American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ZING!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:04 pm 

Gentlemen – further to my Hot Key thread elsewhere on this board . . . . . (Bear with Me please the Tale unfolding has a point and an interesting [discovery at the End). :wink:

This very morning – coming up to Lunchtime in the Carroll household, Sgt. Jack (8) was in a strop and arguing with the Empress of the Universe, (behind Me sitting at the Lap-Top), about what it was He would eat for Lunch. The E.o.U. laid it on fairly thickly regarding what He WOULD eat and what He would NOT be eating. In a rare show of petulance, the Li’ll Sgt. stomped his foot and flung what he had in his hand at the floor with all the strength he could muster!
IT was a ‘zing-zing’ ball – a ping-pong ball sized rubber ball which altho’ hitting a thickly carpeted floor, mustered enough ‘zing’ to barely clear my head, glance off my forehead from above, hit the screen, mash into 3-4 keys, back off the screen onto some more keys, roll (& press) a few more, hit my elbow and trundle across the floor and out into the Hall.

I turned and informed the Sgt, that he’d draw double-shift, picket duty for the rest of the month if He ever repeated his performance again and returned to my recon of a HPS Vicksburg scenario.
LO! I had just selected a Unit, before I was ‘zinged’. The Unit was still selected . . . BUT – in the Right-Clicked mode. So – instead of the Unit picture – I had their OOB on display AND the hex Terrain info. I goggled for a moment and selected a few other Units in succession – ALL the same display!!! It Was BRILLIANT for quickly assessing the Units relationship to the other Units nearby, their AC, CC etc . . . . . .
Disappointingly – when I selected an empty Hex . . . every Hex – empty or occupied – went back to the default display.

If the Designers. Play-Testers or Modders cannot invent a suitable Hot Key – or divulge to the ACWGC Membership what the :roll: ?existing? :roll: HotKey, Key combo or Code . . . . . .

I’ll be FORCED to insist that Sgt. Jack ‘zings’ me on a regular basis when I am on a Recon!!!!!

The Empress of the Universe will NOT be pleased and She is an Awesomely Vengeful Creature!! :shock:

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT . . . . . . PURLLLLLLLLLLlllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzze! :mrgreen:
Pat.

AoG

Last edited by eireb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: ZING!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 pm 

I think I got it figured out. Use your left mouse button in the unit info box to select the unit. While continuing to hold the left mouse button, click the right mouse button and then simultaneously press the space bar and release all. Just click OK to remove the Selection Dialog box. The detailed info will retain itself as if right clicking. So, to summarize, left click (hold) - right-click (hold) - spacebar then release. It keeps the info box the same (in OOB mode) until you right-click it again which switches it back to the picture image.

Now you don't have to subject you PC to rebounding rubber balls. That can void your warranty... :lol:

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:13 pm 

General Gross Suh! <SALUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

Dirk - You are a Gentleman, A Scholar and a Genius! :idea: :shock:

Your 'procedure' works . . . . .EVERY Time. Not only for Hexes containing A Unit - but also for the Terrain in empty hexes.

I sincerely request that the Gods of Gaming, the Genies of Computer Code and the Fates conspire one day to place us both in the same room , whereupon I will present You with a Schooner of Your favourite Beer or another LARGE tipple of Your choice. :mrgreen:

To say 'Thank You' . . . would be the greatest understatement I could ever manage . . . in a long career of overblown Hyperbole . . . . . BUT . . . genuinely . . . .

Thank You Dirk.

Pat. :mrgreen:

(P.S. - by pressing Z on the keyboard after performing Dirk's procedure - eliminating the need for continuous Right-Clicking . . . . . Ye can trace the bank of a Creek with your mouse pointer and the Terrain will display for each Hex in it's Turn - which ALSO eliminates the continuous LEFT CLICKING. . . . . most Excellent DUDES!!!) :lol:

AoG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:27 pm 

You still won't find a hidden crossing across the Chickamauga :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:35 pm 

I ain't looking there Drex! :lol:

Working on that long-lost Chicky Turn right now . . . be with Ye within the Hour. (-ish :wink: )

AoG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:51 pm 

That "z" key mod is a nice bonus for the shortcut. I'm still searching for the ultimate key combo that gives instant victory...

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:18 pm 

Ah Yayus!

The 'Atomic Bomb' key-combo . . . I don't think that option comes into this Era's games . . . p'raps the later War(s)?

Then again p'raps there's a key-combo for Dyptheria or Mumps or Measles? :lol:

All very lethal during the ACW - I seem to recall?

Pat.

AoG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 pm 

and working on our turn I hope... with your new info device turned to your advantage...

"That's damn ungenerous! I shall take those guns for that!"

-General Phil Sheridan