American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eisenhower on Lee
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 am 

I saw this on another board and thought it was worth posting:

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War Between the States the issue of Secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his belief in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee's calibre would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the nation's wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained .

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

> "Gator Alley"

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler !!!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Eisenhower on Lee
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:21 am 
Maj Webb,
What a wonderful posting, although I can imagine why some might wonder why Gen Eisehower might display the picture of the leader of the Confederacy, but his qualities as an American, devotion to duty, piety, conviction to duty and cause left nothing to be wanting, he gave his all, with brilliant leadership (yes, some may dispute, but give the great man his due) just as many Union officers were equally
as outstanding and deserve their due. War is the most terrible thing in the world, but it does bring out greatness, as few other professions
require as much sacrifice (notice I said few, I would never slight our firemen, policemen, doctors, EMT's, nurses, and all the others that day to day show courage and selfless service--CIA, Secret Service, we can go on and on, that is why this is the greatest nation on earth, we take care of our own).
And for the many who advocate that 9/11 was a conspiracy executed by the Federal Government, I truly hope you get the help you need, and required hospitalization and therapy required and are not allowed to hurt yourselves or other people.
(I.E. Yahoo forums) wow, the X-Files some people's creed, but would even leave the "Cancer Man" busting a gut.
I know most of these postings are made just to get a reaction, but the scary thing is some people with aluminum cone hats actually
believe this stuff. I am glad the aluminum foil is blocking the CIA surviellance of most of these conspiracy theorists, as I shudder
to think what else is going on in their heads. There are some sick puppies out there, including our own (Americans), I hate to be paranoid, but the killing of the National Guardsmen here recently in a random shooting, and the loss of our 12th KIA in our brigade in the first month of deployment (3 to Irag, 3rd current to Afghanistan) has me stunned, I retired in December at 53 and now sorry as hell I did.
Stay the course otherwise their sacrifices are only meaningful to their families and comarades in arms, I take that back, their sacrifices will always be honored, still writing in anger at conspiracy theorists. War is a battle of wills, don't tell me we don't have the guts and will.
Excuse my emotions, I will refrain from reading nut jobs on Yahoo forums and stick to our game forums.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:32 pm 

Don't forget that Robert E. Lee served the Union much longer than the CSA and when the war was over, he helped with the reconciliation unlike others who fled the country. Perhaps that was what Ike was thinking of.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:07 pm 

One of the best books I've read is April 1865 by Jay Winik.

He puts forth that the man who saved the Union was not Lincoln but rather Lee.

Of course Lee was revered almost as a god in the south. When the end became obvious, Davis and others had urged him to have the ANV to break up into small groups and head toward the Great Smokies. A considerable number of men would certainly have made it. Suredly enough that the fighting would have gone on for years in that remote wilderness. Maybe still going on today, becoming our own American Basque problem if you will. Perfect place to hide, very rough country, a supportive civilian population and motivated fighters. All the ingredients are there.

Grant and Lincoln where acutely aware of this so maybe that was the seed that made for the lenient surrender terms.

Lee could easily have ordered taking the fight to the hills and it must have been tempting but no, he alone decided his army would go home and resume being productive Americans, fortunately for everybody.

Doug Burke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:03 pm 

One of my favorite books-However, I felt that the book also included Grant's human treatment of the defeated rebel army as a cause. It does certainly praise the southern General for not taking to the hills as some of his top officers suggested.

MG Elkin
3rd Div (2nd CAV) XVIth Corps AotT