American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:35 pm 

Gentlemen,

I am installing the games on a new computer and was wondering about any mods that may enhance the map. I have Bill Peters' trails, roads and pikes and a file that gives a "clean" hex look in 2D normal view. Does any one know of other mods like these? Streams, rivers, creeks, railroads, etc?

Also how do you make these modification files?

With respect,

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:47 am 

The "Gettysburg" Map mod on Old Banshee's site actually works for all the modules. You can find it at:

http://old-banshee.yolasite.com/gettysburg-weather-and-map-mod.php

It's also available on the Wargamer download site at:

http://wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=4788

More screenshots and the link at the HPS forum at the wargamer:

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=459029

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:29 am 

sc_rebel: The how part of mods - there isn't really a straightforward answer -or one size fits all type of answer. For me, a lot of it depends upon how comfortable one is with an image editing program and working with layers. If all of that sounded Greek, then -well it might be a little tough to explain.

At any rate- as far as the maps go, that would all be done to the bitmap files in the Map folder of any given title (this applies to pretty much all John Tiller designs -or at least all that I have had a chance to see (I haven't had a chance to see any Modern Air Power -so it might not work the same way there). Basically you change the images in the hexes, hexside features, or pretty much anything you want to take a shot at.

I know they have some mods over at the Gamesquad.com download area -however I think that largely those are the same ones that have been available on Brett Schulte's site (which I don't have the link handy -but I imagine someone in the club would as this question comes up from time to time).

I've done mod work myself for the 2d maps in a number of series - I use a version of my own -although I never put together an actual mod package yet.

I should add that in that draft version the houses were a little on the big side -so I have done some work on that - some of it has worked out, while others -not so much :) -but you can get the idea.

I was working on some water hexes too - I had a fairly nice set with some texture -but then decided that the Mississippi might look a little better in a less blue shade. Although it is a bit of a challenge when you have to work with an entire hexagon.

Anyways I figure I may get time to maybe get one done and downloadable in 2011.

Edited to add that the first screen shot might be a little deceiving in that I am pretty sure it is from one of the Ozarks maps- possibly Pea Ridge so the elevation changes are a little all over the place. I don't actually have one uploaded anywhere of say, an actual battle. I do have them somewhere though.

This one below is maybe a little more representative.