American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:37 pm 

I am looking for the definition of "Embedded Melee". I saw it explained somewhere a few years ago but cannot now find it. It seems that my recall of that definition is different from some other members of the club. I know that the general purpose of the house rule is to prevent the blitzkreig effect in turn based games. The "Optional Melee Resolution Phase" has solved this problem for single player games but Embedded Melee is still needed for multiplayer games.

Please be as detailed as possible in your explanation with regards to the three areas of Movement, Gun Fire and Melee. These are the areas governed by this house rule. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:03 pm 

I believe that you may find some of what you are looking for at this older MD post: http://wargame.ch/board/acwgc/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14702&hilit=embedded.

The search function of this forum is a most useful tool.

Commander, Army of the Tennessee
(2011-2014 UA CoA/GinC)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 am 

Here's how I've always played it in my multi-player games:

Phase 1: You can move and fire as many units as you wish, in any order, including moving into position and firing with any units you intend to use in melee combat.
Phase 2: You conduct all melee combat together.
Phase 3: Once you start to move or fire any units again the melee phase is over and no more melee combat is allowed. You may move and fire with any units still able to do so.

However, I am aware that some people play without Phase 3, which effectively prohibits any exploitation of melee success, and more closely mirrors the optional melee resolution setting that is often used in single player games, with melee combat being the last thing a player does.

Both approaches limit blitzkrieg tactics, but the two phase approach reduces attacking options further. It's all a matter of personal taste and opinion on how far you want to go in making the games play in a more historically accurate fashion. I'd be happy to play it either way in a multi-player game. In a single player game I'll always use the otional melee resolution setting.