American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 pm 
imiller wrote:

Was there a Western made about any of this? I missed it

I believe the one on the left served with Schimmelfennig.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 am 

imiller wrote:
So who did run away from Jackson at Chancellorsville?
In support of your case for 11 Corps, most authors agree that they did much better in the West (under new leadership). (This has been advanced as an argument that the Western armies were inferior to those in the East). Howard tried to blame Doubleday and I Corps for the rout of XI corps on July 1, and he certainly messed up again at Picketts Mill.

Was there a Western made about any of this? I missed it

Ian Miller
Lt Gen USV
3/XVI

Actually there is a western out there that has Howard portrayed. It dealt with the Nez Perce War in which he was successful although Chief Joseph accused Howard of starting the war. Howard was more successful after the war it seems. Besides fighting indians, he was Superintendent of West Point, a major figure in the Reconstruction and was one of the founders of Howard University. Not bad for a lousy commander.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm 
Drex wrote:
Quote:
Actually there is a western out there that has Howard portrayed. It dealt with the Nez Perce War in which he was successful although Chief Joseph accused Howard of starting the war. Howard was more successful after the war it seems. Besides fighting indians, he was Superintendent of West Point, a major figure in the Reconstruction and was one of the founders of Howard University. Not bad for a lousy commander.

Howard had anticipated that his soldiers "will make short work of it." But instead, a small number of Nez Perce fighters, probably fewer than 200, defeated or held off larger forces of the U.S. Army in several battles. The Nez Perce - 250 warriors and 500 women and children - engaged 2,000 American soldiers of different military units, as well as their Indian auxiliaries. They fought eighteen engagements, including four major battles and at least four fiercely contested skirmishes. After a remarkable fighting retreat of roughly 1,170 miles, the Nez Perc had shaken off Howard and their pursuers, but they were unaware that Brigadier General Nelson A. Miles in command of the newly created District of the Yellowstone had been dispatched from the Tongue River Cantonment to find and intercept them. The Lamátta band of Nez Perce managed to elude the Army after the final battle and escape with an undetemined number to Sitting Bull's camp in Canada. The 418 Nez Perce who surrendered, including women and children, were taken prisoner and sent by train to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. I don't think Napoleon or Alexander the Great have to worry about being eclipsed by Howard. Hopefully he was a better school administrator than battlefield commander. :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nez_Perce_War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:37 pm 

Yes, Howard got the credit for others work. Even after Gettysburg, though, Howard became an Army Commander and was chosen by Sherman in his Atlanta Campaign. There must have been something there that we can't see.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:40 pm 

Seniority? He was chosen Army Commander (of the AotT)over John Logan, who was not a career soldier. (ring knockers rule?) I believe he was less than a month senior to Logan as a Major General, but even one day counts. Howard had after all been commanding a Corps (even with mishaps) while Logan was still commanding a division.

Ian Miller
3/XVI AotT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 am 
Drex wrote:
Yes, Howard got the credit for others work. Even after Gettysburg, though, Howard became an Army Commander and was chosen by Sherman in his Atlanta Campaign. There must have been something there that we can't see.

There is no denying that as corps commander in the AotP he was largely responsible for the two humiliating defeats of the XI Corps at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. But he recovered from these setbacks while posted in the Western Theater, and served there successfully as a corps and army commander. I think he learned and improved as the war went on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 am 
I am really surprised no one has mentioned 'Duel at Diablo' or 'Cheyenne Autumn'. Both are worthy of being included in the Pantheon of Best Westerns (the movies, not the motels).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 pm 

SHANE!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 am 

Don't know if this is the "best" western ever made, but it is definately my favorite. Many a night in college coming home from the bars would I fire this one up when winding down on the couch. (yup, I never was very good at getting the ladies home)

TOMBSTONE!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm 

I am going to anger a lot of poeple when I say that I cannot stand Eastwood's "Unforgiven". It is a great example of wonderful performances by all the actors in service of a less-than-worthy story to go with them. Saul Rubinek, Gene Hackman (alwasy worth watching), Richard Harris and Frances Fisher are especially good.

I have seen this movie twice and just cannot see what people like about it. Of course, I feel the same way about "2001" and "Citizen Kane". Kane" is beautiful to look at from a film making point of view and Welles was obviously a genius, but the story? Meh!

As for best western:

5) Hour of The Gun (James Garner is my favoirte actor.)
4) Red River (The Searchers is very good, but I think Wayne gave a better performance in this movie)
3) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (Stewart and Wayne together, now if they could only have found a role for Fonda*)
2) The Professionals (Marvin, Lancaster, Strode, Ryan)
1) Once Upon A Time In The West (Much better than the Man WIth No Name trilogy.

* - I'm sure that everyone knows that McMurty originally wrote "Lonsesome Dove" to star Wayne, Stewart and Fonda.

Honorable Mention: Support Your Local Sheriff, Rustler's Rhapsody and Blazing Saddles.

Cadet Kenneth Crist

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:49 pm 

Cadet Crist <salute>

Suh, my compliments! Welcome to the ACWGC, and I look forward to your graduation and being commissioned to join the Yankee forces in pursuit of their futile mission.

I suppose everyone can argue the merits of their favorite Westerns, but "Blazing Saddles"? That's like saying "History of the World Part I" is a historical documentary, or "The Longest Yard" is the best football movie ever.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm 

My film professor taught me that Westerns, like all genres, have certain themes that make them part of the genre. Films that spoof genres tend to use those themes and if they use enough of them, depending on how they are treated, my become a part of the genre they are spoofing.

Does this apply to "Blazing Saddles", probably not, but I enjoy it because it has Gene Wilder and Harvey Korman.

However, "Support Your Local Sheriff", while a comedy, is definitely a Western.

Cadet Kenneth Crist, USMA

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm 

Cadet Crist <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

I'd quote my film professor, however I don't seem to have had one. I don't need to pay tuition to have what I do or don't like explained to me :wink:

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 pm 

I think Eastwoood's "Unforgiven" like Lancaster's "Unforgiven" is good because it has an original western theme that can be enjoyed over and over. Most westerns I can only see once but these two are worth seeing again and again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 pm 

General Ringbloom <salute>

Suh, my compliments!

I haven't seen Lancaster's "Unforgiven", however will keep it in mind to view.

Highest regards,

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next