American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm 

Is the cannon fire modelled to show the effects of solid shot vs canister vs Case or Explosive shell? It would be great if we could choose the type of ammo(canister) before an enemy charge. For enemy in forested areas or emplaced positions we could use explosive shell, for long distance, the solid shot.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 pm 
The artillery is supposed to be modeled to reflect that the atrillerists are using the appropriate type of shot for the range if what I have read is true....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 pm 

I believe that Hank's right about the modeling, Drex! And from a designer's viewpoint there had to be one, general fire factor model for each type of artillery piece; otherwise the system would be too bulky for use. I've always found the artillery model to be satisfactory within the framework and environment of the game engine, and have always appreciated the gun type distinctions. You simply cannot beat those rifled Parrotts for engaging in counter battery fire, and the Napoleons, when properly deployed, can cause a great deal of destruction.

I think that you might be wondering why those rifled pieces do not deliver as much close-in devastation as the smoothbores under similar range conditions. And while rifles could and did employ cannister rounds, I seem to understand from all of my reading that the smoothbores could readily outblast them at the shorter ranges. But if you try to silence an enemy battery at anything over 6 to 7 hexes with a smoothbore, you'll probably run out of ammo before you do any appreciable damage other than fatiguing the enemy crew!

Then again, as the overall field commander, I wouldn't want to be running about selecting ammo, cutting fuses and sighting the guns. A few noted brigadiers and major generals on both sides got caught doing exactly that from time to time, as they just couldn't resist dismounting at a field battery and showing the boys how it was properly done on the fields of West Point! I recall reading that when Grant turned to Thomas at Knob Hill and asked who had ordered the Army of the Cumberland to ascend Mission Ridge, that Thomas looked in turn for Granger, the corps commander, who was at that moment busying himself with directing the next salvoe from the nearby battery! William B. Hazen and Jeff C. Davis were other such former artillerists who just couldn't refrain from pulling a lanyard or two when the situation offered.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm 

I don't think it would be onerous to choose the type of ammo if the desired effect could be reached. If we could have indirect fire, then howitzers could be used against infantry in the forest. the use of the proper ammo would necessitate the player learning about civil war cannon technique - not a bad thing to learn.
To add to your story about general officers getting into the artillerists role, Sherman's Memoirs recall that he gave the order to fire three volleys from a battery on a group of Rebel officers 800 yds away during the Kennesaw Mt battle. When told by Gen. Howard, 4th Corps Cmdr , that this was against Thomas' directive to conserve ammo, Gen. Sherman over-rode Thomas's order, citing it was to" keep up the morale of a bold offensive". The second volley fired killed General Polk on the Reb side.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:58 pm 

I agree that indirect fire might be more openly allowed by field artillery units, if the battery or sections were of the proper gun type! Howitzers come immediately to mind, as that is what their design best accommodated. And here the 12lb Napoleon begins to blur the line between a "gun" and a "howitzer!" But still, it would be an interesting element of the games if howitzers were allowed indirect fire and the ammunition allowances had to be considered!

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:24 am 

I suspect this is one of those added comlexities that would have almost no effect on the game. The ability to communicate target information, to reproduce the same fire, and to repeat the same fuse timing insured indirect fire was pretty much useless. Even with siege motars it wasn't that effective. With light howitzers it would be a waste of powder.