American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Campaign Atlanta!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 pm 

Just finished the 37 turn Rocky Face scenario and must say I'm disappointed with the A/I. Didn't think it'd be THAT weak.....hell, I was on the defensive as a confederate, but all the AI did was march down to the bottom of the map, and sit there the whole game taking potshots at my guys sitting in the fortifications, which led to a whole lot of No Effect! Oh, and it would send one unit at a time right up to my line and let it sit there till it was routed or eliminated..then it would send another one....

Well, after the bluebellies marched all their troops by, I ordered all the rebs out of the trenches and followed them down where I commenced a northern agressor beatdown. I needed 750 pts for a major and ended up with 5,000 pts.....

I quit with 3 turns left just because I got tired of marching around. :mrgreen:

Davis, R., Lt Gen.
VMI Class of 2011
3d Cavalry Brigade, 3d Division, III Corps
'Partisan Rangers'
Army Of Alabama
CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Campaign Atlanta!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am 
Actually, sir, this is a fairly good representation of the way many of the Yankee players in the Club maneuver their men. Alas, the A/I may be a larger challenge than most of their finest generals! Yankee generals are a bunch of pampered political types who love to wear fancy uniforms and design new marching boots for their men - some even have a glittery finish. Their tactics in battle often revolve around a singular drive towards our lines with heavy artillery close behind. I have been pinned against many creeks by the Yanks over the years. But I have always survived by simply side-stepping and watching the Blue hordes move like lemmings over the banks and drown.

For the best gaming experience stick with the A/I or play a fellow Rebel officer :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:42 am 

Beware of playing the AI. It good for familiarizing yourself with a scenario but it tells you nothing about balance and tends to develop bad habits that will get you destroyed in player games. My favorite AI tactic is the AI limbered artillery charge. Once you have seen one you just don't bother to play the AI any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm 

Did you play the #128 AI Challenge RFR Scenario or the standard one ? Rich Walker has placed several AI Challenge scenarios in most of his games. These normally have scripts for the AI to follow and having played around with the AI scripts with the editor I've found that these can work decently but setting one side to attack and the other to defend and letting the AI make it's own decisions just doesn't work well. This is often what is done for the larger scenarios. AI scripts can easily be written for short small scale actions but become rather difficult for larger, longer scenarios as once a command's objective is reached it will sit there unless it receives new orders so you have to write successive scripts, a time intensive process believe me as I have done it.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:29 pm 

Must have been the standard one.....Are the new scenarios already in the game?

By the way, I'm playing the same scenario as the union and the AI seems to be doing a much better job....

Still haven't seen the fabled limbered artillery charge, but I'm watching for it. :mrgreen:

Davis, R., Lt Gen.
VMI Class of 2011
3d Cavalry Brigade, 3d Division, III Corps
'Partisan Rangers'
Army Of Alabama
CSA