American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Civil War Ancestors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 am 

Mike,
It is indeed a small world. My Great grandfather, Jonathan Gay, Jr.'s unit, the 13 Connecticut Infantry was assigned provost duty in New Orleans after it surrender in April, 1862. They dissembarked in early May and were quartered in the Customs House for the next 4 months. They remained on provost duty until September 29,1862 when they moved out and participated in the battle of Georgia Landing in October. Sometime shortly after Jonathan came down with "Swamp Fever", probably maleria or yellow fever. He was on sick call in the field and at the US Marine hospital in New Orleans until May 18 1863 at which time he was discharged.
So its quite possible that my great grandfather and yours could have pased each other on the streets of New Orleans!! :D

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm 

Hi, Paul,

Your great grandad might even be the guy who conked my great grandad on the head! :P

You probably already know about this web page, but here is a history of the 13th Connecticut. Awhile back, I researched my cousin's husband's great grandad, who was also in a Connecticut regiment that served in Louisiana. I sent off to him but haven't heard back, and I forgot the details. If he served in your great grandad's regiment, I will let you know.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/other/ABL/ete ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm 

Mike,
Thanks for the link to Sprague's book on the 13th Connecticut. I have a reprint of the book and was awae of it. I put the link in my favorites which will make quick reference easier.
I appreciate your thoughtfullness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am 

I recently discovered a Civil War ancestor on my mother's side. My GGG Grandfather was a Sgt Henry Barshinger in the 166th Pennsylvania Infantry. I am just now doing some research on the regiment's history. This stuff is fascinating!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 pm 

pthomp14 wrote:
I recently discovered a Civil War ancestor on my mother's side. My GGG Grandfather was a Sgt Henry Barshinger in the 166th Pennsylvania Infantry. I am just now doing some research on the regiment's history. This stuff is fascinating!

AND habit forming!!!! But a lot of fun in between some frustration. There are many sources that can help track people down.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm 

I just found out my great-granduncle, Pvt. Asa H. Dayton served in the 3rd Minnesota Independent Light Artillery Battery and was involved with the Indian Wars during the Civil War(Sibley's Expedition, Sully's Expedition, Battle of Killdeer Mountain, and others.) It is habit-forming!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:38 pm 

Maternal GGrandfather, Homer Mead. A drummer boy in the 8th Iowa Cavalry. Wrote a self published book all about his adventures. While from Illinois he actually ran away from home to "be part of the adventure" as he said.

Homer was interesting. He became a country doctor on the plains of Illinois. Didn't get married until he was 50 and then to an 18 year old, my GGrandmother, Mary Mead. That had to raise eyebrows in midwestern USA of the late 1890's. She became a country doctor too, mostly learning by going on the rounds with Homer for over 30 years. And the people on those desolate plains where glad to have them. Most calls were house calls.

And she delivered my mother in Augusta Ill. in 1927.

Doug Burke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 pm 

Drex wrote:
Kennon: I wonder if your Grandfather ever asked his Dad about that experience. Perhaps he saw Armistead mortally wounded and certainly he had the vision of that fight that occurred around the guns not to mention the actual charge of the Division. You have some memorable antecedents!

Martin claimed he was there and his description is quoted by some historians but you have to take it with a grain of salt. He wrote about the fighting in a letter August 11, 1897 saying "I was disabled at Armistead's side a moment after he had fallen, on the Federal side of the rock fence." He also says in another letter in 1908 describing Armistead fall and meeting with Hancock. The problem with these is they were written well after the Civil War and after everyone had heard the stories so often their memories probably blurred them together with their own.

Most of the reports from members of the 53rd Virginia which included most of the people who made it to the gun taken list only seven or eight people around the gun with General Armistead. Those named were Col. Martin, Lt. H. L. Carter, Thomas Tredway (another relative of mine), and James C. Colerman. Lt. Carter was the other officer from Company I that was Lt. Whitehead's company. Company I was the color company for the 53rd during the attack. Lt. Carter had taken the 53rd's colors when the color bearer fell at the stone wall and taken it to the gun where Armistead was. Since almost everyone in the Chatham Grays which later became Company I are related to me or I to them, I had a bunch of relatives up there at the wall almost all of which ended up in Union prisons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:23 am 

George Washington Verble, 26, 154th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Senior). Reported missing after fighting around Shiloh Church. Never identified, never returned home.

Henry D. Van Brackle, 7th Georgia Cavalry, Co. D (Hardwick Mounted Rifles), enlisted in 1861. Served at Ft. McAllistar during two Federal amphibious actions against Savannah; transferred with five companies to ANV's Cavalry Corps in 1864, and fought with distinction at Trevilian Station. Took parole after surrendering with ANV at Appomattox. Returned to Georgia coast and died in his 80s.