American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:53 pm 

Momma always told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say then it was best not to say anything at all. There has been many a time when I wished that I had paid attention to that. I can start now, I reckon.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am 

The History Channel's Gettysburg wasn't bad. They avoided a lot of problems by following individuals and some representive brigades although some of their choices weren't well thought out. A lot of factual errors but it still made a good show. Because of its focus on the individuals it didn't really shed any light on the actual battle.

Shaara's book, Killer Angels, and the resulting movie didn't do the battle justice. The movie was well done and the book a good story but it had little factual bases. Unfortunately, Shaara took the revisionist idea that Longstreet was some kind of futurist recognizing that war had changed when it hadn't. The result is a story that makes you wonder why Lee was leading anything but militia.

What would make a great movie would be one based on Bowden's and Ward's book, Last Chance for Victory, showing how the actions of the Lee and Meade's generals played out in the battle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:40 pm 

I was disappointed in the History Channel presentation, thought a lot of the scenes were filmed in a sort of a “steampunk” style. There were several oops moments, iron brigade men with crossed rifle insignia on their Hardee hats and cannon shell being rammed home with the worm tool to name a couple.

The animations explaining the operation of rifle muskets and artillery was good but for viewers that didn’t know much about the battle at Gettysburg the show did a poor job of putting the stories told into the context of the overall battle....one might have thought that on day two Barksdale advanced unsupported and that on day one A.P. Hill was no where to be found.

And what was the deal with a handsome Mead and a rough looking Lee :shock: ....revisionist history? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 pm 

A tip of the hat to General Kennon Whitehead . I will go buy the book. Thanks.

It is my firm belief that we should start a library recommendation list.

BG Elkin
commander 3rd Div/(2nd Cav) XVI Corps AotT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 am 

Not a bad idea. I wonder if we could get a separate forum for reviews. Start a single thread for each book with a base review and post by others who read it. If I remember right someone was already making some very detail reviews but they were posted on a different web site and just a copy over in M&D. Trouble with M&D they get quickly pushed off by new posts. We need a forum that isn't archived and only maintains a few threads, one for each book. Books like "Last Chance for Victory" came out some time ago, 2001, but I just got around to noticing it this year and reading it. Yet was probably the best analysis of how the Confederate high command operated ever published.