American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Legion of Merit Award
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 pm 
Gentlemen of the ACWGC,

The ACWGC Cabinet has voted unanimously to award Gen. Matt Perrenod the Club's highest honor - the Legion of Merit. This is a seldom awarded honor and one that is reserved for those held in the highest esteem by their fellow Members. The Cabinet was only too happy to award this to Gen. Perrenod for his long service record within the ACWGC.

The Cabinet wishes Matt the very best as he retires to civilian life. His loss will be felt Club-wide.

Union CoA Gen. Joe Meyer has requested the honor to deliver the Award to Gen. Perrenod personally. The floor is his...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 pm 

(This is a copy of the posting made this date within the Parade Ground & Mess Tent of the Union Army HQ Forum.)

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
ATTENTION TO PARADE!

UMA CHANGE OF COMMAND ANNOUNCEMENT

Effective this date, General Matt Perrenod, Superintendent of the ACWGC Union Military Academy, is relieved of his duties at his own request, being replaced by General David Danner, AotC. Concurrently, Colonel Don Centers, AotS, has been appointed as the new Assistant Superintendent, and Brigadier General Mark van der Hagen, AotC, retains his position at the Academy as Commandant of Cadets.

General Perrenod has also indicated his desire to resign from all active duty within the ACWGC, citing personal and private business priorities. In accordance with Club Rule 2.6.3, his request has been officially granted, his name has been transferred to the rolls of the Honorably Retired.

GENERAL PERRENOD’S HISTORY

General Matt Perrenod, 159th member of the American Civil War Game Club, leaves the Club today with an active duty record that stretches back to June of 2001, fully ten and a quarter years! During that time he has accumulated what can only be described as one of the most successful game records ever posted by an ACWGC Union officer; 65 – 20 – 29 – 5 – 7. His OBD Point total stands at 2,636, making him the 10th ranking “Top Gun” within the Union Army officer corps.

General Perrenod was assigned to the Union Field Army of the Shenandoah. Within a very short time he had volunteered his time to become the Assistant Commandant of the Union War College (now Union Army Library), maintaining that post from April, 2002 through June, 2003. During that time he was, himself, a frequent contributor of articles to both the Schools of Tactical Doctrine and Operational Planning. His article on BGC, Scenario #10h, “Chickamauga,” in the later school, is a classical account of the Union defensive capabilities, expectations and personal stamina. That article led to his excellent Strategy Guide to BGC, Scenario # 10a, “Chickamauga,” which earned him the War College Prize III in 2003. So also of particular note is his general article in the former school, Battlefield Intelligence Methods for Battleground ACW Games.

The record shows that General Perrenod took effective and enduring command of the VIII Corps sometime between June of 2004 and July of 2005, a position he kept until March of 2007. That next month he became the Superintendent of the Union Military Academy, the position he has so expertly held up until this time.

As one would expect, General Perrenod is a very highly decorated officer, holding the Union Army’s Medal of Honor, the Outstanding Service Medal (twice awarded), the Distinguished Service Medal, and is a two-time winner of the Sheridan Combat Medal. He holds nine campaign ribbons, twenty-eight battlefield ribbons, five FMV’s, and six different tournament ribbons.

DUAL CITATION FOR UNION ARMY MEDAL OF HONOR
AND OUTSTANDING SERVICE MEDAL
GENERAL MATT PERRENOD

ImageImage

For his consistent, efficient and very committed leadership and superintendency of the Union Military Academy, General Matt Perrenod is presented with the ACWGC Union Army’s Medal of Honor, his second such award, and the Union Army’s Outstanding Service Medal, his third such award! General Perrenod has served as the Superintendent of the UMA for a period of nearly four and a half years, assuming the position in March of 2007, bringing a constancy and dependability of operation to that establishment which has very earnestly and directly supported the viability of the Union Army organization. When a commander handles his responsibilities so well over such a period of time as to create a complete confidence and an almost unthinking sense of security in those associated with the endeavor, he has reached a plateau of achievement that only the most competent are capable. Time after time General Perrenod artfully and effectively screened and shepherded the applicants to the ACWGC Union Army into their roles as UMA cadets, matching them with a staff of volunteer instructors with whom he maintained a sense of quality direction and expectation. Such dedication and performance resulted in the graduation of officers who were not only grounded within the basic elements of game play, but who were knowledgeable of the operating conventions of the ACWGC and Union Army. In the process of his direction of the UMA, General Perrenod developed a very comprehensive and concise bundle of e-mail instruments and training guides, which have fully and very completely documented the operation of that institution and which will serve for a long while to come. General Perrenod’s tenure as the Superintendent of the Union Military Academy must hereafter serve as a standard and model for all who may occupy that post after him. In most respects the ACWGC Union Army can never make full recognition of the services provided by this very intelligent and honorable officer on this, the occasion of his retirement from active service in the Club. But it is hoped that the uniqueness of this dual award ceremony will provide at least some poor measure of the special gratitude and thanks that is owed him.

On behalf of President Strickler and the ACWGC Cabinet it is also my distinct honor to present General Perrenod with the ACWGC Legion of Merit.

CITATION FOR ACWGC LEGION OF MERIT

General Matt Perrenod's experience, constancy and honorably prompt performance in his duties as the UMA Superintendent greatly benefited not only the ACWGC Union Army, but the club as a whole in that these same traits and expertise materially added to the overall roster and membership.

OFFICERS OF THE ACWGC UNION ARMY,
Present, ARMS!
Order, ARMS!
Parade, DISMISSED!

Please join me for celebratory drinks and wishes to General Perrenod at your own convenience.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:32 pm 
Gen Perronod,
Although an officer of the oppositie side, I congratulate you on your service to the club, and well earned retirement and your well deserved medal. The club has, does, and will rely on officers of your caliber to keep the club going and make it what it is, a fun and enjoyable hobby for both sides,
Salute Suh, well done, the best to you and your retirement. Worthy opponents make this club what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:17 am 

Thank you for your contribution to the ACWGC. The Army of Northern Virginia wishes you well in your retirement and we hope to one day see you back on the battlefield in an attempt to improve your stats (from a CSA point of view of course!). In any event as we say in South Africa "hamba kahle" ("go well" in Zulu) Sir & good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 am 

Congratulations General Perrenod. You thoroughly deserve this award 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 pm 

Matt, our heartfelt thanks to you for the time and effort that you have put into this club. The positions of Commandant and Instructor usually give every new member their first impressions of the club. It takes a special kind of person to handle it correctly and you are special. Hopefully, you will miss these ACW games and the people and will return from retirement in the near or distant future. You will be welcome any time.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 am 

<SALUTE>

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 am 

Very well deserved. Congrats! <Salute>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 am 

Congratulations General Perrenod.

<SALUTE>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:10 pm 

Suh <salute>

All the best to you in retirement, and congratulations on the well-earned recognition.

CSA Cabinet Secretary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:36 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
General Perrenod Sir! <salute>

Matt, it has been my privilege and pleasure to not only game against you ( and get my butt whupped!) but to have shared like responsibilities of our service training facilities. You have always been most accommodating to any of my requests and have always shared the monthly reports of your command.

I will miss you as will the entire Club as you have always been a first rate gamer and gentleman!

All the very best in whatever you continue to do!

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant, VMI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:47 am 

Gentlemen, I apologize for my tardiness in thanking you for this recognition. I had not recognized the topic title. (What, me, the Legion of Merit?)

After more than 10 years in the club, I can say it's been a rewarding experience. I'm glad to have been part of the efforts to maintain an organization designed to facilitate and enhance the gaming experience of its members. Prior to joining, I'd seen, through the failures of others, just how hard that is to do.

There are too many to mention here, but I want to acknowledge the hard work of those who came before me in creating the club, those who worked alongside me in critical governance, administrative and other leadership roles, and, I hope, the many who will come behind. I've got to invest more time in other parts of my life right now (this crisis waits for no one), but I wish you all the best in continuing this fine institution.

Superintendent, Union Military Academy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:45 pm