American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gettysburg Fields?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:15 pm 

I sat watching an opponents replay on Gettysburg recently and I puzzled over the fact that the classic HPS Getty map features hardly any Field map hexes. In fact the only fields I can find are the famous "Wheatfield" triangle of 6 hexes in the hisorical location known to, I assume, every one of us.

That's just 6 out of over 117,000 hexes! ...or something like 750 square miles.

Now Fields have no effect on LoS in-game but they do have a -10% modifier on fire results. Not a huge amount but maybe enough to make a certain position slightly more attractive for defensive purposes amidst what is fairly open for large expanses. I just wondered if the terrain of the period has been faithfully re-created for our purposes and how significant a difference would result in a greater number of Fields being present?

I see the map features a large number of Orchards but I thought to find lots more fields of standing crops. Especially in the June / July time of year. I'd just be interested to know how the designers went about determining the map features.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Gettysburg Fields?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 pm 

Hi,

When I was growing up in Pennsylvania, the farmers had a saying about corn; "knee high by the 4th of July." Knee high corn would provide zero protection. Corn in September, however, would provide concealment, as it would be five or six feet high.

I didn't know they even grew wheat in Pennsylvania except for that wheatfield at Gettysburg. I don't recall any in northeast Pa.

But ultimately the designer, Doug Strickler, will have to enlighten you, as only he can say why the terrain is what it is.

I take issue with a lot of decisions Doug made, but they deal mostly with troop and leader quality and small arms supply. I never noticed the lack of fields before. Very perceptive of you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm 
I don't recall seeing any pictures of after the battle that show a fully grown wheat or corn field in the battle field, or reading any account where it is mentioned as a factor by either side outside of that depicted on the maps. Also a wheat field could have been harvested by July depending on the wheat planted. Winter wheat is planted from mid-August through October and is harvested from mid-May to mid-July. Also a field could be fallow and still be called a wheat or corn field. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 pm 

Now, this leads to my next query on the same subject:

Where are the fences?

Most times you find organised fields planted with crops you will find fences to go with them. Now we don't have fences in the HPS system though we do have a number of stone walls with their attendant defensive benefits.

I'm wondering now about the omission of fences from this and other battle maps. If we accept that there was little in the way of hindrance to movement or sight from fields of standing crops at Gettysburg ...then we must surely acknowledge that fences were a significant factor over the 3 Days?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:38 pm 
I'm with you on the fences, I have often wondered where they are as they certainly played a major part in the battle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:23 am 

The scale of HPS games makes it difficult to put in fences except where they affected the flow of the battle like along roads. Gettysburg map has most of the stone fences shown since there weren't as many but almost no rail fences. For example between the Emmittsburg Road and Devils Den there were at least ten rail fences (worm type) that had to be crossed. Almost every section of field was fenced in and all roads and paths had fences along both sides. On a 120 yard hex that means almost every hex would have wood fence sides.

If you have been to the Antietam battlefield you would see how formable some of thes zigzaging rail fences were. If a regiment had time they sent men forward to make gaps in them so the line wouldn't be stopped to tear it down when they advanced. Also, at Gettysburg there were two types of wood fences extensively used. The more common was the rail worm fence which provided quite a bit of cover and could easily be turned into a pretty good wall. The other which was mainly around the farm houses were post and rail fences. These could be easily torn down and didn't provide much coverage from fire.