American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 pm 

For gritty, my money is on Ulzana's Raid, starring Burt Lancaster. I think it was a '72 movie.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" with Eastwood, Wallach, van Cleef...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060196/quotes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:36 pm 
"The Rebel: Johnny Yuma" Theme Song by Johnny Cash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzbmPARO9k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:15 pm 

Who is rjh57? Don't mind the posts at all but would like to see a club signature identifying your club self. We could have Zorro, Batman, Superman, or more importantly Batwoman among us (but would she be a Yank or a Reb?).

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 am 

There is another great western."The Unforgiven" -not the one by Eastwood although that is now a classic, but the one with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn. My only criticism of Eastwood's film is that it stole the title of a classic,original western and in the process, buried it into oblivion. They should copyright movie tiltles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 am 

There was a 1950s B movie set in West Texas during the Great Rebellion. One of the stars was Ronald Reagan. The plot was far fetched - gallant Rebels helping Federal troops defend a town against hostile Native Americans who had been incited by the CS Sec War to go raiding. There were also some comic interchanges over who signed the after action report
Not the worst Western/ACW ever made, but could be a contender

Ian Miller
Lt Gen USV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 pm 

Drex wrote:
There is another great western."The Unforgiven" -not the one by Eastwood although that is now a classic, but the one with Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn. My only criticism of Eastwood's film is that it stole the title of a classic,original western and in the process, buried it into oblivion. They should copyright movie tiltles.

That was a damn good movie!

Union Military Academy Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:04 pm 
nsimms wrote:
Who is rjh57? Don't mind the posts at all but would like to see a club signature identifying your club self. We could have Zorro, Batman, Superman, or more importantly Batwoman among us (but would she be a Yank or a Reb?).

I know I had a signature at one time, not sure how it got lost. :( I would think my avatar picture indicates where my loyalties lie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 pm 
rjh57 wrote:
I know I had a signature at one time, not sure how it got lost. :( I would think my avatar picture indicates where my loyalties lie.

The Union still has an XI Corps? Last we saw them they were waving white flags and running for the rear. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:13 pm 
"Splendid Gallantry: The Union Army XI Corps" by Richard Haviland; Blamed for all that went wrong at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, the fault lies elsewhere. The reports of battlefield cowardice were nothing more than a cover-up by incompetent leaders Howard & Barlow and since then perpetuated by this country's anti-German sentiments.

http://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Gallantr ... 291&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:19 pm 
I will have to read it someday! Or at least more on Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. My area of expertise is the Western Theater. Which is really depressing for a Confederate to read about. I guess I just am a glutton for pain. Hence my love of the Cubs!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm 

rjh57 wrote:
"Splendid Gallantry: The Union Army XI Corps" by Richard Haviland; Blamed for all that went wrong at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, the fault lies elsewhere. The reports of battlefield cowardice were nothing more than a cover-up by incompetent leaders Howard & Barlow and since then perpetuated by this country's anti-German sentiments.

http://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Gallantr ... 291&sr=1-1

I.too, have read that the men of XI Corps were as good as any other. It was their poor leadership that betrayed them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm 
Much like the Army of Tennessee!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm 
XI Corps Commander "Uh-Oh" Howard was a devout evangelical who did not approve of alcohol consumption. Germans love their beer and traditionally on Sundays congregate in beer gardens for comraderie and "gemutlichkeit". Drinking on the Sabbath by the predominantly Catholic Germans horrified teetotaler "Uh-Oh" Howard . 'Nuff said. Francis Barlow was a New England blue-blood petty tyrant. Rather than carrying the Army-issued officer sword, he wore a heavy enlisted man's cavalry saber, which he used to whack the backsides of troops. After assuming command of the XI Corps' 1st Division, he promptly arrested Leopold von Gilsa who had organized the De Kalb Regiment, an all-German unit, which became the 41st New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, for allowing more than one man at a time to leave the column to get water. What an idiot! On the first day of Gettysburg, Barlow allowed Jubal Early to outflank him. XI Corps casualty figures from Chancelorsville and Gettysburg clearly indicate that the XI Corps Germans fought and died bravely despite being at a tactical disadvantage. The unjust accusations against XI Corps were largely due to the political xenophobia of the virulent anti-Catholic Nativist "Know Nothing" political party and its' adherents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_von_Gilsa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:03 pm 

So who did run away from Jackson at Chancellorsville?
In support of your case for 11 Corps, most authors agree that they did much better in the West (under new leadership). (This has been advanced as an argument that the Western armies were inferior to those in the East). Howard tried to blame Doubleday and I Corps for the rout of XI corps on July 1, and he certainly messed up again at Picketts Mill.

Was there a Western made about any of this? I missed it

Ian Miller
Lt Gen USV
3/XVI

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next