American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Gentlemen.

In the ponderance of Stategy for a Scenario I've never played before, recon has been a pain. Why? Miles and miles of Creek hexes - each one left-clicked upon to make it the Hotspot, then right-clicked to examine whether the creek is fordable at that particular point/hex.

I am now on the verge of a repetitive strain injury to my wrist from scrolling the mouse from the map to the info box per each hex and then back again. :(

It struck Me that it would be most convenient and a lot less strain/effort if I could select the hotspot and hit/hold a key on the keyboard to display the terrain info therein.

a) Would this be a function that could be hard-wired into the Game Engine code?
b) Would this be a function that would of necessity need to 'go through' the Game Engine code?
c) Could I assign a particular Key on my own computer regardless of the Game Engine? (e.g. the 'F10' Button OR p'raps 'i' for info)??
d) Is this idea possible at all?
e) Does this function already exist already - and if so - where the HAYULL is it?

All/any answers/suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Now . . . . where's that ice-pack gotten to? :lol:

Thankee Boys,
Pat.

AoG

Last edited by eireb on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:08 am 

I think I know but I forgot it!!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 pm 

I'm puzzled at the nature of the problem itself. Are you unable to gain adequate info from the map display in 2D?

What view are you using for planning? I know that creeks can be unclear in 3D but I've never known of any planning and recce problem with regard to creek crossings specifically.

It wouldn't be too much of a task to add a Ford marker to the relevant file in the Map folder ...at least for the 2D view(s) anyway, if that would help?

I've just had a look through my various games but I'm damned if I can find a Map with a Ford on it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:33 pm 

Jim:
- It's not a problem per se rather the exhaustive nature of examining each and every hex along a creek to find (if are there any) hexes where the creek can be crossed. Fords can be and mostly are marked on the maps and displayed when the shift key is held down. However, NOT all will display using this method. When the presence of an uncrossable length of creek is vital to strategy, I trace the length of the creek seeking out 'hidden' hexes where in 2 and 3D, one side of a hex appears to be crek - but in fact is a stream and thus crossable. In order to do this - one has to select each hex and then right click (and hold) the info box. When the stretch of creek is a lengthy one . . . that can become a marathon of back 'n' forth motion with the mouse - hence my sore wrist and my suggestion for a Hotkey. :lol:

Drex:
- Thanks my Friend for your reply . . . . . as useful as those rubber Yankee tin-openers Y'all are issued with . . . so as Y'all don't hurt Yuhselves! :mrgreen:

Pat.

AoG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm 
I usually just Max Zoom Out in 2D mode to look for creek crossings. I figure if they are hidden crossings than hopefully my opponent wont find them either, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 pm 

that's the easiest way and Pat, I've already looked at them all and there are no hidden crossings like at Antietam. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 am 

You're telling me that the creek hexside appears on the map display as a creek (dark blue) ...but when you right-click on the adjacent hex to check it is actually a stream?! :shock:

That will be a new one on me if so. I've never noticed that before in any of the HPS games.

Accident ...or a deliberate error placed as an "Easter Egg"?

Could someone e-mail me ...in utmost secrecy ...the location of one of these mysterious pooka's so I can go see for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 am 

Its dijficult on some maps to differentiate the dark from the light blue in 2D, especially going through forested areas.