American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm 

Somewhile back, I cannot remember what game or opponent, I was absolutely stunned to see my boys deliver a horrendous casualty loss upon an opposing enemy stack in just one fire! On that occasion I believe that I had a mixed stack of artillery and infantry dishing out a combined ambush fire against a fairly large enemy stack, the number of casualties being 107! Of course and on occasion, I have also taken huge, one-fire losses from my enemy, but never anthing over a 60- to 65-man count. To produce such high casualty counts such as these the basic fire factors have to be high and the modifiers high as well.

Has anyone else ever experienced a single fire result over 100-men? How about 150-men?!!!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:21 pm 

I would think that having the optional fire results unchecked in the options dialog will increase the chances of the occasional extreme casualty results.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm 

I'm very surprised you haven't seen many large hits in your games. My record, which I must adnit I do not expect to see beaten, was a 256 loss inflicted by my stack in a phased play defensive fire phase.
Not sure which game it was on but it was only fairly recently. I seem to recall it was likely to have been a "B" quality 6 gun Battery of Napoleons with 3 Regiments of "A" or "B" quality Infantry for a full 1000 man stack (possibly 997 or 998 men).
That of course involved defensive fire by stack which I've always been unhappy with. I much preferred the older more long-winded fire by individual unit.
I never really thought to examine the figures involved that are necessary to produce the monster kills. There must be a theoretical limit to what can be achieved?
A personal quest is to try and get the 1000 man 14th Connecticutt Regiment on the Antietam games to blast something at adjacent hex range before losses and fatigue reduce it to uselessness!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 pm 

I received just over 100 men hit from Tom Brewster - a mixture of cannons and cav gave me the smack.

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:18 am 

Joe Meyer wrote:
Somewhile back, I cannot remember what game or opponent, I was absolutely stunned to see my boys deliver a horrendous casualty loss upon an opposing enemy stack in just one fire! On that occasion I believe that I had a mixed stack of artillery and infantry dishing out a combined ambush fire against a fairly large enemy stack, the number of casualties being 107! Of course and on occasion, I have also taken huge, one-fire losses from my enemy, but never anthing over a 60- to 65-man count. To produce such high casualty counts such as these the basic fire factors have to be high and the modifiers high as well.

Has anyone else ever experienced a single fire result over 100-men? How about 150-men?!!!

Yes, I think it was a shade over 300 (like 307 -give or take). This was a giving. However I should say that it was when I did a fire as a stack at a single unit, instead of parsing out fire to individual units.

I'll have to take a raincheck as to discussing specifics until some future date.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 pm 

Near as I can figure, a stack of 20 napoleons at range 1 (x15), firing at a stack of 1000 men in column (+40%) in a cut (+50%) with density modifier (+50%) could inflict a maximum of 720 casualties in a single fire (assuming a unit of that size was in the stack).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:14 pm 

Good Lord! I think that if I should ever take a hit like that, that I would be prone to go lay down somewhere and ask myself what I had done to deserve such punishment!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)