American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Medal of Honor Question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm 
Random Question:
I was watching NCIS (great show) about a former US Marine who has won the MOH on Iwo Jima. When the medal was displayed around his neck passing Marines snapped to attention to salute. Is this the proper etiquette for all the Armed Forces? Or was this a bit of 'Hollywood?'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:03 pm 

Target1221 wrote:
Random Question:
I was watching NCIS (great show) about a former US Marine who has won the MOH on Iwo Jima. When the medal was displayed around his neck passing Marines snapped to attention to salute. Is this the proper etiquette for all the Armed Forces? Or was this a bit of 'Hollywood?'

Not at all. It was "common" knowledge during my 20 year career, that the MOH holder deserved a salute, regardless of rank or status (retired, etc). I remember seeing only a few people with the MOH and had the pleasure of meeting a couple.

From WIKI:"Saluting, although not required by law or military regulation, members of the uniformed services are encouraged to render salutes to recipients of the Medal of Honor as a matter of respect and courtesy regardless of rank or status.

Now an old "war story": Back in 1970 or 1971, I was in charge of preparations for the annual Marine Corps Ball held on November 10th of each year. I was stationed at Headquarters Marine Corps, Arlington, VA and was preparing for the enlisted gala. It was traditional to ask some branch of Headquarters for a Guest of Honor, but I was not always traditional, so I wrote to retired General Chesty Puller (He was not a MOH winner, but highly decorated and regarded) and asked if he would be the Guest of Honor. Sadly, I received a letter back from his wife that Gen Puller was not up to the task, but was very honored to be asked. (I do not know if I still have that letter, also sadly). Chesty Puller died in October 1971.

So, I went through the proper channels and a MOH winner was assigned to be our guest of honor. I don't remember the persons name, but he was either a Korean War or Vietnam War holder.

Anyway, that is my convoluted answer to your question.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:51 pm 

Here is the wikipedia entry for Chesty Puller. He never won the MOH but he did win five Navy Crosses and a DSC, the second highest award (DSC from the army).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller

Profile Send private message