American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 am 
All done! Finally...

5 of the 8 Armies are declining in games from 2009 - 2010. The AoG, AotM and AotT all played more than the previous year.

The most maneuvers played in a year was by the AoG in 2006 with 239.... yes.... 239. You veterans who were a part of that little gaming group are still around and may I mention you made adding the stats up a nightmare for that year :lol:

The most games in a year by the CSA was AotM in 2010 with 477. The lowest was by the ANV in 2010 with 175.

The most games in a year by the USA was the 357 by the AotS in 2008. The lowest was by the AotC in 2006 with 153.

Of the, roughly, 7,775 games played in the last six years nearly 2,000 were maneuvers with the CSA playing over 1,600 of those.

The MOST total games over the period for the Rebs was posted by the AoG who have played 2,083 games since 2005.

The MOST total games over the period for the Yanks was posted by the AotS who have played 1,735 games since 2005.

The most games played in a year was 1,432 in 2008.

How accurate are these numbers? Accurate enough! I dont plan on going back to double check for errors I know that much! I did not bother to change games incorrectly listed at the DoR since I figure every Army had an equal share of mislabeled games so they evened out. By mislabeled I mean a game being played as a Battle when it should be a Maneuver or such.

Below is the final graph for the numbers.

Some of you have already emailed to ask about getting a copy of the Excel sheet and I will send it right away. If anyone else would like a copy just let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm 

Quote:
I am not sure if former members stats will show up which might throw off the numbers some.

Stats from former members would not skew the results. All former members remain in the database and show on all the games they played.

Essentially, we make a retired, discharged, hospitalized members as NOT ACTIVE. They are not deleted from the database; in fact, there should not be any deletions of members for that reason.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:55 am 

Thank you Gen Strickler for your kind words.

According to our stated philosophy "the ACWGC was formed to play ACW computer games" and this is the prime reason why members join. Therefore a key measurement of our success as a Club is the number of games played. An increasing trend is good, a declining trend is worrying. The statistics of games played, membership trends (numbers increasing/declining) and recruitment/retention of new members are important numbers that in my opinion should be maintained accurately at major unit level (Army), nation (USA and CSA) and total Club. If we monitor these statistics monthly we are able over time to see whether we are delivering on our mandate to our members.

I think it is also appropriate to congratulate the Army of the Mississippi on the fine performance in games played 2010 versus 2009 (Blake if I understand your numbers quoted they are full year, i.e., 12 months 2009 vs 2010 (not 2011?)). Simplistically it is about 46% increase on total games played. That is a huge increase and a clear indication that AotM is doing something right. The AotM numbers reveal an increasingly active army in ACWGC. Congratulations to you Sir and the officers of the AotM.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 am 
Thank you very much, sir. Dont forget you were with us during 2010 as well! Yes the numbers from 2010 were only from that Calendar year. The 2011 stats are a bit lower than the average from January and February but our MP games are much higher so I think that may be a cause. I think I am in 5 MP games right now! I know Gator Alley has 4 ongoing as well.

I will have to look at the other Armies for comparison. It could be the AotM is actually far behind the other Armies for all I know. But an upward swing is definately what the goal for every Army is. I would be happy to hit the 400 game started again in 2011. 477 seems a bit high as thats more than one a day!

Tomorrow I will look over the AotM from 2007 - 2008 to give us more to go on for trends.

Ernie, when was the DoR first established? How far back can I go and still get a full calendar year's worth of numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 am 

I would also just like to salute the officers who originally designed and implemented the DoR and those who maintain it today. It is an absolutely fantastic resource to the Club.

Three cheers for the DoR administrators!

Hip hip hooray!!!!!
Hip hip hooray!!!!!
Hip hip hooray!!!!!

The ANV would be delighted if you would join us for drinks in your honour, Gentlemen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:55 am 

About 6 years ago, but Don included much of the previous years information. For instance, for the OBD he did as much as he could from the original sources and then had to make a lump sum adjustment for missing records. In my case, there was info for back to 2001, but not before.

Game records should be accurate back to 2001.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm 

May we take it from the dramatic increase in Maneuvers that you AotM boys are also playing with yourselves a lot more? :mrgreen: snicker snicker :mrgreen:

Just a fun'n ya, great work and well done!

1/3/III ANV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:59 pm 

Snicker :mrgreen: Snicker :mrgreen: as well

Sorry not very becoming for a General I know :shock:

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm 
Yes we play amongst ourselves often.

Gen. Miller wipe that smile off your face!

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 am 

This is an interesting and valuable exercise. I think the trends shown for these two armies are encouraging.
If we monitor this and the total number of active members we obtain a good indication of the health of the ACWGC.
Both these statistics should be reviewed monthly at Army, Theater, Nation and Cabinet level.