American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Volunteering in the Club
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 am 
Gentlemen of the ACWGC,

We are really part of a great Club here. I want you all to know that. Not only are we lucky to have such wonderful games but there are many people here who we are blessed to know. I can come to this forum and have the real honor to speak to veterans from every branch of the military from both our nation and others around the world. I can go through the Club roster and find people from every walk of life who all meet here to enjoy a pleasant distraction from the day-to-day monotony of the real world. This is a fun Club to be a part of and I think we are all lucky to be here. For that we have to thank many Club Members, past and present, who have donated their time and knowledge to make all this possible. They are too many to name and I am sure all of us can think of a whole list of people who have made our Club experience a positive one.

My own story revolves around Waylon Hughes. Waylon was the VMI Commandant when I joined the Club in early 2010. He took the time to call me at home and help me learn how to use PBEM like a pro. We talked for about two hours until I got the hang of it and we played a quick scenario against one another. Based on that experience I knew I had found a place where others enjoyed these games as much as I did and where the people were really friendly and helpful.

After I graduated VMI I quickly ended up in the position of Chief of Staff for the AotM. Within a very short time I ended up actually trying to run an Army cold turkey! It was rough at first but I quickly learned the ropes and I have had a blast ever since. The more of my time I put into the Club the more I took away. I was able to meet many more people than I otherwise would have if I had not been in a leadership position in the Club. Many of these people have become good friends of mine and people I correspond with on a regular basis.

Very often the idea of volunteering for a leadership role in your Army can be a difficult one. You never know if you will have enough time or if its something you really want to do. The best way to really enjoy everything the Club has to offer is to spend some time in a leadership position. It can give you a wholly new perspective on the Club and those in it.

Every commander expects different things from those who serve under them. Each Army is a little different from another so if volunteering is something you are interested in be sure to talk to your Army Commander about what his expectations are. Very often it is as simple as acting as a motivator to those who serve directly beneath you.

As the Club nears its 15th Birthday we are still going strong. Many of those who helped make us what we are today are no longer with us. They have passed the torch to us and it is up to us to keep this great Club going. We must all try to do a little something whenever we can to keep the Club a fun place to be. If you think you would like to ever volunteer for any open position be sure to contact your Army Commander about further details. As an Army Commander myself I know we all love to have people ask us how they can help improve the Club. Everyone, working together, can keep this Club going strong for another 15 years!

I posted my short story about Waylon here. If anyone has a similiar story they'd like to share about someone who has made their Club experience better please do so. Hopefully they can serve as further examples of how a single person can help make this Club a better place by their positive actions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:47 pm 

Gentlemen <salute>

Although a member for a bit longer than Blake, I'm a newbie with roughly 2 1/2 years as a member. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with the club, enough so that I volunteered to serve as a division commander. Commanding "Gator Alley" has allowed me to meet online what are now dear friends to me. I did have the pleasure of meeting one of my brigade commanders in person about two months ago (Chris Newcomb), who was on a cross-country motorcycle tour of the country after his graduation from the Virginia Military Institute.

Early influences would be Nick Kunz, John Newton, and Roger Hulinsky. Nick for allowing me to implement an idea I had that is now the "Lieutenant's Cup", John for his never-ending pursuit to see that the VMI Staff was as current as possible with everything in the way of spreadsheets, and Roger for his support when I was a new division commander. Roger retired about 1 1/2 years ago, and is missed. Nick and John I haven't communicated with in some time, and now that I think about it am sorry for this. All are great gentlemen! John and Nick should have shrines erected in their honor lol.

Basically, the ACWGC has been a blast! I don't have the time availabe as before, however nothing is more exciting than seeing a battle file in my inbox. I wouldn't trade a minute of the last 2 1/2 years, except for maybe a couple of embarrassing defeats lol.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 am 

Gentlemen,

All I can add is "Go for it!"

You may end up out of your depth, confused and wondering what to do. Don't worry, there are many members who have been there before and who will help you. It's not that we've given up. It's that we want to make room for you to join in and grow.

But you must ask for help. Ask your division, corps, army commanders. They will help. That's what they are there for. If you don't ask, it will not happen!

Good luck!

Regards

Army of the Potomac.
http://campcromwell.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message