Fremont assumed his post of command in the Western Department at St Louis, soon to be a subject of much controversy.

There was skirmishing at Dug Springs in southwest Missouri, and indications were that more action would be seen in the general area of Springfield soon. There was also fighting at Harrisonville, Missouri. In New Mexico Territory a force of Confederates moving up the Rio Grande were attacked at Mesilla by Maj Isaac Lynde and his troops from nearby Fort Fillmore. The Confederates under Capt John R. Baylor numbering about 250 (2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles (Confederate army))had moved up from El Paso, Texas. They were part of the famous “buffalo hunt” organized by Baylor before action began – a group meant to attempt to take the Southwest out of Union control. Lynde made a desultory attack which was easily repulsed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Mesilla . In western Virginia Federals under Jacob Cox occupied Charleston on the Great Kanawha. Northern balloon observation operations began at Fort Monroe.

Robert Mercer Taliaferro Hunter, Virginia lawyer and political figure, was named Secretary of State of the Confederacy, succeeding Robert Toombs, who resigned to enter military service.

C.S.S. Sumter, under Commander Semmes, captured schooner Abby Bradford in the Caribbean Sea and, denied the right to enter Venezuela with Confederate prizes, dispatched her to a Southern port. Confederate privateer Mariner, commanded by Captain W. B. Berry, captured American schooner Nathaniel Chase off Ocracoke Inlet, North Carolina. Confederate privateer Gordon captured American brig William McGilvery off Cape Hatteras with cargo of molasses. Confederate privateer Dixie captured American schooner Mary Alice off the east coast of Florida. U.S.S. Resolute, commanded by Acting Master W. Budd, brought two schooners and one sloop as prizes into Washington, D.C.

Some Confederate currency experienced its second issue http://www.csacurrency.com/csacur/csat0712.htm .

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 pm 

July 26, 1861 Friday
During the night and early on the 27th Major Isaac Lynde, 7th U.S. Infantry, abandoned Fort Fillmore near Mesilla, New Mexico Territory, in the face of Confederates under Captain John R. Baylor. Although outnumbering the enemy 500 to 250, Lynde pulled out, heading for Fort Stanton.

At McCulla’s Store, Missouri there was a small affair. Brig Gen Gelix K. Zollicoffer was assigned Confederate command in east Tennessee.

New York delegation (Judge McKean, Gen. Bullard, and Prof. McCoy) urges recall of Gen. Wool to active service.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm 

July 27, 1861 Saturday
President Lincoln calls Maj Gen George B. McClellan to the White House and officially places him in command of all troops in the Federal Division of the Potomac, which included all troops in the vicinity of Washington. He had been called to the post the day after Bull Run and replaced defeated Maj Gen McDowell. President Lincoln later summons Maj Gen McClellan to a cabinet meeting that does not include Gen. Scott, who learns of the arrangement and detains McClellan in conference until the meeting is over. McClellan later wrote "I explained to the President the cause of my apparent lack of courtesy, at which he seemed more amused than otherwise." McClellan tells his wife, "I find myself in a new and strange position here: President, cabinet, Gen. Scott, and all deferring to me. By some strange operation of magic I seem to have become the power of the land."

After giving up Fort Fillmore without a fight, Maj Isaac Lynde surrendered his ten companies to Capt John R. Baylor at San Augustine Springs, New Mexico Territory without firing a shot. The surrender left a large part of New Mexico open to Confederate invasion. Maj Lynde was discharged from the Army in November, but after the war this was revoked and he was put on the retired list.

President Lincoln added to his memo of July 23 regarding moves to be made following Bull Run. He wrote that Manassas Junction, Virginia and Strasburg in the Shenandoah should be seized and that a joint movement be made from Cairo on Memphis and from Cincinnati on east Tennessee. The latter seems difficult in view of the “neutrality” of Kentucky. A congressional act was approved that called for indemnification of the states for expenses in defending the nation. President Lincoln approves letter of Sec. Seward to Henry S. Sanford, American minister in Brussels, offering commission in army to Giuseppe Garibaldi, liberator of Italy.

C.S.S. Sumter, under Commander Semmes, captured American bark Joseph Maxwell off Venezuela.

Here is an example of what happens during a war that can confuse and irritate the best of them http://www.wvculture.org/history/sesqui ... 10721.html .

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:55 pm 

July 28, 1861 Sunday
Confederate troops occupied New Madrid, Missouri, an important defensive point on the Mississippi just across from the Tennessee-Kentucky state line. Gen R.E. Lee left his post as advisor in Richmond for an inspection in western Virginia, where the Confederates had suffered serious defeats. In the Confederacy a day of thanksgiving was observed for success of Southern arms in defending their homes. Report by Brig Gen Longstreet on the aftermath of First Manassas (First Bull Run) http://www.generallongstreet.com/records/28July61.html .

U.S.S. Union, under Commander J. R. Goldsborough, destroyed former American brig B. T. Martin north of Cape Hatteras, where she had been run aground by Confederates. The B. T. Martin had been captured previously by the Confederate privateer York. Confederate privateer Gordon captured American schooner Protector off Cape Hatteras. U.S.S. St. Lawrence, commanded by Captain Purviance, sank Confederate privateer Petrel off Charleston.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm 

July 29, 1861 Monday
Horace Greeley, who had called for “Forward to Richmond” in his New York Tribune, now wrote the President favoring negotiations for peace. Federal vessels of the Potomac flotilla dueled with a new Confederate battery and there was action against batteries at Marlborough Point, Virginia, also on the Potomac. There was a skirmish at Edwards’ Ferry, Maryland on the Potomac. Congress was rapidly approving the various measures already put into effect by the President. Today President Lincoln approved a bill to call out the militia to suppress rebellion, which amended the old 1795 militia act. The Regular Army was enlarged by nine infantry regiments and one each of cavalry and artillery. Federal Brig Gen John Pope assumed command in northern Missouri. Letters describing the campaign into the White River in southwest Missouri and the destruction of Forsyth were published ( http://thelibrary.org/lochist/periodica ... sp94d.html ). President Lincoln advises Gov. Morgan (N.Y.) to stop three-month enlistment and send 25,000 men for three-year period or duration of war, receives list of brigadier appointments from Sen. Browning (Ill.), transmits articles of agreement with Arapaho and Cheyenne Indians to Senate, and Asks Kentucky delegation in Congress if they will consent to "my friend Jesse Bayles" raising "a Kentucky Regiment.”

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:22 pm 

July 30, 1861 Tuesday
The Federal troops of Jacob Cox had moved up the Great Kanawha Valley from Charleston and entered the area of Gauley Bridge. Gen Benjamin F. Butler in command at Fort Monroe again wrote Sec of War Cameron seeking clarification of policy on the continuing problems of “contraband,” as he designated former slaves who came into Federal lines. He had some 900 Negroes in his care and asked “What shall be done with them?” He raised the question of whether or not they were property. The problem included their treatment under the fugitive slave law, but Butler had used the Negro men on fortifications and was anxious to make them an instrument of war by refusing to return them to the rebels. Gen Fremont wrote President Lincoln regarding his view of the status in Missouri http://hd.housedivided.dickinson.edu/node/37334 .

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 pm 

July 31, 1861 Wednesday
The State Convention of Missouri formally elected Hamilton R. Gamble as pro-Union governor of the state, replacing pro-Confederate Claiborne Jackson. Gamble was inaugurated and made a patriotic speech. An act of the Federal Congress was approved which defined conspiracy against the United States and set up punishments for the crime of overthrowing or attempting to put down or destroy by force the government of the United States. Naval activity had been high during the latter part of July with Confederate privateers and C.S.S. Sumter active, while at the same time Federal blockaders were making their presence felt. President Lincoln nominated obscure Col Ulysses S. Grant and 10 others (including William Tecumseh Sherman, Joseph Hooker, William B. Franklin, Samuel Heintzelman) as Brigadier Generals of Volunteers.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 am 

August 1, 1861 Thursday
Gen Robert E. Lee, CSA Army, and adviser to President Davis, arrived in western Virginia on an uncertain mission to coordinate and inspect the various Confederate forces there. However, the mission soon developed into his taking command, replacing W.W. Loring, who had succeeded slain Gen Garnett.

Way to the southwest in New Mexico Territory, John R. Baylor, with his “buffalo hunters” who were really Confederate soldiers, proclaimed in the name of the Confederacy the possession of all New Mexico and Arizona south of the 34th parallel. Pro-unionists of New Mexico, however, considered it more of a “Texas invasion.” Confederate Territory of Arizona established by proclamation by Lt. Col. Baylor, with Mesilla (NM) as capital, and Baylor as governor. There was a slight skirmish at Endina, Missouri. Brazil recognized the Confederate States of America as a belligerent.

President Davis wrote from Richmond to Gen Joseph E. Johnston at Manassas on military matters and said, “We must be prompt to avail ourselves of the weakness resulting” from the moral effect produced by the Bull Run defeat of the Federals. The U.S. Senate debated a bill to suppress insurrection and sedition. The Onandaga County, New York Cavalry, 80 strong, left for war with a young bride, Mrs. Cook, accompanying her husband as “daughter of the regiment.” President Lincoln appointed Gustavus Vasa Fox Assistant Secretary of the Navy. Fox had been chief clerk of the department and already had a prominent role in the administration of things naval. The steamer, U.S.S. Mohawk, took up a blockade position outside St. Marks, Florida.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm 

August 2, 1861 Friday
The Federal Congress passed the first national income tax measure, calling for 3 per cent on incomes of over $800. The bill also provided for new and stiffer tariffs.

Northern forces abandoned Fort Stanton, New Mexico Territory, in the face of the Confederate invasion of the Soutwest. At Dug Springs, Missouri, not far from Springfield, a skirmish showed Federals that opposition forces of Missourians and Confederates were in the area. In southeastern Missouri there was a Federal reconnaissance from Ironton to Centreville.

While Gen Nathaniel Lyon was expecting serious trouble in southwestern Missouri, the department commander, Gen Fremont, was steaming down the Mississippi from St Louis with eight boats and reinforcements, which were enthusiastically welcomed at Cairo, Ill.

At Fort Monroe, Virginia, Gen Butler banned the sale of intoxicating liquors, but soldiers found ways of evading the order. Whisky was found in the gun barrels of pickets and in hair oil bottles.

General McClellan wrote his wife: “I handed Lincoln a plan for conducting the war on a large scale. I shall carry this thing en grand and crush the rebels in one campaign. Scott is very slow and very old. He cannot retain command and when he retires I will succeed him.” McClellan, intent on gathering the reins of power to himself, rejected Scott’s plan of enveloping the rebel states, by seizing possession of the Mississippi to its mouth with the principal army operating on that line, and substituted a plan of designating the army forming at Washington the principal army and moving it against Richmond.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:15 pm 

August 3, 1861 Saturday
Fighting was still meager, with only a skirmish at McCulla’s Store, Missouri and at Mesilla, New Mexico Territory. But in Washington and Richmond activities were much more brisk. President Lincoln and his Cabinet conferred on a memorandum of Gen McClellan regarding military affairs which was “I advise that a strong movement be made on the Mississippi, and that the rebels be driven out of Missouri. A movement through Kentucky into Tennessee, seizing the railroads from Memphis to the east is also feasible. For the main army of operations (under his command at Washington) I need 250 regiments, 225,000 men. Its general line of operations should be directed that water transportation can be availed from point to point. . . a strong naval force to protect the fleet of transports intended to convey troops. (He is already thinking of reaching Richmond by Fort Monroe and the Yorktown peninsula.) The question is, shall we crush the rebellion in one blow, terminate the war in one campaign, or shall it (go on forever)?”

Prince Napoleon of France visited President Lincoln at noon and found a notable lack of ceremony at the White House. "The Prince, arriving (at White House) with Baron Mercier, found no one—neither butler nor doorman—at the main entrance to show him in . . . I do not remember which employee, who happened to be passing by, took care of this duty." The meeting was "not so gay"; the Prince, huffed at his reception, "took a cruel pleasure in remaining silent." In the evening the Lincolns gave a dinner for the prince. A newspaper reports, "Prince Napoleon was seated at the right of Mrs. Lincoln and opposite General [Winfield] Scott, who was at the President's left. Gen. [George B.] McClellan was at the right of [the] Prince . . . The affair was unusually sociable and enjoyable . . . a fact much due to the tact of Mrs. Lincoln in so grouping the guests as to bring parties together likely to enjoy each other's society and conversation."

Federal congressional acts approved included one for construction of one or more armored ships and floating batteries, and another for better organization of the Army. A number of military commissions were affirmed by the Senate. The Navy ordered certain Southern ports to be blockaded by sinking old vessels loaded with stone in the main channels, a method that proved ineffective.

In Baltimore military authorities seized a steamer after finding aboard contraband consisting of arms, ammunition, percussion caps, and quinine, all meant for the South. The ladies of upstate New York sent Lincoln 1300 havelocks, a headdress supposed to keep dust and heat from the soldiers and made in great numbers with loving care, but given scant use by the men.

A balloon ascension was made at Hampton Roads from the deck of a Federal vessel. Scouting after Indians occupied Federal troops until the 12th from Fort Crook to Round Valley, California.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm 

August 4, 1861 Sunday
A quiet Sunday, and in New York a meeting was held to combat intemperance in the Federal Army. In Richmond President Davis wrote Beauregard at Manassas that as far as following up the Federal retreat at the late battle was concerned, “it would have been extremely hazardous to have done more than was performed.”

Cutter from U.S.S. Thomas Freeborn, commanded by Lieutenant Eastman, captured schooner Pocahontas, loaded with wood, and sloop Mary Grey in Pohick Creek, Virginia.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm 

August 5, 1861 Monday
The Federal Congress was winding up its thirty-four day special session. Measures approved by Lincoln included an authorization for the President to enlist seamen for the entire length of the war; a tariff increase; issuance of new bonds; and a new, direct $20,000,000 real estate and income tax. After January 1, 1862, the income tax of 3 per cent on incomes over $800 would go into effect. It was never enforced and was revised in 1862. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1861

Fighting was confined to skirmishes at Athens, Missouri and opposite Point of Rocks, Maryland in Virginia. The Federal Ship Jamestown, operating off the coast near Fernandina, Florida captured the Alvarado, the first reported capture of a blockade runner in Florida waters. The residents of Amelia Island, who witnessed the capture, attempted to come to the aid of the stricken blockade runner. The Union ship captain, fearing a rescue foray from the nearby shore, ordered the Alvarado burned. Off Galveston, Texas a few shots were fired by blockaders, replied to by Confederate shore batteries. Federal troops under Gen Nathaniel Lyon were falling back on Springfield, Missouri from Dug Springs upon reports that a large force of Confederate and Missouri state men were moving upon the major city of southwestern Missouri.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:45 pm 

August 6, 1861 Tuesday
The Federal Congress adjourned after approving all acts, orders, and proclamations of the President concerning the Army and Navy issued after March 4, 1861. President Lincoln was at the Capitol to sign bills, including one freeing slaves employed or used by Confederates in arms or labor against the United States, and another establishing increased pay for the private soldier. He hesitated, but signed the first act that confiscated property used for purposes of insurrection against the nation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confiscation_Act_of_1861

As a Kentucky congressman declared in the House that Kentucky was still firmly in the Union, near Lexington a pro-Union camp named Dick Robinson was established over the protest of pro-secessionists and neutralists.

VMI Class of '00

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next